|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the author of The Blue Jar?
(a) Panos Ioannides.
(b) Hernan Lara Zavala.
(c) Isak Dinesen.
(d) Doris Lessing.
2. What does the gypsy's monkey bring to him in On Hope?
(a) A crystal ball.
(b) The Hope diamond.
(c) The Royal sceptor.
(d) The Emerald of Divinity.
3. What is the name of the English lord's daughter in The Blue Jar?
4. The older Maori tribesman died while doing what in At the River?
(a) Making his bed.
(d) Smoking a pipe.
5. Who is the author of An Insolvable Problem of Genetics?
(a) Jamaica Kincaid.
(b) Josef Skvorecky.
(c) Mark Helprin.
(d) Yasunari Kawabata.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the central female character in Happy Endings?
2. What is the setting of On Hope?
3. Who is the author of Don't You Blame Anyone?
4. What rises in the water at the end of On Hope?
5. Who makes an effort of reading Isaac Babel's short stories, though she does not understand them in Homage to Isaac Babel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the taboo subject central in the story The Boy? How does the narrative play out?
2. Who is the central character in House Opposite? What decision does he make in the narrative?
3. What is the objective of the protagonist in The Laugher? When is he the happiest?
4. What happens once the inflatable elephant is built in The Elephant?
5. Who is the central character in The Grass-Eaters? What is his objective?
6. What takes place in the story Homage to Isaac Babel? Who are the main characters?
7. Describe the time span and theme in The Blue Jar?
8. Describe the structure of Welcoming the Board of Directors. How does the author use metaphor in the narrative?
9. Who is the central character in On Hope? What does his monkey bring to him?
10. What is the older Borges doing in August 25, 1983? What is the reaction of the younger Borges?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)