|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the second scenario presented in Happy Endings, who kills him/herself?
2. The author of The Elephant comes from where?
3. What is the setting of Blue?
4. When was the author of Weather in San Francisco born?
5. Where is the university student in La Volpaia heading to by train?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the narrative structured in the story Happy Endings? What are the first scenarios like?
2. Who is the central character in On Hope? What does his monkey bring to him?
3. Describe the scene that is the central subject in Preparations? What does the author consider?
4. What is the objective of the protagonist in The Laugher? When is he the happiest?
5. What is the girl given in The Grasshopper and the Bell Cricket? Why is she excited?
6. What stories in the beginning of the collection focus on the theme of aging? How do these stories relate to one another?
7. What do the boy and his father go to do after getting his new cap in Blackberries? What does this lead to?
8. What happens once the inflatable elephant is built in The Elephant?
9. How does the gypsy try getting rid of the stolen item in On Hope? How is he thwarted in his attempts?
10. Describe the time span and theme in The Blue Jar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the literary technique of imagery, metaphor, symbolism, and motif and identify each in Blackberries and Don't You Blame Anyone. How is the theme of the frailty of human interconnectedness reflected in these works?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of feminism in Disappearing, A Lover's Ear and By the Creek. What feminist traits do each of the protagonists reflect?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Doris Lessing's career, style and awards. How is Lessing's work represented in Homage to Isaac Babel? What recurring themes appear in Lessing's works?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)