|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 2 Government by the People.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What position does Bryan previously serve in, but later resign from?
(a) Secretary of Treasury.
(b) Secretary of the Army.
(c) Secretary of Education.
(d) Secretary of State.
2. Why does Darrow volunteer to defend Scopes beyond believing teachers should be able to instruct evolution?
(a) Seeks freedom of public education.
(b) Needs national publicity.
(c) Wants to debate Bryan.
(d) Feels concern for Scopes.
3. World War I plays an important role in the tensions between modernists and fundamentalists as what happens?
(a) Many fundamentalists support the war, and global affairs intervention.
(b) Nearly all modernists support the war, and global affairs intervention.
(c) Many modernists oppose the war, and global affairs intervention.
(d) Many modernists support the war, and global affairs intervention.
4. Anti-evolutionists gain a political and legal issue when a group in which state calls for a law against teaching evolution?
5. What do modernists argue matters regarding the accounts within biblical scriptures?
(a) Interpretation; application to children's education.
(b) Precision; unerring historical accuracy.
(c) Understanding; application to people's needs.
(d) Precision; unerring scientific accuracy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Over a century before the Piltdown skull find, who argues that environmental changes may affect biological makeup, and changes pass down to offspring?
2. Greater student numbers plus the growing fundamentalist movement means conservative Christian parents find what is coming into conflict?
3. The combination of what laws result in more students remaining in school beyond the elementary level?
4. What does Bryan do in view of a literal Biblical interpretation and scientific facts when Darrow questions him?
5. The 1920s see some evolution theories fitting within Christian views change as anti-evolutionists gain ground, primarily among whom?
This section contains 322 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)