|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jason doing when Ashley calls him to check in on him in chapter four?
2. What does Ashley say when Michaelson states being mad at Halloway for delaying their search?
3. What is Ben able to deduct about Linda and she confirms in chapter seven?
4. Which of the following do Blakely and Jason encounter while in the boat in chapter eighteen?
5. What does Ben say about the cave pearls that are found in chapter thirteen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene in chapter two when Ben Brust is first introduced.
2. What is unique about the boulders that are found in thirteen when the group first begins looking for Halloway?
3. Explain what happens in chapter thirteen after the group gets through the small crevice while following Halloway's trail.
4. Describe the cavern that the group finds to hide in in chapter seventeen.
5. Describe the group's reaction in chapter ten when they discover that there was a team that went ahead of them that has not returned?
6. What does Blakely show Ashley when they first meet in chapter one?
7. Describe the conversation that Ashley and Michaelson have when Michaelson is angry for having to look for Halloway?
8. What do Ben, Michaelson, and Ashley find when they are at the top of the wall that they scale in chapter eighteen?
9. Describe the dream that Ben has in chapter two.
10. Describe the conversation that Flattery and Blakely have in chapter nine when they are discussing how the team will be able to keep in contact with the new circuit boards.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Write an essay explaining why Tiny Tim was an appropriate name for the crak'an found at the end of the story, or why this name was not appropriate. If you had to give the creature a different name what would it have been and why?
2) Create a nickname for the other main players in the story and explain the importance of the names chosen for them.
3) What nickname would you give yourself if you were putting yourself in a work of fiction? Explain what kind of work it would be and why you chose this name.
Essay Topic 2
1) Did the fact that Khalid chose to take diamonds from the caves, despite his employer's wish, make you believe his convictions less when he spoke of destroying the caves in order to save his country's economy? Why or why not?
2) Speculate on what effect the cavern would have had on the world.
3) If you could find a cavern with either a lost civilization or diamonds in it which would you chose and why?
Essay Topic 3
1) Speculate on the reasons that the author chose to include Ashley's young son in the story.
2) Which of the main characters seen in the story do you feel could have been excluded from the story without loosing the meaning? Explain your choice.
3) Did you feel it was necessary to the story line for Nob'cobi to have given his life for Jason? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,113 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)