|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3, Chapter 8 The End of an Era.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Darrow defends John Scopes for violating which laws, saying evolution cannot be taught in public schools?
2. Scopes is the ideal defendant in many ways being young, single, shy, well-liked, and what else?
(a) Willing to pursue postgraduate studies in law.
(b) Having little to lose.
(c) Can offer soapbox replies about evolution.
(d) Plans to publish book about the trial.
3. Bryan comes how many days before the trial, giving him control over the "stage" of Dayton until defense arrival?
4. In defending conscientious objectors and war protesters, National Civil Liberties Bureau activists see that what are not the same?
(a) Majority rule, freedom of religion.
(b) Majority rule, liberty.
(c) Majority rule, freedom of spech.
(d) Majority rule, freedom of education.
5. Journalists covering the case note that what is lacking between the prosecution and defense?
(a) Bickering, admiration.
(b) Professionalism, animosity.
(c) Hostility, tension.
(d) Admiration, respect.
Short Answer Questions
1. On Tuesday (14th), the judge lets a local pastors' association select subsequent ministers to pray, and they choose which?
2. Bryan immediately goes on the offense for his crusade, revising what would have been his closing argument into what?
3. The scene that the author refers to in his Introduction is said to be reminiscent of what dramatic scenes?
4. Scopes leaves following the verdict to study where?
5. The prosecution argues that the law simply bars teaching evolution, regardless of what?
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)