|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the names of the young women that are nursing Jean-Marie Michaud back to health?
(a) Madeleine and Cecile.
(b) Lucile and Madeleine.
(c) Lucile and Arlette.
(d) Lucile and Cecile.
2. In the beginning of the novel, what phrase do the younger children quote from their lesson?
(a) "The capital of France is Paris."
(b) "France fought Germany in a war in 1914."
(c) "The earth is a sphere that sits on absolutely nothing."
(d) "Two times two is four."
3. What do Gabriel and Florence find when they reach Tours?
(a) The city has been bombed.
(b) Their car is out of petrol.
(c) The city is occupied by the Germans.
(d) There is no food left in the city.
4. What does Gabriel Corte offer the passing soldier in return for his kindness to Florence?
(a) Some money.
(b) A cigarette.
(c) His business card.
(d) Her necklace.
5. At the beginning of the novel, what are the citizens waking up to prepare for?
(a) A train trip.
(c) An air raid.
6. What ultimately happens to Father Philippe at the end of Chapter 25?
(a) He leaves the boys and goes home.
(b) He is stoned to death.
(c) He kills one of the boys.
(d) He hides until the boys run away.
7. What family is introduced in Chapter 2?
(a) The Cortes.
(b) The Pericands.
(c) The Langelets.
(d) The Langelliers.
8. What disease did Philippe Pericand have?
(b) Small Pox.
9. What have the traveling refugees begun to do in Chapter 19?
(a) Make new homes.
(b) Side with the Germans.
(c) Return to Paris.
(d) Flee further into the countryside.
10. What happens while the Michauds are waiting to take a train to Tours?
(a) The train station is bombed.
(b) They are told they can return to Paris.
(c) They find their son among the wounded soldiers.
(d) Jeanne Michaud becomes very ill.
11. Where do Father Philippe and the boys camp for the night?
(a) On the lawn of a large chateau.
(b) By the stream where they fish.
(c) By the cottage of a local farmer.
(d) Off the side of the road to Tours.
12. In Chapter 11, which character helps others with their baggage?
(b) Jeanne Michaud.
(c) Maurice Michaud.
(d) Charlotte Pericand.
13. What is the profession of Gabriel Corte?
14. Who will evacuate the children of the Children's Home in place of the director?
(a) Charles Langelet.
(b) Charlotte Pericand.
(c) Gabriel Corte.
(d) Philippe Pericand.
15. Who is Monsieur Corbin?
(a) A bank director.
(b) A waiter.
(c) A chef.
(d) A wealthy businessman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does a military officer commandeer a truck from in Chapter 12?
2. In Chapter 2, what are the family and the servants listening to on the radio?
3. Where does Gabriel Corte end up sleeping after he refuses his hotel room?
4. In Chapter 16, where have the Pericand family found a place to sleep?
5. How old is Hubert?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)