|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Skinheads derived from what subculture?
(a) Hard mods.
(d) Teddy Boys.
2. In terms of transforming from childhood to maturity, what is Hebdige not concerned with?
(a) Unfamiliar rites of passage.
(b) Why subcultures form.
(c) Where and when subcultures form.
(d) Familiar rites of passage.
3. After the migration of the Rastafarian parents, what musical style did they introduce to the world?
(c) R & B.
4. Individuals' conduct in society is greatly influenced by which?
(a) Firemen and women.
5. Of the many subcultures, which two especially believe the idea that blacks represent the natural state of man?
(a) Mods and Glams.
(b) Hippies and 1950's Teddy Boys.
(c) Skinheads and Punks.
(d) Beats and Hipsters.
6. According to Chapter 4, which of the following accurately describes the values of the Glams?
7. In Chapter 4, how do the Teddy Boys feel about life?
8. The Glam subculture primarily consisted of which of the following?
(b) Blacks and Whites.
(d) Skinheads who want to break away from the Skinhead subculture.
9. According to the Rastafarian interpretation of the Bible, where is God?
(d) South America.
10. Which of the following musical acts is known for occasionally adopting the Jamaican street style?
(a) The Ramones.
(b) David Bowie.
(c) The Who.
(d) The Clash.
11. Hebdige describes subcultures as"mediation" between what?
(a) Ideas and truths.
(b) Opinions and facts.
(c) Lies and wishes.
(d) Experience and tradition.
12. Of the Reggae subculture, Hebdige says it has strong, cultural what?
13. To which philosopher does Hebdige compare his beliefs?
(a) Ibn Warraq.
(b) Karl Marx.
(c) Arnaldus de Villanova.
(d) Albric of London.
14. Beats connect to which of the following aspects of the black culture?
(a) The Beats share race-they are black.
(c) Poverty of the black people.
(d) Upward mobility of blacks.
15. Which of the following subcultures was viewed by the mass culture as a major threat and lead its members to declare war?
Short Answer Questions
1. In which of the following does Hebdige say Punks find their identity?
2. According to Hebdige, there is a disconnect between black sound and what?
3. What does Hebdige say is one of the things that "deconstructs rock music back to its more fundamental roots"?
4. Hebdige states, "the implication is that style, with its inherent subversion, can . . ." do what?
5. The manner in which the Rastafarian parents migrated did which of the following?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)