|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does John ask about himself, pertaining to the war?
(a) If he would have been injured.
(b) If he would have been a commander.
(c) If he would have received medals.
(d) If he would have had the courage.
2. What morning is it when the play opens?
3. Who is playing in the game Timmy asks his father to go to?
4. How does Nettie react to the flowers when she first sees them?
(a) She cries.
(b) She smiles.
(c) She jumps up and down.
(d) She laughs.
5. What condition is the banner in?
(d) Upside down.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are John and Timmy doing as they enter the apartment in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. What does John contend about Timmy to Nettie?
3. What are Nettie and Timmy doing after they dance?
4. How many roses does Timmy have for his mother?
5. What is Nettie preparing for Timmy in Act 1, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Timmy and John respond to Nettie's response to the flowers?
2. When does the third scene in Act 2 take place, and what is Nettie doing?
3. How do Timmy and John appear at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2, and what is the reason for their mood?
4. What is Nettie's initial reaction to the flowers?
5. What is the basic difference between the way Nettie and John look at Timmy, as outlined in the beginning of the play?
6. What reason does John give Timmy for why he should stay?
7. Why does John think that he and Nettie's marriage will improve, and how does Nettie comment on his theory?
8. What does the ending of "The Subject was Roses" lead the reader to believe might happen?
9. What decision does Timmy make at the end of the last scene, and how does his father surprise him?
10. What is interesting about the way John and Timmy react to Nettie's disappearance?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)