|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has infuriated Mr. Rabadi in Chapter 17?
2. What season is it in Chapter 15?
3. Where does Alamai send Dinshawji's body for the funeral?
4. In what country is Roshan's doll made?
5. What month is it in Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Major Bilimoria's appearance in Chapter 18.
2. Why does Tehmul love the doll?
3. Describe the candles that Gustad buys at Mount Mary and explain why he has to buy them.
4. What is Cavasji doing in Chapter 20, and what does Gustad note that is different about him?
5. Why are the Nobles' medical expenses so high, and how do they pay them?
6. Why does Ghulam Mohammed not go inside the Tower of Silence for Major Bilimoria's funeral, and why does he not call Gustad to tell him of the Major's death?
7. What happens to the pavement artist at the end of the novel?
8. Describe Gustad's interaction with the young man who sleeps in the luggage rack on the train.
9. Why does the pavement artist draw sacred pictures, and what are his qualifications for doing so?
10. Describe the morcha.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the scene at Mount Mary and the requests that Gustad makes there. Do you think his visiting Mount Mary makes sense, given his personality and ordinary behavior? Do you think his trip is effective? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Compare Major Bilimoria before and during his time in prison. What effect does the setting have on his appearance and behavior? What effect does the setting have on the reader's perception of him as a villain?
Essay Topic 3
Choose two unrelated symbols from the novel and compare and contrast them. Try to draw some connections between them, even if none are readily apparent.
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)