|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who, along with Dr. Paymaster, leads the march?
2. Who is the "other patient" to whom Dr. Paymaster refers in Chapter 20?
3. What painkiller does the hospital staff give Dinshawji before he dies?
4. In the beginning of Chapter 15, what animal does Gustad compare Ghulam Mohammed to?
5. What sound is present in the first sentence of Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the incident that occurs between the four children, the milk seller, and Gustad.
2. Describe Dinshawji's funeral.
3. Describe the candles that Gustad buys at Mount Mary and explain why he has to buy them.
4. Why does Ghulam Mohammed not go inside the Tower of Silence for Major Bilimoria's funeral, and why does he not call Gustad to tell him of the Major's death?
5. What is Cavasji doing in Chapter 20, and what does Gustad note that is different about him?
6. Describe Major Bilimoria's appearance in Chapter 18.
7. Why does Ghulam Mohammed tell Gustad that he needs to return the money immediately? How does he threaten Gustad?
8. Where does Ghulam Mohammed meet Gustad in Chapter 16, and what does he request? How is his demeanor different in this chapter from other chapters?
9. Describe Alamai's relationship with her nephew.
10. Describe the change that comes over Dinshawji in Chapter 13.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Miss Kutpitia grow and change throughout the novel? Do you think she changes, or do you think the other characters' perceptions of her change? How do her living conditions change throughout the course of the novel? Feel free to include some references to flashback material in which the reader learns what she was like in her younger years.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the scene at Mount Mary and the requests that Gustad makes there. Do you think his visiting Mount Mary makes sense, given his personality and ordinary behavior? Do you think his trip is effective? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
In your opinion, which character in this story is the most villainous? Which character is the most heroic? Explain. Does the villain also have heroic qualities, and does the hero also have villainous qualities? Use details from the text to support your opinions.
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)