|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the elder Monsieur Pericand ask for in Chapter 23?
(a) The priest.
(b) The notary.
(c) His maid.
2. Who is occupying the Michauds' seats when they reach the car they are to travel to Tours in?
(a) Arlette Corail and her dog.
(b) Hubert Pericand.
(c) Corbin's wife.
(d) Charles Langelet and his maid.
3. What do Gabriel and Florence find when they reach Tours?
(a) There is no food left in the city.
(b) Their car is out of petrol.
(c) The city has been bombed.
(d) The city is occupied by the Germans.
4. In Chapter 2, what are the family and the servants listening to on the radio?
(a) Classical music.
(b) A comedy program.
(c) Reports of the approaching bombing of Paris.
(d) News report about a local political campaign.
5. Why can't the director of the Children's Home evacuate the children from Paris?
(a) He has resigned his position.
(b) He is in the hospital.
(c) He is afraid to leave Paris.
(d) He has to attend to his sick wife.
6. Who does Charlotte forget after fleeing the burning village?
(c) Her father-in-law.
(d) The cat.
7. When the first German arrives on a motorcycle at the village where Arlette Corail is staying, what surprises the women?
(a) That the German is riding a motorcycle.
(b) How handsome the German is.
(c) That the German is unarmed.
(d) How young the German is.
8. Who does a military officer commandeer a truck from in Chapter 12?
(a) Charlotte Pericand's servants.
(b) Gabriel Corte and Florence.
(c) Philippe Pericand and the orphans he is transporting.
(d) Jean Marie Michaud.
9. In Chapter 24, what does Jean-Marie Michaud do when one of the young women's faces comes close to his?
(a) He smells her hair.
(b) He slaps her face.
(c) He whispers in her ear.
(d) He kisses her cheek.
10. What family is introduced in Chapter 2?
(a) The Langelliers.
(b) The Langelets.
(c) The Pericands.
(d) The Cortes.
11. What does Philippe's father do for a living?
(a) He is a banker.
(b) He is a museum curator.
(c) He is a Catholic priest.
(d) He is a businessman.
12. What is the director of the Children's Home compared to in his description?
(a) A child.
(b) A lizard.
(c) A horse.
(d) A rat.
13. What does Gabriel Corte offer the passing soldier in return for his kindness to Florence?
(a) Her necklace.
(b) Some money.
(c) His business card.
(d) A cigarette.
14. What is the name of the Pericands' cat?
15. What are the names of the young women that are nursing Jean-Marie Michaud back to health?
(a) Lucile and Cecile.
(b) Lucile and Arlette.
(c) Lucile and Madeleine.
(d) Madeleine and Cecile.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jeanne Michaud lead the stray children who are separated from their mothers?
2. Which material possessions does Charlotte Pericand forget after fleeing the burning village?
3. In Chapter 2, what does the father tell the mother that the family must do?
4. Where do Father Philippe and the boys camp for the night?
5. After running away from the fight at the Allier River, who does Hubert meet?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)