|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 2 Government by the People.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Bryan hears of the proposal to ban teaching evolution, and as he supports the idea in talks and writing, he does what else?
(a) Avoids addressing governmental bodies.
(b) Addresses the state House of Representatives.
(c) Addresses the state Senate.
(d) Addresses joint sessions of the state's legislature.
2. When does John W. Butler propose it a misdemeanor to teach that man evolves, "from a lower order of animal" instead of the biblical account?
3. How many conservatives gather at the first World's Christian Fundamentals Association conference in 1919?
4. After the war, the cultural crisis grows worse for fundamentalists and they begin to take what action?
5. The combination of what laws result in more students remaining in school beyond the elementary level?
(a) Labor union, compulsory education.
(b) Child labor, labor union.
(c) Compulsory education, apprentice.
(d) Child labor, compulsory education.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who spurs the idea that science and religion conflict, and deny a growing consensus among theologians and scientists by the 1900s?
2. Larson presents the leading players, Darrow and Bryan, and provides a sense of what between them?
3. Larson says the defense strategy of calling a prosecutor to the stand to testify as a hostile witness is what?
4. After defeat of the first bill for a ban on teaching evolution, Bryan argues that who should decide what is taught?
5. Some geologists reconcile biblical accounts with theories of the earth's lengthy geologic past and extinct species by positing how?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)