|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Florence share with the maid and the driver of their car?
2. How are the Michauds ultimately forced to travel to Tours?
(a) They will ride in another car.
(b) They will take the train.
(c) They have to ride their bicycles.
(d) They have to walk.
3. In Chapter 16, where have the Pericand family found a place to sleep?
(a) In the parlor of a house owned by a wealthy businessman.
(b) In a large room in a house owned by two elderly women.
(c) In the vestibule of the train station.
(d) In a small hotel on the outskirts of Tours.
4. What does a passing soldier offer to Florence?
(a) A loaf of bread.
(b) A bowl of soup.
(c) A sum of money.
(d) A flower.
5. What has Jules done concerning Gabriel Corte?
(a) Sold him a can of petrol.
(b) Asked for his autograph.
(c) Stolen a basket of food from him.
(d) Given him directions to a hotel.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Gabriel Corte end up sleeping after he refuses his hotel room?
2. Where are the young couple that Charles Langlet meets headed?
3. Where is Philippe Pericand's parish?
4. What is Charles Langelet doing when he is introduced in Chapter 7?
5. What disturbs Father Philippe during his rest while he and the boys are camping?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the atmosphere of Paris and among its citizens in Chapters 5 and 6?
2. In the opening of the novel, what is happening in Paris and what are the attitudes of the citizens?
3. Describe the Pericand's charity in Chapter 10 and why it comes to an abrupt stop.
4. What is the feeling of the townspeople when the Germans finally arrive in the town where Arlette Corail is staying?
5. Why is Father Philippe Pericand torn by his feelings about the boys he is caring for?
6. What has Hubert Pericand decided to do concerning the war and why?
7. What happens once Gabriel Corte receives some food and why is it ironic considering his attitude about his situation?
8. What does Jeanne Michaud see while on the road to Tours that makes her cry and why does it affect her?
9. What is the status of Jean-Marie Michauds health in Chapter 24?
10. What does Hubert find when he arrives to join in the fight on the Allier River?
This section contains 1,184 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)