|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hebdige say handicaps blacks?
(a) Nothing. They have the same opportunities as whites.
(b) Mental abilities.
(c) Economical capacity.
(d) Racial prejudice.
2. Hebdige says subcultures are designed to address what?
(a) Cultural questions.
(b) Societal taboos.
(c) Cultural quandaries.
(d) Societal deficiencies.
3. Which of the following is NOT a name one would generally see associated with a Punk band?
(a) The Worst.
(b) The Unwanted.
(c) The Kittens.
(d) The Rejects.
4. Which writer's beliefs about style most closely resembles those of Hebdige?
(c) George Jackson.
(d) T.S. Eliot.
5. In terms of music, what do Punks desire over skill?
(c) Desire to become skillful.
6. What happens to style when it is no longer associated with a subculture?
(a) It becomes modified.
(b) It becomes codified.
(c) It becomes commodified.
(d) It becomes solidified.
7. The Teddy Boys of 1950's utilize aspects from what era to incorporate into their belief system?
(a) The Vietnam Era.
(b) The Colonial Period.
(d) Early America.
8. In Chapter 7, Hebdige focuses on something and how it affects the definition of a subculture. What is it that he focuses on?
(b) Socioeconomical status.
(c) Religious preference.
(d) Level of education.
9. What individual does the following quote reflect upon, ". . . lives a life of diversion, subversion and dissent, concerned less with what the signs say than in how their meaning might be changed"?
(a) T.S. Eliot.
(b) George Jackson.
10. The mass culture is associated with several aesthetics. According to Hebdige, which is an example?
11. What does Hebdige say about Punk's cultural rebellion after commodification takes place?
(a) It is growing stronger.
(b) It is stable.
(c) It is doomed.
(d) It is passed on to other subcultures.
12. Which of the following is another word for "science of the concrete"?
13. What does Hebdige say is the next step after a subculture is ready to become a part of the "mass cultural consciousness"?
14. With regard to viewing style as an art form, who's opinion does Hebdige quote?
15. What does Hebdige say the Reggae subculture is based upon?
(a) Creative suppression.
(b) Political expression.
(c) Sexual aggression.
(d) Racial oppression.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which three writers does Hebdige compare at the end of the book?
2. In Chapter 9, which of the following does Hebdige use as an example of an object that once again becomes solely associated with the dominant culture?
3. Of the following, what specific item does Hebdige say transforms meaning when used by a subculture as opposed to the mass culture?
4. Hebdige says that Genet transformed from individual into what?
5. Punks are known for embracing which of the following?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)