|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What story is told in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. How does Nettie respond when John embraces her in the third scene of Act 1?
3. What does the banner in the Cleary's apartment read?
4. What type of flowers did Nettie's father used to send to her?
5. What are Timmy and John doing as Nettie enters the apartment in the second scene of Act 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it that John is doubting about himself and how does Timmy attempt to reassure him in Scene 2?
2. What does Nettie get an aspirin for, and how does she begin to talk to John about the roses?
3. What does Timmy offer at the end of Act 1, Scene 3, and what does John reveal to Nettie?
4. How do Nettie and Timmy revisit their past at the end of Act 1, Scene 1?
5. What do Timmy and John do when Nettie enters the room in the fourth scene of Act 2, and how does she respond?
6. How does Timmy tell John about the purse full of coins, and what is his father's response?
7. How does Nettie describe John's early business sense?
8. How does John view the relationship between all three family members, according to Timmy?
9. How do Timmy and John appear at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2, and what is the reason for their mood?
10. What happens between Timmy and John that changes the way they look at each other in Act 2, Scene 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Timmy and John's reaction to Nettie's disappearance. Describe how they both respond in different ways, why, and the effect their actions have on the play in general.
Essay Topic 2
Nettie and John have a different approach to Timmy as he returns home. They are both contrasting and revealing at the same time. Explain in detail both parents' view of their son and his situation at the beginning of the play. Use specific examples from the play to describe how those views affect each character.
Essay Topic 3
How does John compare his life with Timmy's? In what way does the comparison affect their relationship? What is different about the time and place both characters grew up, and does that have an effect on the way their lives turned out? What is the reason for John's opinions about how Timmy's life compares to his own?
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)