|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is howling at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
(b) Timmy and John.
(c) Nettie, Timmy, and John.
2. How does John comment on Nettie's dress in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) He likes it.
(b) He wishes she didn't pay so much for it.
(c) He hates it.
(d) He has never seen it before.
3. What does the family plan to do as the second scene of the play ends?
(a) Take a trip.
(b) Visit another relative.
(c) Eat dinner.
(d) See a movie.
4. What is Nettie concerned about as Timmy and John continue to sing?
(a) That they will be evicted.
(b) That they will sing out of tune.
(c) That they will wake the neighbors.
(d) That they will forget the lyrics.
5. What does Nettie tell John has nothing to do with their relationship?
(a) How well they know each other.
(b) The roses.
(d) Their financial situation.
6. How often did Nettie's father send her flowers?
(a) Every other year.
(b) Every few years.
(c) Every year.
(d) A few times a year.
7. How does Nettie react to the flowers when she first sees them?
(a) She cries.
(b) She jumps up and down.
(c) She laughs.
(d) She smiles.
8. What year does the play, "The Subject was Roses", take place in?
9. Who is playing in the game Timmy asks his father to go to?
10. What are Nettie and Timmy doing after they dance?
11. What are Timmy and John singing as Nettie calls for their attention?
(a) Popular songs.
(b) Opera songs.
(d) Silly songs.
12. What does Timmy suggest to John about the roses?
(a) That he brings a lot of attention to them.
(b) That he does not mention them.
(c) That he pretends they are from him.
(d) That he pretends they were expensive.
13. What type of prayer will John stop and say?
(a) A prayer for help.
(b) A short prayer.
(c) A long prayer.
(d) A prayer of Thanksgiving.
14. What is Nettie trying to do when the third scene begins?
(a) Stop crying.
(b) Listen to John and Timmy's conversation.
(c) Quiet John and Timmy down.
(d) Stop laughing.
15. What kind of roses does Timmy have for Nettie in Act 1, Scene 2?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the occasion that Nettie's father would send her flowers?
2. What is Nettie doing as Act 1, Scene 3 ends?
3. What type of friends are John and Timmy talking about in the second scene of the play?
4. What does John ask about himself, pertaining to the war?
5. What does John contend about Timmy to Nettie?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)