|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 2 Government by the People.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As it makes its way into the press, papers proclaim the Piltdown skull proves whose theory of evolution?
(a) Charles Darwin.
(b) Georges Cuvier.
(c) Chevalier de Lamarck.
(d) Charles Dawson.
2. Bryan hears of the proposal to ban teaching evolution, and as he supports the idea in talks and writing, he does what else?
(a) Addresses the state Senate.
(b) Avoids addressing governmental bodies.
(c) Addresses the state House of Representatives.
(d) Addresses joint sessions of the state's legislature.
3. Bryan involves himself in how many state anti-evolution proposals in 1923?
4. The initial bill, calling for a ban on teaching evolution in schools, results in defeat by how many votes in the state's House of Representatives?
5. World War I plays an important role in the tensions between modernists and fundamentalists as what happens?
(a) Many fundamentalists support the war, and global affairs intervention.
(b) Many modernists support the war, and global affairs intervention.
(c) Many modernists oppose the war, and global affairs intervention.
(d) Nearly all modernists support the war, and global affairs intervention.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the response Darrow is seeking when questioning Bryan in the introduction?
2. Despite its rise, the anti-evolution movement lacks a clear, specific legal or political issue until when?
3. Darrow defends John Scopes for violating which laws, saying evolution cannot be taught in public schools?
4. What is Bryan's view regarding World War I?
5. What position does Bryan previously serve in, but later resign from?
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)