|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the subject of the newspaper article that Dinshawji gives Gustad in Chapter 13?
2. According to Dilnavaz, what will "burn up" Gustad's blood?
3. Who visits the Nobles' home in the beginning of Chapter 16?
4. Where is Dinshawji in Chapter 15?
5. What is the name of the American aircraft carrier mentioned in Chapter 20?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dinshawji's funeral.
2. Where does Ghulam Mohammed meet Gustad in Chapter 16, and what does he request? How is his demeanor different in this chapter from other chapters?
3. Why does Ghulam Mohammed tell Gustad that he needs to return the money immediately? How does he threaten Gustad?
4. Describe the air raid shelter that Gustad and Darius build.
5. Describe the morcha.
6. Describe Gustad's interaction with the young man who sleeps in the luggage rack on the train.
7. Describe Alamai's relationship with her nephew.
8. Why does the pavement artist draw sacred pictures, and what are his qualifications for doing so?
9. Why does Dilnavaz dump a pan full of a foul substance over Mr. Rabadi's head?
10. What happens in Farad's room between Miss Kutpitia, Dilnavaz, and Tehmul?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role that newspapers have in the story. Stretch your thoughts to make a thorough analysis, and be sure to cite details from the text.
Essay Topic 2
How does Dr. Paymaster symbolize tradition? How do his personal effects, habits, and setting reinforce that symbolism? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Dilnavaz's relationship with Miss Kutpitia's magic. How does she think of it at the beginning of the novel? How does she think of it at the end?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)