|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the teacher in The School?
2. From what country is the author of Courtly Vision?
3. Who is the author of Courtly Vision?
4. What do the children convince their father to let them borrow in The Verb To Kill?
5. What lessons does the overweight woman of Disappearing take in order to get away from her boorish and insulting husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the central theme and structure of Looking for the Rain God relate to other stories in the collection?
2. Describe the structure and imagery in the stories Snow and The Explosion in the Parlor. How do these narratives relate thematically to the whole of the collection?
3. How do Artemis and Orion meet in Orion? What is the outcome for the title character?
4. What physical ailment does the central character in Terminal suffer from?
5. What do Tancredi's two heads do once he grows up in Tancredi?
6. What is the back-story established in Orion? Who are the main characters?
7. What memory is related in the story Snow?
8. What does the protagonist in A Lover's Ear keep with her at all times? What takes place in the climax of the narrative?
9. How do Di Grasso and The Street-Sweeping Show relate thematically?
10. What is implied in the story The Verb To Kill? What do the central characters do in the narrative?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the narrative voice, tense, and structure of La Volpaia. How do the themes and symbolism in this narrative relate to others in the anthology?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the literary technique of imagery, metaphor, symbolism, and motif and identify each in Blackberries and Don't You Blame Anyone. How is the theme of the frailty of human interconnectedness reflected in these works?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the settings and characters of The Grass-Eaters and Preparations. Where and when in Calcutta does The Grass-Eaters take place? How does the author effectively present the squalor of India?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)