Act 1, Scene 1
• The play is set in 1946, as Timmy Cleary returns home from the war.
• The middle class West Bronx, NY apartment has remnants of the welcome home party from the night before.
• John admires his son's army jacket, even trying it on while no one is looking.
• Nettie warns John about his drinking, stating that Timmy is following his lead, causing him to become sick the previous night.
• John tells Nettie that Timmy is grown and will make his own decisions.
• Nettie has made waffles, Timmy's favorite breakfast, as John leaves for an appointment.
• Timmy and his mother dance the way they used to before he left, and John returns, instead of going to the appointment, to take his son to a football game, leaving Nettie alone.
Act 1, Scene 2
• Timmy and John are laughing as a result of the good time they had at the game.
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)