|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Nettie react to the flowers when she first sees them?
2. How does Timmy make decisions, according to John?
3. What kind of roses does Timmy have for Nettie in Act 1, Scene 2?
4. How many chairs are there in the apartment as the play opens?
5. How many roses does Timmy have for his mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the basic difference between the way Nettie and John look at Timmy, as outlined in the beginning of the play?
2. What is the way Timmy views his father and his family, according to the speech he gives in Act 2, Scene 2?
3. What does Nettie describe to Timmy about the job she almost took before she met John, and why is it significant?
4. What is Nettie's initial reaction to the flowers?
5. What do Timmy and John do when Nettie enters the room in the fourth scene of Act 2, and how does she respond?
6. How is John acting towards Nettie in the third scene of Act 1, and what is her response?
7. How does the way Nettie reacts to Timmy's drinking in Scene 3 illustrate the difference between her and John?
8. What happens between Nettie and Timmy in Scene 1 that symbolizes their relationship at this point in the play?
9. Where does Nettie say she has been for twelve hours, and what reason does she give for her return?
10. What is significant about the lake house and how does it apply to Nettie and John's marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Act 2, Scene 3, Nettie is reflecting back on her life to understand her present situation.
1) Describe Nettie's life before she met John. How were both of their lives different? Were they similar in any ways?
2) Explain the significance of the job that Nettie was scheduled to go to before she met John, the events that led to her resigning from it, and how that experience ended up changing her life. Also, include what you think Nettie's life would have been like if she had taken the job and why.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the ways Timmy and John both view Nettie and the ways they treat her in the play. Use the play as a reference to provide examples that support your analysis in the reasons for their different approach.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Timmy and John's reaction to Nettie's disappearance. Describe how they both respond in different ways, why, and the effect their actions have on the play in general.
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)