|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Father Philippe and the boys eat before they camp for the night?
(a) Sandwiches they have brought with them.
(b) Fish out of the stream.
(c) Strawberries from the garden.
(d) Vegetables growing nearby.
2. How is Charles Langelet "scandalized" in Chapter 22?
(a) A refugee tries to steal his watch.
(b) He realizes how many people are uncultured.
(c) He has to give a ride to a prostitute.
(d) He sees a man walking with no clothes on.
3. In Chapter 2, what are the family and the servants listening to on the radio?
(a) News report about a local political campaign.
(b) A comedy program.
(c) Classical music.
(d) Reports of the approaching bombing of Paris.
4. How are the Michauds ultimately forced to travel to Tours?
(a) They will take the train.
(b) They have to walk.
(c) They will ride in another car.
(d) They have to ride their bicycles.
5. What dangerous area is Father Philippe Pericand trying to avoid?
Short Answer Questions
1. When the first German arrives on a motorcycle at the village where Arlette Corail is staying, what surprises the women?
2. What does Philippe's father do for a living?
3. What has happened to Charles Langelet's servants?
4. In Chapter 13, what does the young girl of the house do that soothes the soldier?
5. In Chapter 24, what does Jean-Marie Michaud do when one of the young women's faces comes close to his?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Maurice Michaud's view of the migration and his feelings regarding his situation?
2. Describe the character of Charlotte Pericand.
3. According to the conversation between Hortense, Jules, and Aline, what are their feelings toward the rich?
4. How does Charles Langelet feel about his fellow refugees? Why?
5. Describe the feelings of Hubert Pericand about the war between Germany and France.
6. What happens between Charles Langelet and the young couple he meets on the road?
7. What does the elder Monsieur Pericand dictate in his will to the notary?
8. What more is revealed about Charlotte Pericand in Chapter 21?
9. What happens once Gabriel Corte receives some food and why is it ironic considering his attitude about his situation?
10. Describe the Michauds.
This section contains 1,283 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)