|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What topic does Laurie primarily discuss with Gustad?
2. According to Miss Kutpitia's newspaper in Chapter 21, who has died?
3. Who does Gustad see outside the Tower of Silence?
4. How long are visitors normally allowed at the prison where Major Bilimoria is being held?
5. Where is Dinshawji in Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the candles that Gustad buys at Mount Mary and explain why he has to buy them.
2. Describe the air raid shelter that Gustad and Darius build.
3. Describe Dinshawji's funeral.
4. What happens in Farad's room between Miss Kutpitia, Dilnavaz, and Tehmul?
5. Why are the Nobles' medical expenses so high, and how do they pay them?
6. Describe Gustad's interaction with the young man who sleeps in the luggage rack on the train.
7. Describe the morcha.
8. Describe Major Bilimoria's appearance in Chapter 18.
9. Why does Tehmul love the doll?
10. Why does Dilnavaz dump a pan full of a foul substance over Mr. Rabadi's head?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Gustad's relationship with tradition and compare it with Sohrab's. How does each respond to the various symbols of tradition in the novel? Use examples from the book to support your assertions.
Essay Topic 2
How does Dr. Paymaster symbolize tradition? How do his personal effects, habits, and setting reinforce that symbolism? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
How does the conflict between Gustad, Major Bilimoria, and Ghulam Mohammed conclude? Do you think the conflict resolves, or does it simply stop happening? Explain.
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)