|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What morning is it when the play opens?
2. How does Nettie respond when John embraces her in the third scene of Act 1?
(a) She is disgusted.
(b) She does not even notice.
(c) She is surprised.
(d) She is confused.
3. What condition is the banner in?
(d) Upside down.
4. What does John pretend he is doing as he hears someone coming in the beginning of the play?
(a) Reading the newspaper.
(b) Cleaning the table off.
(c) Making breakfast.
(d) Making lunch.
5. What do Timmy and John do after Nettie responds to the roses?
(a) Begin reading the newspaper.
(b) Change the subject.
(c) Ask her questions.
(d) Shake their heads.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John tell Nettie to do with regards to Timmy and his activities?
2. Who is howling at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
3. What is Nettie's secondary response to the roses?
4. What does Timmy think of his father's intelligence?
5. What does Timmy offer to do after Nettie throws the roses?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does John's mood in the beginning of Act 2, Scene 2 compare to earlier scenes?
2. What does Timmy tell John that he argued with Nettie about and why?
3. What does Timmy conclude at the end of Act 2, Scene 3, and what does it represent for his character?
4. What is significant about the lake house and how does it apply to Nettie and John's marriage?
5. What does Timmy tell Nettie about the way he viewed the family before he left for the army, and after he returned?
6. How does Nettie's mood change about the roses in Act 1, Scene 2, and why?
7. What does Nettie describe to Timmy about the job she almost took before she met John, and why is it significant?
8. What does Nettie explain about John and the way she viewed him before they were married, and why does she say that he was not meant for her?
9. How does Nettie describe John's early business sense?
10. What is John trying to convince Nettie to do as the final act begins?
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)