|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the patriarch of the house of Mokgobja do in order to bring rain in Looking for the Rain God?
2. Who wrote Facing the Light?
3. What does the young boy borrow from his father in By the Creek?
4. Where is the author of Disappearing from?
5. Orion is killed by what in the story with his name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the protagonist in A Lover's Ear keep with her at all times? What takes place in the climax of the narrative?
2. What is the theme of Lost Keys? Who is the central character?
3. Describe the structure and imagery in the stories Snow and The Explosion in the Parlor. How do these narratives relate thematically to the whole of the collection?
4. How do the elderly couple in Mr. and Mrs. Martins prepare for death?
5. What does the central character in Arrest Me have as his objective? Why?
6. What physical ailment does the central character in Terminal suffer from?
7. How do the stories Emilie Plead Choose One Egg and The Grass-Eaters relate to one another?
8. What is the back-story established in Orion? Who are the main characters?
9. Who are the characters in Emilie Plead Choose One Egg? What takes place in the story?
10. What is the setting of Di Grasso? From whose perspective is the story told?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting, characters, and themes in An Insolvable Problem of Genetics. What about the setting informs the characters' racial bias?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the narrative voice, tense, and structure of La Volpaia. How do the themes and symbolism in this narrative relate to others in the anthology?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the violence depicted in Arrest Me, Orion and The Verb To Kill. How are rape, imprisonment, and murder represented in each of the narratives? How do they relate to the tone of the other stories in the anthology?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)