• Old Central School in Elm Haven is set to close at the end of the school year in 1960.
• Sixth grader Dale Stewart sits at his desk, waiting for the school day and year to be over.
• In the school's basement lavatory Tubby Cooke discovers a passage hidden in the wall and follows it toward a distant light.
• The school is filled with the sound of screaming which Principal Roon explains is just the janitor fixing the boiler.
• Dale leaves school and notices Cordie Cooke waiting for her brother outside.
• Dale, his brother Lawrence and friends go for a bike ride. They pass the decaying Ashley Mansion.
• Lawrence swears he hears whispering as the boys bike past the school grounds.
• Duane McBride rides in the back of his alcoholic father's pickup truck.
• Duane wants to be a writer and makes copious notes.
• Duane falls asleep with his...
This section contains 2,349 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)