|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 8, who leaves the Noble home?
2. In addition to Dilnavaz, who witnesses Gustad opening the parcel in Chapter 8?
3. Wait does Peerbhoy Panwalla sell?
4. What is the purported cause of Mrs. Pataskia's ill temper?
5. What type of demeanor does Dr. Paymaster have with his patients?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of Tehmul's idiosyncrasies?
2. Why does Miss Kutpitia recommend that Dilnavaz use Tehmul to divert the black magic from Sohrab? How does Dilnavaz respond?
3. What foods does Dilnavaz cook for Roshan's birthday dinner, and how do her family members and Dinshawji enjoy them?
4. Describe Gustad's choice of writing utensil when writing to Major Bilimoria in Chapter 4.
5. Describe the omen that causes Miss Kutpitia not to be able to come to dinner.
6. What does the letter from Sister Constance say, and how does Gustad respond?
7. Why is Dilnavaz upset that Gustad took tea with Ghulam Mohammed at the bookstall?
8. What is Dilnavaz doing when she "touches wood"?
9. Why does Dinshawji have bad breath, and what treatments has he tried in the past? What treatment does he use now?
10. How does Gustad manage to get Friday afternoon off to go to the Chor Bazaar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role that newspapers have in the story. Stretch your thoughts to make a thorough analysis, and be sure to cite details from the text.
Essay Topic 2
In your opinion, which character in this story is the most villainous? Which character is the most heroic? Explain. Does the villain also have heroic qualities, and does the hero also have villainous qualities? Use details from the text to support your opinions.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Ghulam Mohammed and then write two paragraphs: one that indicts him as a villain, and another that praises him as one who loves his friend Major Bilimoria to the very end. Stretch your opinions to convincingly argue your point in each paragraph.
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)