|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Mr. Rabadi's dog?
2. According to Major Bilimoria's letter in Chapter 8, whose advice should Gustad forget?
3. Where does Major Bilimoria's letter come from?
4. Where does Gustad buy meat, as did his father before him?
5. Who catches the escaped chicken in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tehmul want to talk with Gustad so urgently in Chapter 8?
2. Describe the plan that Major Bilimoria outlines for Gustad with regard to picking up the parcel.
3. What is Dilnavaz doing when she "touches wood"?
4. What does the letter from Sister Constance say, and how does Gustad respond?
5. How does Gustad normally spend his lunch hour?
6. Why does Miss Kutpitia recommend that Dilnavaz use Tehmul to divert the black magic from Sohrab? How does Dilnavaz respond?
7. What foods does Dilnavaz cook for Roshan's birthday dinner, and how do her family members and Dinshawji enjoy them?
8. What is the request Major Bilimoria makes to Gustad, and how does Gustad react?
9. Describe Dr. Paymaster's neighborhood.
10. What is the state of Gustad's clothing? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of the pavement artist within the novel, within Gustad's life, and within the life of the community.
Essay Topic 2
In your opinion, which character in this story is the most villainous? Which character is the most heroic? Explain. Does the villain also have heroic qualities, and does the hero also have villainous qualities? Use details from the text to support your opinions.
Essay Topic 3
Compare Major Bilimoria before and during his time in prison. What effect does the setting have on his appearance and behavior? What effect does the setting have on the reader's perception of him as a villain?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)