|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote the story Gregory?
(a) Panos Ioannides.
(b) Isak Dinesen.
(c) Doris Lessing.
(d) Hernan Lara Zavala.
2. The teammates in Death of the Right Fielder suspect the player either tripped or what?
(a) Was shot.
(b) Had a heart attack.
(c) Choked to death.
(d) Was stabbed.
3. Where do they bury the player in Death of the Right Fielder?
(a) In a cemetery.
(b) On the field.
(c) Next to the field.
(d) In his backyard.
4. Who is the author of The Laugher?
(a) Heinrich Boll.
(b) Yasunari Kawabata.
(c) David Michael Kaplan.
(d) Josef Skvorecky.
5. The author of Homage to Isaac Babel is listed as being from England and where?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the older Maori tribesman tell the younger men they would be better off fishing with in At the River?
2. How old is Marta in The Falling Girl?
3. What is the setting of On Hope?
4. Where does the daughter of the lord die in The Blue Jar?
5. What is the name of the man the central female character falls in love with after the death of her husband in Happy Endings?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the central theme in At the River? How is this manifested in the central characters?
2. Who is the narrator in An Insolvable Problem of Genetics? What information does the family learn from Freddie?
3. How is the narrative structured in the story Happy Endings? What are the first scenarios like?
4. What takes place in the story Homage to Isaac Babel? Who are the main characters?
5. What is the setting of Blue? What is troubling the citizens in the narrative?
6. Who is the central character in On Hope? What does his monkey bring to him?
7. What is the older Borges doing in August 25, 1983? What is the reaction of the younger Borges?
8. What happens to the narrator's friend in At the River? How does he discover this?
9. What is the girl given in The Grasshopper and the Bell Cricket? Why is she excited?
10. What event has taken place in the beginning of Death of the Right Fielder? What actions do the characters take?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)