|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who offers Harry food and water?
2. What bothers Harry about the timing of the first attack on him by the ogre and the ghoul?
3. What is the mist that is pouring into Walmart when Harry and Karrin are there?
4. What does Harry tell Billy and the others with him when they meet to stop Aurora?
5. What does Harry tell Aurora?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Lea take Harry? What does he see there?
2. What does Aurora decide to do with Harry, what does Elaine suggest and what does Elaine say to Harry?
3. How does Harry get away from the chlorofiend?
4. What is the mist that comes into the store and what does Harry do about it?
5. Where do Harry and Murphy run into Grum after leaving the store?
6. What question does Harry ask the mothers and what is their answer?
7. What does Aurora say is her motivation for her actions?
8. For what does Harry apologize to the mothers and what happens immediately when he gets outside the cabin?
9. Who are the people Harry encountered at the funeral and why do they want to hire Harry?
10. What does the Summer Lady tell Harry about the Summer and Winter court?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of deaths that take place in Summer Knight. It would seem that the book has a higher rate of murder and death than real life.
1. Discuss why it was necessary to the plot of the book for the Summer Knight to be murdered. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think the death of Meryl added anything to Summer Knight? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. In the end, Aurora and Slate were killed. Discuss why their deaths were necessary to the plot. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In Summer Knight, there seems to be more individuals/groups who are not trustworthy than are: Discuss one of the following:
1. Name two groups/factions/individuals who are untrustworthy and analyze their actions and impact upon the plot throughout Summer Knight.
2. Name two groups/factions/individuals who are trustworthy and analyze their actions and impact upon the plot throughout Summer Knight.
3. Who do you think Harry trusts in this book and is his trust well founded? Who does he mistrust and why? Give specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
Whenever reading a science fiction or fantasy novel, one must become familiar with new terminology that explains concepts or technology that is not a part of the "real" world. In the case of Summer Knight, there is a great deal of new magical terms and familiar words with new meanings. Discuss the following:
1. Find five terms that are a part of the world of Summer Knight that are a part of the language but mean something different. Define the words as used in Summer Knight and compare those five words as to how they are currently used in the American English language.
2. How does the language of Summer Knight from that of real world Chicago? Are there words you did not know in Summer Knight? What? How do you learn their meanings? What does it mean to grasp a the meaning of a word through its context? Can you do that in Summer Knight? Give an example of several words whose definition are made clear through the context of how the word is used.
3. There are ways of learning about a new world or time when reading a science fiction or fantasy novel. Discuss the ways you were able to understand the world of Summer Knight through its vocabulary. Did you have to look up any words?
4. Were there any words you never really understood from Summer Knight? Which ones? Why?
This section contains 1,329 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)