|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Chapters 5, what do Punks absolutely NOT want to be associated with?
2. What does Hebdige say about post-war Britain with regard to mass media and how it defines cultural experience?
(a) "It shares images and ideals across age and gender."
(b) "It shares sound and images across class and culture."
(c) "It shares sound and images across race and culture."
(d) It shares truths and sound across age and race."
3. Which of the following was one of the first to embrace the Rastafarian style?
(a) Black, upper class around the world.
(b) All races in the working class of America.
(c) Black, working class of Great Britain.
(d) White, upper class of Great Britain.
4. What do the Teddy Boys of the 50's represent?
(a) The black culture.
(b) The plight of the working class in America.
(c) The traditions of Britain.
(d) The decline of Britain.
5. The STYLE between the Teddy Boys of the 50's and 70's is which of the following?
(c) Started out the same but ended differently.
(d) Started out differently but ended the same.
6. Hebdige says that individuals understand ideology in which of the following ways?
7. Which of the following do Rastafarians say is the strength behind their beliefs?
8. The actions of people are many times persuaded by what?
(a) Playing in the park.
9. How does Hebdige define style?
(a) The norm.
(b) A way of life.
(c) A personal choice.
(d) An aesthetic nonconformity.
10. What period in history does Hebdige focus on?
(a) Post-war Britain.
(b) Edwardian era.
(c) Britain during the war.
(d) Pre-war Britain.
11. What does Hebdige say is one of the things that "deconstructs rock music back to its more fundamental roots"?
(a) Glam rock's narcissism.
(b) Establishment of country music.
(c) Continued racial tension.
(d) Class conflict.
12. Reggae is greatly influenced by what style of music?
13. Beats connect to which of the following aspects of the black culture?
(a) The Beats share race-they are black.
(c) Upward mobility of blacks.
(d) Poverty of the black people.
14. According to Hebdige, which is an underlying influence of the reggae subculture?
15. What does Hebdige say about SOME aspects of youth culture with respect to the parent culture?
(a) All youth culture reflects parent culture.
(b) Parent culture reflects youth culture, not the other way around.
(c) They no way reflect the parent culture.
(d) There is no such thing as a youth culture and parent culture. Both the youth and parent exercise the traditions of one, the same culture.
Short Answer Questions
1. The manner in which the Rastafarian parents migrated did which of the following?
2. The Rastafarian subculture says the "black sufferer" is placed where?
3. Chapter 4 speaks about the Glams and their ideal of which of the following?
4. According to Hebdige, there is a disconnect between black sound and what?
5. Which place do Rastafarians believe is the "Promised Land"?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)