|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a friend of Timmy need?
2. What does Nettie admit to Timmy as they talk in the first scene of Act 2?
3. What are Nettie and John arguing about as the second act begins?
4. How does John leave the room in Act 2, Scene 1?
5. Where does Timmy say that he called looking for his father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
John admires Timmy's participation in the war and it is also a source of his own self-doubt.
1) Describe the conversations and events in the play that depict how John feels about Timmy's time in the war.
2) Explain how Timmy's experience in the war causes John to think about himself and his own experiences. Also, include what Timmy does to help his father come to terms with his doubt.
Essay Topic 2
John's view of Timmy and his drinking change later in the play. Explain how the family members have switched places, the reason why, and what that does to the plot. In addition, what do you think has led each family member to change? Does any one of them not change as much, or not at all?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Timmy and John's reaction to Nettie's disappearance. Describe how they both respond in different ways, why, and the effect their actions have on the play in general.
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)