|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of House Opposite?
2. Who is the author of The Grasshopper and the Bell Cricket?
3. What does the gypsy in On Hope train monkeys to do?
4. The story of La Volpaia comes from what country?
5. Who is the author of Don't You Blame Anyone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the narrator's friend in At the River? How does he discover this?
2. Describe the themes and political motif in One of These Days. What other story in the collection shares similar themes?
3. Who is the central character in La Volpaia? Who joins him on his journey?
4. What is the girl given in The Grasshopper and the Bell Cricket? Why is she excited?
5. Who is the central character in The Grass-Eaters? What is his objective?
6. Discuss and describe the imagery in the story Blackberries. How does this imagery support the narrative's themes?
7. Describe the scene that is the central subject in Preparations? What does the author consider?
8. Who is the central character in Love, Your Only Mother? What does she receive regularly in the mail?
9. What is the central theme in Gregory? How does the author represent this theme through the executioner in the narrative?
10. How does the gypsy try getting rid of the stolen item in On Hope? How is he thwarted in his attempts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting, characters, and themes in An Insolvable Problem of Genetics. What about the setting informs the characters' racial bias?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the work and careers of Dino Buzzati and Stuart Dybek. How is each author's style reflected in the characters, settings, subjects and themes in The Falling Girl and Death of the Right Fielder?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss August 25, 1983 and The Elephant, comparing the characters, settings, symbolism and themes in each piece. How does the character of Borges relate to the director in The Elephant?
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)