|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Harry feel about Meryl's request?
2. What does Harry think about Aurora's plan?
3. What does Lea reveal about the voice in the hallway at Ronald's apartment?
4. What would happen if Lily is sacrificed on the Stone Table?
5. What does the person in question #154 give Harry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the people Harry encountered at the funeral and why do they want to hire Harry?
2. What does the Summer Lady tell Harry about the Summer and Winter court?
3. What does Aurora say is her motivation for her actions?
4. Where does the magic carriage take Harry and Elaine and what happens immediately upon arriving there?
5. What do Winter and Summer agree to do with Harry and what do they require? Do they fulfill their bargain?
6. How does Harry respond to Meryl's request and why?
7. Who arrives after Harry escapes from Aurora's trap
8. Why is Elaine in Harry's car when he finishes talking with Meryl and what does he do with her?
9. What does Aurora tell Harry about what she plans to do with the Summer Knight power? What will result from her actions?
10. How does Harry get away from the chlorofiend?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Harry Dresden is in some ways a larger-than-life hero. Despite incredible odds, he usually comes out on top, in this book and in the others in the series. Discuss the following:
1. Does having a larger-than-life hero make that person less of a hero? In other words, which of the following is more admirable: a hero who ultimately always "lands on his feet," or one who strives against impossible odds and doesn't succeed?
2. Does a character have to be successful in order to be a hero? Explain your answer.
3. Choose one other character besides Harry who you might call a hero/heroine and explain why you choose that person.
4. Does every work of fiction have to have a hero? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of deaths that take place in Summer Knight. It would seem that the book has a higher rate of murder and death than real life.
1. Discuss why it was necessary to the plot of the book for the Summer Knight to be murdered. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think the death of Meryl added anything to Summer Knight? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. In the end, Aurora and Slate were killed. Discuss why their deaths were necessary to the plot. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Summer Knight has a number of different themes.
1. Trace and analyze the theme of violence in Summer Knight. Does the amount of violence seem comparable to most fantasy books? Does there seem to be violence that is not necessary?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of murder in Summer Knight. Is murder treated carelessly? Does murder seem to mean more or less than in the real world?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of betrayal in Summer Knight. Was Slate's betrayal of Mab bad as opposed to Elaine's betrayal of Aurora? Why?
This section contains 1,242 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)