|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the author of Preparations?
(a) Krishnan Varma.
(b) David Brooks.
(c) Richard Brautigan.
(d) Kenneth Bernard.
2. Who is the author of The Boy?
(a) Mark Halprin.
(b) Aurelio Escovar.
(c) Joyce Carol Oates.
(d) Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
3. What is the name of the central male character in Happy Endings?
4. From whom did the monkey in On Hope steal?
(a) A Peruvian princess.
(b) King Charles II.
(c) An English princess.
(d) The Queen of England.
5. Who saves the English lord's daughter in The Blue Jar?
(a) A hunter.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her father.
(d) A sailor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Freddie explain her biological father is in An Insolvable Problem of Genetics?
2. Who is the author of Blackberries?
3. Where is the author of An Insolvable Problem of Genetics from?
4. What is the setting of Blue?
5. The story On Hope comes from what country?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the central character in The Grass-Eaters? What is his objective?
2. Who is the central character in House Opposite? What decision does he make in the narrative?
3. What is the girl given in The Grasshopper and the Bell Cricket? Why is she excited?
4. Who is the central character in On Hope? What does his monkey bring to him?
5. What stories in the beginning of the collection focus on the theme of aging? How do these stories relate to one another?
6. What unifies the stories At the River, The Blue Jar, Gregory and Iguana Hunting?
7. What takes place in the story Homage to Isaac Babel? Who are the main characters?
8. What is the taboo subject central in the story The Boy? How does the narrative play out?
9. What do the boy and his father go to do after getting his new cap in Blackberries? What does this lead to?
10. How does Richard Brautigan make use of imagery and dramatic twist in The Weather in San Francisco?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)