|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In order to understand punk, one must understand which of the following?
(a) The direction in which other subcultures are going.
(b) The direction in which it is going.
(c) Its origins.
(d) The origins of other subcultures.
2. What music style developed as a result of the black immigration?
(b) Top 40.
(c) Heavy Metal.
3. Skinheads derived from what subculture?
(b) Teddy Boys.
(d) Hard mods.
4. According to Chapters 5, what do Punks absolutely NOT want to be associated with?
5. The actions of people are many times persuaded by what?
(a) Playing in the park.
Short Answer Questions
1. Punk's motivating music types came together through which of the following to create Punk?
2. Beats connect to which of the following aspects of the black culture?
3. What types of alteration is Britain experiencing?
4. Hebdige says that white subcultures are a response to what?
5. Of the following, which is a common activity that affects social behavior?
Short Essay Questions
1. When subcultures began to take shape, what group or groups of people became active participants? Why?
2. Does Hebdige believe the subculture participants' view of its subculture is the only determining factor in how it is viewed by the outside?
3. In Hebdige's opinion, are subcultures a form of cultural rebellion?
4. What is the history of the blacks from the West Indies compared to the post-war British youth?
5. In the Introduction and Chapter 1, how does Hebdige feel about the way the mass culture defines everyday life?
6. Does Hebdige agree with the idea that all subcultures are lumped into one "class"?
7. According to Hebdige, was Punk founded on the influence of other subcultures?
8. How do the Mods practice the "norms" of the mass culture and traditions of a subculture?
9. How do the Rastafarians modify the Christian religion?
10. What does Hebdige say must be done in order to understand the connection between Punk and Reggae?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)