|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following do Rastafarians say is the strength behind their beliefs?
2. The manner in which the Rastafarian parents migrated did which of the following?
(a) Allowed them to easily conform to the cultural norms of their new home.
(b) Marked them as targets of discrimination.
(c) Showed they were successful business people.
(d) Demonstrated their hope for a bright future in a new land.
3. Individuals' conduct in society is greatly influenced by which?
(c) Firemen and women.
4. Hebdige describes subcultures as"mediation" between what?
(a) Opinions and facts.
(b) Experience and tradition.
(c) Ideas and truths.
(d) Lies and wishes.
5. What do the Teddy Boys of the 50's represent?
(a) The plight of the working class in America.
(b) The black culture.
(c) The decline of Britain.
(d) The traditions of Britain.
Short Answer Questions
1. What music style developed as a result of the black immigration?
2. Reggae is greatly influenced by what style of music?
3. Of the following, which is a common activity that affects social behavior?
4. Where are the parents of the Rastafarians from?
5. What type of "rebellion" does Hebdige say subcultures are?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 4, how does Hebdige explain the creation of white subcultures?
2. Why does Hebdige think the mass culture "mythologizes signification"?
3. How does Hebdige feel about common objects when in the hands of the dominant culture as opposed to being in the hands of a subculture?
4. What does Hebdige say must be done in order to understand the connection between Punk and Reggae?
5. How do the Skinheads identify with black subcultures?
6. Why does Hebdige say that Reggae is primarily a black subculture?
7. Why did the parents of the Rastafarians face such harsh discrimination when they came to London?
8. According to Hebdige, what affect does the Glam subculture have on someone looking in from the outside?
9. How do the Rastafarians modify the Christian religion?
10. In Hebdige's opinion, are subcultures a form of cultural rebellion?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)