|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the dentist in One of These Days?
2. What is the age difference of the men in the hotel room in August 25, 1983?
3. Where is the author of The Boy from?
4. The older Maori tribesman died while doing what in At the River?
5. The author of The Elephant comes from where?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the narrator's friend in At the River? How does he discover this?
2. What takes place in the story Homage to Isaac Babel? Who are the main characters?
3. Discuss and describe the imagery in the story Blackberries. How does this imagery support the narrative's themes?
4. How is the story On Hope different thematically and structurally from other narratives of the collection?
5. What is the setting of Blue? What is troubling the citizens in the narrative?
6. How does Richard Brautigan make use of imagery and dramatic twist in The Weather in San Francisco?
7. What is the central theme in At the River? How is this manifested in the central characters?
8. Who is the central character in La Volpaia? Who joins him on his journey?
9. Who is the central character in House Opposite? What decision does he make in the narrative?
10. How does the dentist get revenge in One of These Days? For what does he enact vengeance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the themes, symbolism, and imagery implemented by the author in The Grasshopper and the Bell Cricket. How does the tone of this story differ or relate to those around it in the anthology?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss August 25, 1983 and The Elephant, comparing the characters, settings, symbolism and themes in each piece. How does the character of Borges relate to the director in The Elephant?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the work and careers of Dino Buzzati and Stuart Dybek. How is each author's style reflected in the characters, settings, subjects and themes in The Falling Girl and Death of the Right Fielder?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)