|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Egalitaire: What do souls think about this afterlife?
2. Mirrors: How many stages does death have in this afterlife?
3. Circle of Friends: What do you begin to long for in this afterlife?
4. Perpetuity: What is missing from this afterlife?
5. Perpetuity: What does God hope will happen to the sinners?
Short Essay Questions
1. Giantess: What happened as a result of the princely man's attempt to communicate with the Giantess?
2. Distance: Everyone in this afterlife is allowed to ask the Creator one question. One man asks why God keeps himself separate from man. What is God's answer?
3. Adhesion: What is the adhesive (alluded to in the title) that holds humans together in this story?
4. Oz: Who gets to see God in this story?
5. Giantess: Why does the princely looking man in this afterlife study humans?
6. Spirals: What do the creatures in this afterlife want from humans?
7. The Cast: As you live your life, all of the people in the background of your life are actors. They are those in the afterlife who must play "roles" in your life. However, not every actor is happy being a character in your life. Why are they so dissatisfied?
8. Sum: In this afterlife all of your life experiences are grouped together. You can't experience something different until you have run through all of the experience in one chain. For example, you can't take a shower until you are in the shower experience period of the afterlife. Why would this make you long for your life on earth?
9. Scales: What is so special about the relationship between God and humans in this afterlife?
10. Angst: Why do the humans in this story dread returning to the afterlife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Unnatural part of this story is the absence of death. The reader is shown a world in which death is not a fear and where people will go to great lengths to reinsert death into life. Can you imagine a world in which there is no death? What would that world be like? Do you think people would wish to commit suicide and kill others? Why or why not? What do you think gives life meaning? Does death give meaning to life? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In this story God is so vast that the beings in her universe feel it is pointless to try and communicate with her. The being in the story states that the size difference between the Giantess and the beings trying to influence her was too large for them to really communicate. Do you think this is true? Is their size difference the reason the Giantess destroyed planets and elements when they sent her a message? What else may have made the Giantess behave in the way she did?
In other words, how might the princely-looking man be wrong in his interpretations of the Giantess's reaction?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of this story the man behind the curtain tells the brave man that true bravery is measured by whether a person can face the absence of the Creator. How do you feel about this? How would you feel if you believed all your life there was a Creator and suddenly found out there wasn't? Would you be scared? Happy? Nervous? Why would you feel the way you do? How does facing this reality show that someone is brave?
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)