|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hebdige says that reggae is primarily inspired by which of the following?
2. Hebdige describes subcultures as"mediation" between what?
(a) Ideas and truths.
(b) Lies and wishes.
(c) Experience and tradition.
(d) Opinions and facts.
3. According to the Rastafarians, which of the following is considered a blessing?
4. The actions of people are many times persuaded by what?
(b) Playing in the park.
5. In Chapter 5, Hebdige says mass media defines what?
(a) Emotional attitude.
(b) Cultural truths.
(c) Social expectations.
(d) Cultural experience.
6. What did Jamaican slaves combine with the teachings of the Bible to form reggae?
(a) Ideals from the mass culture.
(b) Nothing. They only utilized the teachings from the Bible to form reggae.
(c) Written traditions.
(d) Oral traditions.
7. After the migration of the Rastafarian parents, what musical style did they introduce to the world?
(a) R & B.
8. What does Hebdige say about post-war Britain with regard to mass media and how it defines cultural experience?
(a) "It shares images and ideals across age and gender."
(b) "It shares sound and images across class and culture."
(c) "It shares sound and images across race and culture."
(d) It shares truths and sound across age and race."
9. To a certain extent, media shapes which of the following?
(a) Perception of socioeconomic status.
(b) Perception of social selfishness.
(c) Perception of societal taboos.
(d) Perception of social self.
10. What is the main thing Hebdige is trying to understand about subcultures?
(a) Their emotional context.
(b) Their spiritual context.
(c) Their religious context.
(d) Their historical context.
11. What purpose does Hebdige say mass culture serves to subcultures?
(c) Promote growth.
12. The Rastafarian subculture says the "black sufferer" is placed where?
(c) Hong Kong.
13. Reggae is greatly influenced by what style of music?
14. Punk's motivating music types came together through which of the following to create Punk?
(a) Logic and circumstance.
(b) Common sense and logic.
(c) Pomp and circumstance.
(d) Common experience and circumstance.
15. Where are the parents of the Rastafarians from?
(a) West Indies.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hebdige says that individuals understand ideology in which of the following ways?
2. Of the following, which is a common activity that affects social behavior?
3. Which of the following motivated punk?
4. Which of the following describes a standard of the Glam subculture?
5. Which of the following is a notion NOT associated with the Punk subculture?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)