|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of Weather in San Francisco?
2. Who is the author of House Opposite?
3. From where is the author of The Blue Jar?
4. Who makes an effort of reading Isaac Babel's short stories, though she does not understand them in Homage to Isaac Babel?
5. The author of The Grass-Eaters hails from where?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the setting of Blue? What is troubling the citizens in the narrative?
2. What do the boy and his father go to do after getting his new cap in Blackberries? What does this lead to?
3. Who is the central character in The Grass-Eaters? What is his objective?
4. How does Richard Brautigan make use of imagery and dramatic twist in The Weather in San Francisco?
5. What stories in the beginning of the collection focus on the theme of aging? How do these stories relate to one another?
6. What is the central conflict facing the family in An Insolvable Problem of Genetics? How do they go about remedying it?
7. Who is the central character in On Hope? What does his monkey bring to him?
8. What takes place in the story Homage to Isaac Babel? Who are the main characters?
9. What unifies the stories At the River, The Blue Jar, Gregory and Iguana Hunting?
10. What is the central theme in At the River? How is this manifested in the central characters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of At the River and analyze the story's principle theme of age. How does this story's depiction of aging relate to others in the anthology?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the violence depicted in Arrest Me, Orion and The Verb To Kill. How are rape, imprisonment, and murder represented in each of the narratives? How do they relate to the tone of the other stories in the anthology?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the mythology of Xtabay, and the setting and themes in the story Iguana Hunting. What is symbolic in the children's vision?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)