|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the condition of the soldier in Chapter 13?
(a) He is dying.
(b) He is wounded and not in good condition.
(c) He is feeling strong and vibrant.
(d) He is healing and in good condition.
2. How is Charles Langelet "scandalized" in Chapter 22?
(a) He realizes how many people are uncultured.
(b) He sees a man walking with no clothes on.
(c) A refugee tries to steal his watch.
(d) He has to give a ride to a prostitute.
3. When Hubert finally awakens, after falling asleep in Arlette Corail's room, what terrifies him?
(a) Being so far away from his family.
(b) Learning that the Germans have arrived.
(c) Arlette Corail's advances.
(d) He does not remember where he is.
4. How do the Pericands get to the train station in Saint-Georges?
(a) They pay a man with a donkey and cart.
(b) They borrow bicycles from the townspeople.
(c) They walk, taking turns carrying their possessions.
(d) They drive in their car.
5. What has happened to Charles Langelet's servants?
(a) They are hiding in the cellar.
(b) They have stolen the valuables.
(c) They were arrested by the Germans.
(d) The have fled Paris in fear.
Short Answer Questions
1. What have the local stores run out of in the small town the Pericands are in?
2. In Chapter 24, what does Jean-Marie Michaud do when one of the young women's faces comes close to his?
3. Who has a fondness for champagne and fruit?
4. What is Arlette Corail concerned that it will be difficult to obtain?
5. What does a thief steal from Gabriel and Florence?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character of Charles Langelet.
2. How does Charles Langelet feel about his fellow refugees? Why?
3. What happens once Gabriel Corte receives some food and why is it ironic considering his attitude about his situation?
4. Describe the scene between Corbin and the Michauds concerning their voyage to Tours. What does Corbin threaten the Michauds with if they do not meet him in Tours?
5. Describe the feelings of Hubert Pericand about the war between Germany and France.
6. How do the experiences while fleeing Paris affect the character of Gabriel Corte?
7. Describe the character of Charlotte Pericand.
8. What is Maurice Michaud's view of the migration and his feelings regarding his situation?
9. How does Charlotte Pericand treat her father-in-law and why?
10. How does Chapter 20, with the scene of the cat in the garden, contrast with Chapter 21, as the Pericands flee the burning village?
This section contains 1,200 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)