|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Gustad see outside the Tower of Silence?
2. According to Dilnavaz, what will "burn up" Gustad's blood?
3. Who, along with Dr. Paymaster, leads the march?
4. In the beginning of Chapter 15, what animal does Gustad compare Ghulam Mohammed to?
5. What weapon does Hydraulic Hema wield in Chapter 22?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tehmul love the doll?
2. Describe Gustad's interaction with the young man who sleeps in the luggage rack on the train.
3. Why does Dilnavaz dump a pan full of a foul substance over Mr. Rabadi's head?
4. Describe Alamai's relationship with her nephew.
5. Describe Dinshawji's funeral.
6. Describe the incident that occurs between the four children, the milk seller, and Gustad.
7. Where does Ghulam Mohammed meet Gustad in Chapter 16, and what does he request? How is his demeanor different in this chapter from other chapters?
8. What happens in Farad's room between Miss Kutpitia, Dilnavaz, and Tehmul?
9. Describe the candles that Gustad buys at Mount Mary and explain why he has to buy them.
10. What is Cavasji doing in Chapter 20, and what does Gustad note that is different about him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role that newspapers have in the story. Stretch your thoughts to make a thorough analysis, and be sure to cite details from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Gustad's relationship with tradition and compare it with Sohrab's. How does each respond to the various symbols of tradition in the novel? Use examples from the book to support your assertions.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of the pavement artist within the novel, within Gustad's life, and within the life of the community.
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)