|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Punk's motivating music types came together through which of the following to create Punk?
2. According to Hebdige, subcultures serve the purpose of allowing individuals to do which of the following?
3. What do the Teddy Boys of the 50's represent?
4. According to Chapter 4, which of the following accurately describes the values of the Glams?
5. To which philosopher does Hebdige compare his beliefs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Hebdige agree with the idea that all subcultures are lumped into one "class"?
2. What does Hebdige say must be done in order to understand the connection between Punk and Reggae?
3. In Hebdige's opinion, are subcultures a form of cultural rebellion?
4. Does Hebdige believe the subculture participants' view of its subculture is the only determining factor in how it is viewed by the outside?
5. Does Hebdige believe subcultures can have a positive affect on individuals?
6. How does Hebdige feel about common objects when in the hands of the dominant culture as opposed to being in the hands of a subculture?
7. What is the significance of the author's description of post-war Britain?
8. In Chapter 4, how do the Teddy Boys contradict themselves?
9. Why does Hebdige say that Reggae is primarily a black subculture?
10. How do the Rastafarians modify the Christian religion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the author say about the participants within black subcultures vs. those of white subcultures? Do the subcultures consist primarily of one age group? Why? Is participation in these subcultures likely to change? If so, why? When?
Essay Topic 2
Give specific examples of how the dominant culture seeks to exert control over subcultures (e.g. style - signs and signifiers).
Essay Topic 3
Does the author agree with the notion that "style" is an art within itself or part of a greater system? Explain how he supports his opinion.
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)