|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the narrator's uncle go and find a bride in Family Album?
2. Where is the author of A Lover's Ear from?
3. Who is the author of The Last Days of a Famous Mime?
4. Who is the author of Disappearing?
5. How does the woman in Terminal attempt suicide?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the stories Emilie Plead Choose One Egg and The Grass-Eaters relate to one another?
2. What does the central character in Arrest Me have as his objective? Why?
3. Who is the shoe breaker in The Shoe Breaker? What happens in this story?
4. How do Artemis and Orion meet in Orion? What is the outcome for the title character?
5. What is the back-story established in Orion? Who are the main characters?
6. What activity is the father of Las Papas doing in the narrative? What does he teach his son?
7. What physical ailment does the central character in Terminal suffer from?
8. What central theme do Disappearing, A Lover's Ear, and Facing the Light all share? How are their characters similar?
9. What memory is related in the story Snow?
10. What do Tancredi's two heads do once he grows up in Tancredi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the stories The Blue Jar and Gregory. How do each of the authors use imagery in a different way? How does each story encapsulate time?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss August 25, 1983 and The Elephant, comparing the characters, settings, symbolism and themes in each piece. How does the character of Borges relate to the director in The Elephant?
Essay Topic 3
House Opposite presents an opposing image of societal piety from La Volpaia, one western and one eastern. Describe these different views and how they are reflected in the protagonists.
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)