|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Duane do when a truck stops at the end of his driveway?
(a) Waves it in.
(b) Arms himself with a gun.
(c) Runs as fast as he can.
(d) Calls Mike.
2. What does Jim see Mrs. Doubbet hunched over at the school in Chapter 7?
(a) The body of a dead teacher.
(b) A gun.
(c) A decorated cake.
(d) A kittten.
3. What does Sandra tell the boys has happened to Tubby?
(a) He is at home sick.
(b) He has run away from home.
(c) He has been kidnapped.
(d) He is visiting a relative.
4. How many feet off the ground does Jim climb in order to see in Mrs. Doubbet's room?
(a) Ten feet.
(b) Thirty feet.
(c) Twelve feet.
(d) Twenty five feet.
5. What does Mrs. Moon recall a man being hanged for in the past?
(a) Imprisoning children.
(b) Stealing from the Ashley-Montagues.
(c) Killing a young girl.
(d) Trying to burn down Old Central.
6. Where do Dale and Lawrence discover new furrows in the ground?
(a) Outside the post office.
(b) By the nursery school.
(c) In their backyard.
(d) Around the baseball diamond.
7. Where do the boys meet in Chapter 10?
(a) In their group treehouse.
(b) At the Cave.
(c) Mike's chicken house.
(d) In the middle of Duane's cornfield.
8. What does Kevin see on his property at night in Chapter 10?
(a) The rendering truck.
(b) A large slimy insect.
(c) A figure in a WWI helmet.
(d) A pack of running dogs.
9. What does the Stewarts' next door neighbor find in the basement in Chapter 22?
(a) A garden snake.
(b) A stuffed animal.
(c) A drowned cat.
(d) A dead monkey-like creature.
10. Who informs Duane and his father of Art's death?
(a) Sheriff Barney.
(b) Sheriff Jones.
(c) Sheriff Congden.
(d) Sheriff Harris.
11. What are the walls of the tunnel Mike finds like?
(a) Red and moist.
(b) Green and smelly.
(c) Purplish and muddy.
(d) Jagged and sharp.
12. Where does Duane go for further research in Chapter 13?
(a) Bradley University.
(b) Concordia University.
(c) Kent University.
(d) Lewis University.
13. How did the bell come to be at Old Central?
(a) It was donated by a museum in Chicago.
(b) It was made by a local man for the school.
(c) It was put there by the Ashley-Montague family.
(d) No one knows.
14. Why does Mr. Ashley-Montague say Duane cannot see the historical papers?
(a) Because Mr. Ashley-Montague sees no reason why a child should want to.
(b) Because they are too delicate to handle.
(c) Because they have been lost for the past fifty years.
(d) Because they were burned.
15. Which boy says he will investigate the school to try and find out where Tubby is?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mrs. Moon?
2. How many dark figures get out of the rendering truck at Duane's farm?
3. What are the boys playing when the truck driven by Van Syke passes?
4. Who sneaks to the McBride farm with Mike in Chapter 20?
5. What does Dale see in the water in Chapter 21?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)