|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can Timmy notice about the way his mother is acting in the third scene of Act 2?
2. What does Nettie criticize constantly, according to Timmy?
3. What does John say about the meal at Nettie's mother's house?
4. What did a boy throw at Nettie before her new job was scheduled to start?
5. What is the only light in the apartment as Nettie is there alone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Act 2, Scene 3, Nettie is reflecting back on her life to understand her present situation.
1) Describe Nettie's life before she met John. How were both of their lives different? Were they similar in any ways?
2) Explain the significance of the job that Nettie was scheduled to go to before she met John, the events that led to her resigning from it, and how that experience ended up changing her life. Also, include what you think Nettie's life would have been like if she had taken the job and why.
Essay Topic 2
The beginning of "The Subject was Roses" is an introduction to the Cleary family and the setting of their home.
1) Describe the period that the play takes place in and why it is relevant to the story.
2) Describe the apartment that the Clearys live in and how it reflects the situation their family is in.
3) Explain the events from the night before that have led up to the beginning of the play, including why they are important to the rest of the story that follows.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the realization that Timmy makes at the end of Act 2, Scene 3. What does it mean for each one of the characters and why is it important to the main theme of the play? Why did the author choose Timmy as the character to draw this conclusion about the family's situation? What does it signify in Timmy's character?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)