|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By their very nature, subcultures do what to the mass culture?
(b) Agree with.
2. What did Jamaican slaves combine with the teachings of the Bible to form reggae?
(a) Oral traditions.
(b) Ideals from the mass culture.
(c) Nothing. They only utilized the teachings from the Bible to form reggae.
(d) Written traditions.
3. Of the Reggae subculture, Hebdige says it has strong, cultural what?
4. What period in history does Hebdige focus on?
(a) Pre-war Britain.
(b) Post-war Britain.
(c) Edwardian era.
(d) Britain during the war.
5. The actions of people are many times persuaded by what?
(b) Playing in the park.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Glam subculture addresses what question?
2. How does Hebdige define the purpose of style?
3. Punk has origins in which of the following?
4. Reggae has origins in which of the following?
5. The STYLE between the Teddy Boys of the 50's and 70's is which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 4, how do the Teddy Boys contradict themselves?
2. Why did the parents of the Rastafarians face such harsh discrimination when they came to London?
3. Does Hebdige believe the subculture participants' view of its subculture is the only determining factor in how it is viewed by the outside?
4. When subcultures began to take shape, what group or groups of people became active participants? Why?
5. Besides the experience of slavery, what other elements were used to create Reggae?
6. What is the history of the blacks from the West Indies compared to the post-war British youth?
7. In Chapter 4, how does Hebdige explain the creation of white subcultures?
8. What does Hebdige say must be done in order to understand the connection between Punk and Reggae?
9. How is Punk different from other white subcultures?
10. In the Introduction and Chapter 1, how does Hebdige feel about the way the mass culture defines everyday life?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)