|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jamaican slaves combine with the teachings of the Bible to form reggae?
2. Of the following, which is a common activity that affects social behavior?
3. What do the Teddy Boys of the 50's represent?
4. The Rastafarian subculture says the "black sufferer" is placed where?
5. Where are the parents of the Rastafarians from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hebdige think the mass culture "mythologizes signification"?
2. Does Hebdige agree with the idea that all subcultures are lumped into one "class"?
3. When subcultures began to take shape, what group or groups of people became active participants? Why?
4. What does Hebdige say must be done in order to understand the connection between Punk and Reggae?
5. What is the significance of the author's description of post-war Britain?
6. In Chapter 4, how does Hebdige explain the creation of white subcultures?
7. In the Introduction and Chapter 1, how does Hebdige feel about the way the mass culture defines everyday life?
8. What physical and social affect did the London heat wave of 1976 have on the people of London according to Hebdige?
9. In Hebdige's opinion, are subcultures a form of cultural rebellion?
10. How does Hebdige feel about common objects when in the hands of the dominant culture as opposed to being in the hands of a subculture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did black migration to London affect the black immigrants and the youth of Post-War Britain? Give specific examples and explain the positives and negatives of the move.
Essay Topic 2
The author says its more important to understand the historical context of a subculture than the "familiar rites of passage associated with the transition from childhood to maturity." Discuss the historical context of the Punk, Reggae, Rastafarian, 1950's Teddy Boys, and 1970's Teddy Boys subcultures. Give specific information noted in the text.
Essay Topic 3
Who is George Jackson? What are his opinions of the black race? Does he believes blacks are treated equally? Why or why not?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)