|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3, Chapter 8 The End of an Era.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who asks some of Scopes' students to testify against him even though they are reluctant to?
2. Bryan immediately goes on the offense for his crusade, revising what would have been his closing argument into what?
(a) An argument to counter an appeal.
(b) A legal request for anti-evolution laws in other states.
(c) A debate platform.
(d) A fiery speech.
3. The ACLU defends teachers fired for opposing World War I and fights school systems over what mandatory exercises?
(a) Bible reading.
4. What does the jaw for the Piltdown skull appear to be of?
(a) An unknown canine.
(b) An unknown feline.
(c) An underdeveloped bear.
(d) An unknown ape.
5. The nation's press quickly turns from the trial to what?
(a) Fundamentalist demonstrations.
(b) Scopes' appeals.
(c) Other topics.
(d) Significance it has.
Short Answer Questions
1. As it makes its way into the press, papers proclaim the Piltdown skull proves whose theory of evolution?
2. Why are Christian scientists less able to enter the fray and offer theories allowing both the Bible and science?
3. What does Larson say transpires when the chief prosecutor calls for the end of the questioning?
4. In June 1925, Scopes meets with which three well-known scientists who help shape public response to his trial?
5. Prosecutors open by briefly arguing that Scopes violates the law by teaching that humans evolve from other life forms and what?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)