|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following characters in NOT one of the group that has had a run-in with Gabriel Corte?
2. Where is Philippe Pericand's parish?
3. Why can't the director of the Children's Home evacuate the children from Paris?
(a) He is afraid to leave Paris.
(b) He has resigned his position.
(c) He has to attend to his sick wife.
(d) He is in the hospital.
4. At the beginning of the novel, what are the citizens waking up to prepare for?
(a) An air raid.
(d) A train trip.
5. What ultimately happens to Father Philippe at the end of Chapter 25?
(a) He hides until the boys run away.
(b) He kills one of the boys.
(c) He is stoned to death.
(d) He leaves the boys and goes home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What character is introduced in Chapter 3?
2. What happens while the Michauds are waiting to take a train to Tours?
3. What disturbs Father Philippe during his rest while he and the boys are camping?
4. What thoughts are bothering Jean-Marie Michaud?
5. What does Charles Langelet notice about the young man he meets?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hubert find when he arrives to join in the fight on the Allier River?
2. Why is Father Philippe Pericand torn by his feelings about the boys he is caring for?
3. What does Jeanne Michaud see while on the road to Tours that makes her cry and why does it affect her?
4. What is the atmosphere of Paris and among its citizens in Chapters 5 and 6?
5. What does Philippe Pericand volunteer to do when the citizens of Paris begin to evacuate the city?
6. Describe the character of Charlotte Pericand.
7. Describe the Pericand's charity in Chapter 10 and why it comes to an abrupt stop.
8. How do the experiences while fleeing Paris affect the character of Gabriel Corte?
9. What is the status of Jean-Marie Michauds health in Chapter 24?
10. Describe Gabriel Corte's attitude about the migration of refugees.
This section contains 1,066 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)