|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Elaine find sanctuary?
2. Who does Morgan accuse of working with the Red Court?
3. How does Harry feel about Mab owning his contract?
4. Who is arguing when Harry arrives at a funeral?
5. What had Justin tried to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened that caused Harry to seclude himself and how is he dealing with it?
2. What does Wizard LaFortier state to the council, what is his opinion of Harry and what is Harry's argument against LaFortier?
3. What line of work is Murphy in and why would Harry go see her?
4. What does Morgan do when he comes to Harry's when Elaine is there?
5. Describe Harry's dream about Susan from Chapter 10.
6. What happens to Harry at Ronald's funeral with three people he hears talking?
7. What are the knights of the courts, why do they exist? What does Harry realize when discussing his case with Bob?
8. What does the man in Ronald's apartment smell and what does he and Harry do?
9. What happens while Billy and Harry talk with a truck of men? How does Harry respond?
10. What does Elaine tell Harry when he arrives home from Murphy's and finds her in his apartment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of deaths that take place in Summer Knight. It would seem that the book has a higher rate of murder and death than real life.
1. Discuss why it was necessary to the plot of the book for the Summer Knight to be murdered. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think the death of Meryl added anything to Summer Knight? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. In the end, Aurora and Slate were killed. Discuss why their deaths were necessary to the plot. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Summer Knight falls in the genre called fantasy. Discuss the following:
1. What is the definition of genre? Fantasy genre? How do you know Summer Knight falls in the genre of fantasy? Give examples.
2. Other than entertainment, why do you think people might read fantasy?
3. Fantasy is sometimes considered second-rate fiction or that it is not good enough to be studied in academe. Why do you think this is true? Do you think it is a valid argument?
Essay Topic 3
Summer Knight has a number of different themes.
1. Trace and analyze the theme of violence in Summer Knight. Does the amount of violence seem comparable to most fantasy books? Does there seem to be violence that is not necessary?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of murder in Summer Knight. Is murder treated carelessly? Does murder seem to mean more or less than in the real world?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of betrayal in Summer Knight. Was Slate's betrayal of Mab bad as opposed to Elaine's betrayal of Aurora? Why?
This section contains 1,122 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)