|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Di Grasso's profession in the story with the same name?
2. Who wrote The Black Dog?
3. Where is the author of Mr. and Mrs. Martins from?
4. Who is the author of The Fifth Story?
5. Who is the author of The Verb To Kill ?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the back-story established in Orion? Who are the main characters?
2. How do Di Grasso and The Street-Sweeping Show relate thematically?
3. What do the characters in Looking for the Rain God decide to do in order to bring rain?
4. What memory is related in the story Snow?
5. Describe the structure and imagery in the stories Snow and The Explosion in the Parlor. How do these narratives relate thematically to the whole of the collection?
6. What is the setting of Di Grasso? From whose perspective is the story told?
7. Who is the shoe breaker in The Shoe Breaker? What happens in this story?
8. What is the theme of Lost Keys? Who is the central character?
9. How does the central theme and structure of Looking for the Rain God relate to other stories in the collection?
10. What does the central character in Arrest Me have as his objective? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss August 25, 1983 and The Elephant, comparing the characters, settings, symbolism and themes in each piece. How does the character of Borges relate to the director in The Elephant?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting of At the River and analyze the story's principle theme of age. How does this story's depiction of aging relate to others in the anthology?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the settings and characters of The Grass-Eaters and Preparations. Where and when in Calcutta does The Grass-Eaters take place? How does the author effectively present the squalor of India?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)