|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What disease did Philippe Pericand have?
(c) Small Pox.
2. Why can't the director of the Children's Home evacuate the children from Paris?
(a) He is afraid to leave Paris.
(b) He has to attend to his sick wife.
(c) He has resigned his position.
(d) He is in the hospital.
3. At the beginning of the novel, what are the citizens waking up to prepare for?
(c) An air raid.
(d) A train trip.
4. What does a thief steal from Gabriel and Florence?
(a) Their car.
(b) Gabriel's manuscript.
(c) Florence's necklace.
(d) A food basket.
5. Which of the following best describe Charles Langelet?
(a) He is a large man with a heart condition.
(b) He is a young man in excellent health.
(c) He is disabled and must use a wheelchair.
(d) He is a small and feeble man.
6. What institute does the Pericand family contribute money to?
(a) The art museum of Paris.
(b) The Children's Home for unfortunate children.
(c) The French national music school.
(d) The Paris prison.
7. What has Jules done concerning Gabriel Corte?
(a) Given him directions to a hotel.
(b) Sold him a can of petrol.
(c) Asked for his autograph.
(d) Stolen a basket of food from him.
8. What are the names of the young women that are nursing Jean-Marie Michaud back to health?
(a) Lucile and Madeleine.
(b) Lucile and Arlette.
(c) Madeleine and Cecile.
(d) Lucile and Cecile.
9. In Chapter 2, what are the family and the servants listening to on the radio?
(a) News report about a local political campaign.
(b) Reports of the approaching bombing of Paris.
(c) A comedy program.
(d) Classical music.
10. What character is introduced in Chapter 13?
(a) Benoit Sabarie.
(b) Bruno von Falk.
(c) Lucile Angellier.
(d) Jean Marie Michaud.
11. What has happened to Charles Langelet's servants?
(a) They are hiding in the cellar.
(b) They were arrested by the Germans.
(c) They have stolen the valuables.
(d) The have fled Paris in fear.
12. Which of the Pericand children guards the cat and is afraid of losing him?
13. When Hubert finally awakens, after falling asleep in Arlette Corail's room, what terrifies him?
(a) Learning that the Germans have arrived.
(b) He does not remember where he is.
(c) Being so far away from his family.
(d) Arlette Corail's advances.
14. Which of the following characters in NOT one of the group that has had a run-in with Gabriel Corte?
15. What does the senior Monsieur Pericand realize he needs to do once he is wrapped up and put in the car?
(a) He forgot his cat.
(b) He needs to use the bathroom.
(c) He is tired.
(d) He needs to check his luggage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What have the local stores run out of in the small town the Pericands are in?
2. What does the hotel room that Gabriel Corte refuses to take look out on?
3. How old is Hubert?
4. What makes Hortense cry with pain in her heart?
5. Who does Jeanne Michaud often thinks she sees on her way to Tours?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)