|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is the name of the song based on the London riots?
2. To which philosopher does Hebdige compare his beliefs?
3. Chapter 4 speaks about the Glams and their ideal of which of the following?
4. In Chapter 4, what does Hebdige say about black and white subcultures and how they got the ideas for their subcultures?
5. What part of the black culture do the Hipsters closely associate with?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Hebdige, what affect does the Glam subculture have on someone looking in from the outside?
2. Why does Hebdige say that Reggae is primarily a black subculture?
3. Besides the experience of slavery, what other elements were used to create Reggae?
4. Why did the parents of the Rastafarians face such harsh discrimination when they came to London?
5. How do the Mods practice the "norms" of the mass culture and traditions of a subculture?
6. What does Hebdige say was Punk's mission when they formed?
7. What physical and social affect did the London heat wave of 1976 have on the people of London according to Hebdige?
8. What are some of the physical ways the Rastafarians embraced their ties to Africa?
9. How do the Rastafarians modify the Christian religion?
10. How does Hebdige say some members of the mass culture view the British youth of the different subcultures?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author says that subcultures represent a "culture of conspicuous consumption." What specific examples did he give to support this notion with regard to the 1950's Teddy Boys and Punk. (i.e. bricolage, sexuality, music, dance, journalism, law)
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the black and white subcultures listed in the book. Do a general comparison and contrast as well as use specific examples from the subcultures mentioned.
Essay Topic 3
Does the author agree with the notion that "style" is an art within itself or part of a greater system? Explain how he supports his opinion.
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)