|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hebdige says that Genet transformed from individual into what?
(c) Realm of revolution.
2. In the Punk subculture, when is commodification complete?
(a) It was complete just by the mere fact that the subculture was formed.
(b) It will not be complete until the Punk subculture is dissolved.
(c) When objects of style perfectly match the subculture's aesthetic.
(d) When Punkers are able to recruit a large number to the subculture.
3. Hebdige begins the book by citing the ideas of what author?
(c) T.S. Eliot.
(d) George Jackson.
4. What does Hebdige define as "a systemic, material language in which objects can be combined in infinite ways to produce meaning"?
(d) Science of the concrete.
5. What does Hebdige say "incites a cultural fear of further hidden transgressions"?
(a) Poverty styles.
(b) Playful styles.
(c) Profanity styles.
(d) Perverse styles.
6. For its aesthetic qualities, Hebdige says that style might be what?
7. What does Hebdige say the Reggae subculture is based upon?
(a) Racial oppression.
(b) Political expression.
(c) Sexual aggression.
(d) Creative suppression.
8. What does Hebdige say is an attribute of style?
(a) Its non-cyclical nature.
(b) Its misunderstood nature.
(c) Its cyclical nature.
(d) Its unique nature.
9. At the end of the book, who does Hebdige ultimately agree with in terms of style?
(b) George Jackson.
(d) T.S. Eliot.
10. What individual does the following quote reflect upon, ". . . lives a life of diversion, subversion and dissent, concerned less with what the signs say than in how their meaning might be changed"?
(a) George Jackson.
(c) T.S. Eliot.
11. What does Hebdige say about Punk's cultural rebellion after commodification takes place?
(a) It is stable.
(b) It is doomed.
(c) It is passed on to other subcultures.
(d) It is growing stronger.
12. Which of the following is a value held dear by the Skinheads?
(c) Upper class.
13. Which of the following is NOT a name one would generally see associated with a Punk band?
(a) The Kittens.
(b) The Worst.
(c) The Unwanted.
(d) The Rejects.
14. What is the media's purpose of depicting Punkers as "good kids"?
(a) To lessen the subculture's credibility.
(b) To create harmony between them and other subcultures.
(c) To show that the definition of being a Punker is being a positive person.
(d) To persuade them to change their ways since the masses like that depiction.
15. What does Genet say about George Jackson's letters?
(a) They are extremely long.
(b) They are written with pleasant words.
(c) They are difficult to read.
(d) They contain a lot of pictures.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hebdige say style articulates between the dominant culture and subcultures?
2. In terms of language, what do Punks focus on?
3. In Chapter 8, What does Hebdige say about subcultures?
4. What does George Jackson complain about?
5. In terms of language, what does George Jackson say about the dominant culture?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)