|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the date that the Germans will leave Lucile Angellier's village?
2. What does Lucile tell Madame Angellier that her son is hiding in Dijon?
3. What does Madame Angellier note while she is watching the village from her bedroom window?
4. Where does Lucile invite Bruno to work after he is smoked out of his room?
5. How do the women of Lucile Angellier's village tend to behave towards the German soldiers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the atmosphere on the farm where Jean-Marie Michaud is staying?
2. How has the war affected Corbin and Count de Furieres differently?
3. How does Madame Angellier feel about her daughter-in-law, Lucile?
4. What happens between Lucile and Bruno while they are waiting for the German soldiers to find the Perrins' possessions?
5. Who does Gabriel Corte meet in the bar while at the luxury hotel, and what conclusion does he draw from being amongst these people?
6. What does Benoit come to the Angellier house to ask and why? What is the response to his favor?
7. Describe the Viscountess Montmort.
8. What happens to Madame Angellier as Lucile and Bruno become closer?
9. What happens between the Viscountess de Montmort and Benoit while the Viscountess is out on one of her nighttime walks?
10. What is Benoit's attitude toward Madeleine's interest in things outside the farm and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two of the main characters of the novel. Compare and contrast the personalities, experiences, and development of these characters. What do we learn from these characters? Do the characters ever cross paths in the novel? If so, what happens to the characters as a result of their interaction?
Essay Topic 2
Nemirovsky does not launch into extensive descriptions of her characters but rather allows her characters to reveal their own personalities, as well as the relationships they have with other characters. How do the characters in the novel accomplish this? How do we learn about the characters through the action in the novel? What do we learn about the characters through their relationships with other characters? What does this do for the novel?
Essay Topic 3
The novel opens in June and the weather and scenery are described throughout the novel as variations of lovely. Discuss the contrast between the weather and war. Why does the author constantly remind the reader of the nice weather? How does the weather affect the moods of the characters and the novel? How did the author put an emphasis on this connection by naming the first part of the novel Storm in June? Also, discuss the connection between the blossoming of spring in the second part of the novel with the blossoming of the love between Lucile and Bruno. Provide description and examples.
This section contains 1,231 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)