|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Oz: What does the Creator look like at first?
2. Distance: Why does God keep his distance from man?
3. Egalitaire: This god is very unusual because he/she is:
4. Mary: How does God feel about Mary?
5. Reins: Why did the angels sew discord against God?
Short Essay Questions
1. Descent of Species: People in this afterlife are able to determine what they want to be in the next life. However, what can happen if they aren't careful?
2. Oz: What does God say is the true measure of bravery?
3. Egalitaire: How did the people who died feel about this afterlife?
4. Spirals: Why do the creatures in this afterlife think humans are so intelligent?
5. Circle of Friends: This afterlife is populated by people who you felt were important enough to remember from your life. You never meet a stranger and you have the chance to renew old bonds and friendships. However, people are not happy here. Why?
6. Oz: Who gets to see God in this story?
7. Adhesion: What is the adhesive (alluded to in the title) that holds humans together in this story?
8. Perpetuity: Why does God treat sinners so well in this afterlife?
9. Giantess: Why does the princely looking man in this afterlife study humans?
10. Mirrors: In this story death is a two part process. The first death comes when a person takes their final breath, but the second part does not come until later. What kills the person the second time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Everything in this story goes to an afterlife when it dies. That includes people, furniture and court sessions. Even our cells go to their own afterlife when we die.
How do you think this is possible? Does this mean that everything has a soul? An energy? A life on earth? Why do you think the way you do?
Essay Topic 2
The Collectors have created human beings in an effort to understand why some things stick together. They study man to discover why some human relationships work while others fail. So far their experiment has been both costly and time consuming as they still are baffled by human relationships.
1) List the reasons in the story that people stay together in relationships.
2) List the reasons in the story that people break off relationships.
Pretend you are the Collector who must come to a final conclusion about human adhesion once and for all. What do you conclude is the reason man forms lasting relationships? Why do they form impermanent ones? Explain your answer using evidence the Collectors have in the story.
Essay Topic 3
The Cartographers have created man to help them map the earth. Man is equipped with cameras with which to view the terrain and bring images back to the Cartographers in the afterlife. But man ends up disappointing their creators. How does man disappoint the Cartographers? Why is man more interested in other people than in the earth? If this were a real scenario, do you think it would really happen this way? Why or why not?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)