|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ashley ask Blakely while they are traveling down into the caverns in the elevators in chapter six?
2. What does Michaelson say might rub off of Jason onto Ben since they were hanging out so much in chapter five?
3. In chapter ten, how many times a day does Blakely tell the group to be in contact?
4. What does Ben tell Ashley in chapter twelve, after she and Halloway have a confrontation.
5. What does Ben's grandfather warn him of in the third dream he has in chapter seventeen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unique about the boulders that are found in thirteen when the group first begins looking for Halloway?
2. What does Blakely show Ashley when they first meet in chapter one?
3. Describe the conversation that Ashley and Michaelson have when Michaelson is angry for having to look for Halloway?
4. When the group stops to camp for the first night in chapter eleven what happens?
5. Describe what happens in chapter sixteen when the base is attacked.
6. Describe the group's reaction in chapter ten when they discover that there was a team that went ahead of them that has not returned?
7. What does Colonel Matson explain to Ben when he goes to see Ben in chapter two?
8. What does Ashley find when she arrives at the dig site in chapter eight?
9. Describe the conversation that Flattery and Blakely have in chapter nine when they are discussing how the team will be able to keep in contact with the new circuit boards.
10. What happens in chapter five when Jason goes to the bathroom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) What emotions are seen in the story?
2) Would it be possible to take emotions out of a story? Explain why or why not?
3) What emotions do you believe create the stronger responses from people? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
1) When Dr. Blakely knows that it is either him or Jason be killed he lists off the things he has done in his life that make him feel he has lead a full life. Did you agree with his assessment of his own life? Why?
2) What do you hope to look back on when you are at the end of your life and find that will make you feel you have had a full life?
3) How much do you feel that a person's hopes and dreams change over the course of a lifetime? Explain why?
Essay Topic 3
1) Pick one of the characters in the story that you would have most enjoyed being. Why did you pick this character?
2) Do you and this character share any traits? Explain.
3) What would you have done differently in the story if you had been this character?
This section contains 1,135 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)