|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Chapter 4, what does the black culture lose as it spreads into the world?
2. To a certain extent, media shapes which of the following?
(a) Perception of social selfishness.
(b) Perception of societal taboos.
(c) Perception of social self.
(d) Perception of socioeconomic status.
3. According to Hebdige, the mass culture mythologizes signification as a means of gaining which of the following?
(d) More followers.
4. Chapter 2 begins by talking about the London heat wave of what year?
5. Hebdige's Subculture is which of the following approaches to understanding the styles of Britain's youth cultures?
6. Of the following, which is a common activity that affects social behavior?
(a) Playing sports.
7. Which of the following is the name of the song based on the London riots?
(a) Blue Riot.
(b) Red Riot.
(c) Black Riot.
(d) White Riot.
8. What happened to the people of London as the heat intensified?
(a) The people migrated to Dublin, Ireland.
(b) The people went from being annoyed to being violent.
(c) Nothing. The heat wave did not affect them.
(d) The masses died.
9. According to the Rastafarians, which of the following is considered a blessing?
10. What purpose does Hebdige say mass culture serves to subcultures?
(d) Promote growth.
11. What period in history does Hebdige focus on?
(a) Post-war Britain.
(b) Pre-war Britain.
(c) Britain during the war.
(d) Edwardian era.
12. What music style developed as a result of the black immigration?
(c) Top 40.
(d) Heavy Metal.
13. What is the main thing Hebdige is trying to understand about subcultures?
(a) Their religious context.
(b) Their emotional context.
(c) Their spiritual context.
(d) Their historical context.
14. The manner in which the Rastafarian parents migrated did which of the following?
(a) Demonstrated their hope for a bright future in a new land.
(b) Marked them as targets of discrimination.
(c) Showed they were successful business people.
(d) Allowed them to easily conform to the cultural norms of their new home.
15. What type of "rebellion" does Hebdige say subcultures are?
Short Answer Questions
1. Hebdige says that individuals understand ideology in which of the following ways?
2. Which of the following is NOT a "common object" mentioned by Hebdige in the last paragraph of Chapter 1?
3. Which of the following does Hebdige say has been neglected?
4. Punk lacks which of the following?
5. Which place do Rastafarians believe is the "Promised Land"?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)