|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the setting of Looking for the Rain God?
2. What is the name of the teacher in The School?
3. Who is the author of By the Creek?
4. Who wrote The Book?
5. The author of The Explosion in the Parlor is from where?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Artemis and Orion meet in Orion? What is the outcome for the title character?
2. What does the protagonist in A Lover's Ear keep with her at all times? What takes place in the climax of the narrative?
3. Who is the shoe breaker in The Shoe Breaker? What happens in this story?
4. What takes place in Katya? Who are the characters and what actions do they take in the narrative?
5. What do the characters in Looking for the Rain God decide to do in order to bring rain?
6. What is the theme of Lost Keys? Who is the central character?
7. How do the elderly couple in Mr. and Mrs. Martins prepare for death?
8. What does the central character in Arrest Me have as his objective? Why?
9. What physical ailment does the central character in Terminal suffer from?
10. What activity is the father of Las Papas doing in the narrative? What does he teach his son?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the violence depicted in Arrest Me, Orion and The Verb To Kill. How are rape, imprisonment, and murder represented in each of the narratives? How do they relate to the tone of the other stories in the anthology?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the settings and characters of The Grass-Eaters and Preparations. Where and when in Calcutta does The Grass-Eaters take place? How does the author effectively present the squalor of India?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting, characters, and themes in An Insolvable Problem of Genetics. What about the setting informs the characters' racial bias?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)