|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 3 In Defense of Individual Liberty.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The initial bill, calling for a ban on teaching evolution in schools, results in defeat by how many votes in the state's House of Representatives?
2. What is the response Darrow is seeking when questioning Bryan in the introduction?
(a) Most scriptural passages need interpretation.
(b) All scriptural passages need interpretation.
(c) No scriptural passages need interpretation.
(d) Some scriptural passages need interpretation.
3. Paleontologist Arthur Smith Woodward labels the Piltdown skull from a new species from what extinct primate?
(a) Eoanthropus dasoni.
4. Larson says the defense strategy of calling a prosecutor to the stand to testify as a hostile witness is what?
5. As desire for academic freedom spreads to high schools, the ACLU defends teachers and what else?
(a) Makes appeals to state supreme courts.
(b) Organizes local civil protests.
(c) Makes appeals to school boards.
(d) Publishes statements on the issue.
Short Answer Questions
1. The scene that the author refers to in his Introduction is said to be reminiscent of what dramatic scenes?
2. Talk of evolution and new fossil finds have anti-evolutionists responding how beyond calling for teaching limits?
3. Why does Darrow volunteer to defend Scopes beyond believing teachers should be able to instruct evolution?
4. Bryan and fundamentalists help revive talk about evolution and religious implications into what type of political issue?
5. By 1925, the ACLU still seeks a court win, mainly as the first amendment's wording does not necessarily protect freedom of speech at what level?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)