|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, what are the family and the servants listening to on the radio?
2. What is the name of the valet in Chapter 3?
3. Where is the elder Monsieur Pericand taken when he is found after the Pericands flee the burning village?
4. Which material possessions does Charlotte Pericand forget after fleeing the burning village?
5. Where do Father Philippe and the boys camp for the night?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Charlotte Pericand treat her father-in-law and why?
2. Describe the Michauds.
3. According to the conversation between Hortense, Jules, and Aline, what are their feelings toward the rich?
4. Describe the feelings of Hubert Pericand about the war between Germany and France.
5. What does Hubert find when he arrives to join in the fight on the Allier River?
6. Describe Gabriel Corte's attitude about the migration of refugees.
7. What is the feeling of the townspeople when the Germans finally arrive in the town where Arlette Corail is staying?
8. What does the elder Monsieur Pericand dictate in his will to the notary?
9. What is the status of Jean-Marie Michauds health in Chapter 24?
10. How do the experiences while fleeing Paris affect the character of Gabriel Corte?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Materialism is a major theme found throughout the novel and shared by many of the main characters. Discuss the theme of materialism in the novel. Which characters display their materialism and what effect does it have on the character or their plight in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the attitudes of the poor toward the rich. These attitudes are largely expressed through Hortense Gaillard and her traveling party and the other servants of the novel. What are these people's opinions of the rich? Does the fact that they work for the rich factor into their opinions? Do the poor have a harder time making it during the war? Provide examples.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the couples featured in the novel, namely the Pericands, the Michauds, and Gabriel Corte and Florence, and their relationships. Include answers to some of the following questions: What is their relationship like? What do their relationships with each other teach us about each specific character? How does the war and exodus from Paris affect the couple's relationship?
This section contains 1,210 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)