|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nettie remind Timmy of about the meal at her mother's house in Act 2, Scene1?
2. What was it about John that drew her to him, as Nettie explains?
3. What did Nettie do instead of reporting to work for the first job she describes?
4. What does Nettie sense as Timmy walks into the room in the third scene of Act 2?
5. What is the reason Nettie visits her mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Nettie's character in detail. What are her personality traits? How do they contribute to her situation? How does she affect the other characters? What is her place in the family and the reasons behind it? Use the play to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the way Nettie and John met and the reasons they were married. What was Nettie looking for? How did John appear to her? Did she understand that he would eventually disappoint her at the time? How has Nettie changed? Has John changed or remained the same? Why does their past represent some of the major reasons for their failing marriage?
Essay Topic 3
John admires Timmy's participation in the war and it is also a source of his own self-doubt.
1) Describe the conversations and events in the play that depict how John feels about Timmy's time in the war.
2) Explain how Timmy's experience in the war causes John to think about himself and his own experiences. Also, include what Timmy does to help his father come to terms with his doubt.
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)