|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Timmy and John enjoy the game?
2. What does Nettie say after seeing the flowers in Act 1, Scene 2?
3. What does John ask about himself, pertaining to the war?
4. What type of friends are John and Timmy talking about in the second scene of the play?
5. What are John and Timmy doing as they enter the apartment in Act 1, Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does John become upset about in Act 2, Scene 1, and how does Timmy respond?
2. How do Nettie and John talk about Timmy's drinking in Act 2, Scene 2?
3. When does the third scene in Act 2 take place, and what is Nettie doing?
4. What surprise does John unveil as the first scene of the play is ending, and how does it affect Nettie?
5. What is it that John is doubting about himself and how does Timmy attempt to reassure him in Scene 2?
6. What is the basic difference between the way Nettie and John look at Timmy, as outlined in the beginning of the play?
7. What does Timmy have for his mother, and how does he involve John in the gift?
8. What is John doing with Timmy's army jacket in Scene 1, and why?
9. Where does Nettie say she has been for twelve hours, and what reason does she give for her return?
10. What is significant about the lake house and how does it apply to Nettie and John's marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the two times in the play that Timmy misrepresents the truth with his parents. Analyze each circumstance, his motives, and whether or not you agree with them.
Essay Topic 2
In Act 2, Scene 3, Nettie is reflecting back on her life to understand her present situation.
1) Describe Nettie's life before she met John. How were both of their lives different? Were they similar in any ways?
2) Explain the significance of the job that Nettie was scheduled to go to before she met John, the events that led to her resigning from it, and how that experience ended up changing her life. Also, include what you think Nettie's life would have been like if she had taken the job and why.
Essay Topic 3
In Act 2, Scene 1, John takes out his frustrations on his family.
1) Describe John's behavior at breakfast, detailing his interaction with the other characters.
2) Explain what the source is for John's behavior and why it is relevant to the theme of the play.
3) Explain whether you agree with John's actions, including the reasons why or why not.
This section contains 1,151 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)