|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Nettie trying to do when the third scene begins?
(a) Stop laughing.
(b) Listen to John and Timmy's conversation.
(c) Stop crying.
(d) Quiet John and Timmy down.
2. Who is playing in the game Timmy asks his father to go to?
3. How did Timmy and John enjoy the game?
(a) They had a strange time.
(b) They had a lousy time.
(c) They had a good time.
(d) They had an average time.
4. What type of friends are John and Timmy talking about in the second scene of the play?
5. What does Nettie lecture John about in the first scene of Act 1?
(a) Not eating enough.
(b) Eating too much.
(c) Drinking too much.
(d) Not getting enough sleep.
6. What story is told in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) The story of how Nettie and John met.
(b) The story of Nettie and John's marriage.
(c) The story of Timmy's first birthday.
(d) The story of how Timmy was born.
7. What type of flowers did Nettie's father used to send to her?
8. What was the result of the game John and Timmy saw?
(a) The game was rained out.
(b) The Giants won.
(c) The game was a tie.
(d) The Giants lost.
9. What was the occasion that Nettie's father would send her flowers?
(a) His birthday.
(b) Her birthday.
(c) Her anniversary.
(d) Mother's Day.
10. What prevented John from joining the war?
(a) He was injured.
(b) He was the head of household.
(c) He did not pass the training.
(d) He did not want to go.
11. How many chairs are there in the apartment as the play opens?
(a) A stack.
(d) A closet full.
12. What are Timmy and John doing as Nettie enters the apartment in the second scene of Act 1?
(a) Telling jokes.
(b) Telling stories.
(c) Reading the newspaper.
(d) Making lunch.
13. Who is howling at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) Timmy and John.
(b) Nettie, Timmy, and John.
14. How long ago did Nettie's father pass away?
(a) Months ago.
(b) A couple of years ago.
(c) A year ago.
(d) One month ago.
15. How does John comment on Nettie's dress in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) He wishes she didn't pay so much for it.
(b) He has never seen it before.
(c) He likes it.
(d) He hates it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of roses does Timmy have for Nettie in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. What is Nettie's secondary response to the roses?
3. What happened to Timmy the night before?
4. What has happened to many of the local boys who also went off to war?
5. What is Nettie preparing for Timmy in Act 1, Scene 1?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)