|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is howling at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
(b) Nettie, Timmy, and John.
(d) Timmy and John.
2. What does the banner in the Cleary's apartment read?
(a) "Great Job, Timmy".
(b) "Welcome Home, Timmy".
(c) "You're the Best, Timmy".
(d) "We Missed You, Timmy".
3. How is Nettie responding to Timmy and John's behavior in the beginning of Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) She is following their lead.
(b) She is laughing at it.
(c) She is losing her patience.
(d) She is ignoring it.
4. How many roses does Timmy have for his mother?
(a) A half dozen.
(c) A few.
(d) A bouquet.
5. What prevented John from joining the war?
(a) He was the head of household.
(b) He did not want to go.
(c) He did not pass the training.
(d) He was injured.
6. How does Timmy make decisions, according to John?
(a) He follows Nettie's lead.
(b) He follows John's lead.
(c) He makes his own.
(d) He listens to his friends.
7. What morning is it when the play opens?
8. What does Nettie get an aspirin for?
(a) Her headache.
(b) John's headache.
(c) The vase of roses.
(d) Timmy's headache.
9. How does John comment on Nettie's dress in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) He hates it.
(b) He wishes she didn't pay so much for it.
(c) He has never seen it before.
(d) He likes it.
10. What are Timmy and John doing as Nettie enters the apartment in the second scene of Act 1?
(a) Making lunch.
(b) Telling jokes.
(c) Telling stories.
(d) Reading the newspaper.
11. What does Nettie tell John after she gets the aspirin?
(a) It was nice of him to pay for dinner.
(b) It was nice of him to go to the game.
(c) It was nice of him to pay for the show.
(d) It was nice of him to get her the roses.
12. What does John contend about Timmy to Nettie?
(a) He is still a boy.
(b) He has never been a boy.
(c) He is no longer a boy.
(d) He will always be a boy.
13. How are Timmy and John feeling at the start of Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) They are sick.
(b) They are upset.
(c) They are drunk.
(d) They are depressed.
14. How does Timmy view his father in terms of courage?
(a) He thinks that he is the second bravest man he has ever known.
(b) He thinks that he is the bravest man he has ever known.
(c) He thinks that he is the weakest man he has ever known.
(d) He thinks that his courage has not been tested.
15. What was the result of the game John and Timmy saw?
(a) The game was a tie.
(b) The game was rained out.
(c) The Giants won.
(d) The Giants lost.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of apartment do the Clearys live in?
2. How does Nettie initially feel about the roses?
3. What are John and Timmy doing as they enter the apartment in Act 1, Scene 2?
4. What does Nettie lecture John about in the first scene of Act 1?
5. Why does John think that he and Nettie will have good times?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)