|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the Michauds astonished to find in Chapter 28?
2. What does Bruno warn Lucile about Kurt Bonnet?
3. How is Bruno smoked out of his room?
4. When do the German troops arrive at the Angellier's village?
5. Who is Gabriel Corte disturbed to hear has fled to Portugal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Charles Langelet in Chapter 29, and why is it ironic at this point?
2. What happens to Madame Angellier as Lucile and Bruno become closer?
3. What happens to the relationship between the French villagers and the German soldiers after the incident involving Benoit?
4. What is the atmosphere on the farm where Jean-Marie Michaud is staying?
5. What happens to the careers of the Michauds, and what do they do about it?
6. Why does Madame Angellier make a visit to her farms? What is her opinion of the farmers?
7. What is the atmosphere of the town as the German's depart for Russia?
8. Why are the Germans going to arrest Benoit and what happens when they arrive at the Sabarie house?
9. Describe the scene of the German soldiers in Bussy.
10. What is the nature of the marriage between Lucile and Gaston Angellier?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the presence of one of the following themes in the novel: money, love, food, enemies, secrets, friendship, charity. How is the theme present in the novel? What characters or situations does the theme relate to? Provide examples. What is the theme's importance in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Many authors write fiction based on a period in history from which they are far removed. However, Irene Nemirovsky was writing this novel based on France in World War II during the time the events occurred. What influence do you think this had on the novel? How can we see the author's feelings about the war and the occupation through her book? Do you think any of the characters echo the author's feelings? Which ones and why?
Essay Topic 3
A large part of the novel focuses on the citizens' evacuation of Paris, their voyage, and the strain it has on the towns where they relocate to on their journey. What characters take part in this evacuation? Describe the journey for the refugees. What is the reaction of the townspeople where the refugees try to find safe haven throughout the novel? Why are the townspeople torn between wanting to help and wanting this problem out of their towns?
This section contains 1,370 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)