|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hebdige define style?
(a) A way of life.
(b) The norm.
(c) A personal choice.
(d) An aesthetic nonconformity.
2. In order to understand punk, one must understand which of the following?
(a) The origins of other subcultures.
(b) Its origins.
(c) The direction in which it is going.
(d) The direction in which other subcultures are going.
3. Which of the following is considered a usual sociological factor?
4. According to the Rastafarian interpretation of the Bible, where is God?
(c) South America.
5. The STYLE between the Teddy Boys of the 50's and 70's is which of the following?
(a) Started out the same but ended differently.
(d) Started out differently but ended the same.
6. How does Hebdige relate style to the "myth of consensus"?
(a) It is to "overturn the 'myth of consensus' enjoyed by the mass culture."
(b) It is to "overturn the 'myth of consensus' hated by the mass culture."
(c) It is to "overrun the 'myth of consensus' enjoyed by the mass culture."
(d) It is to "agree with the 'myth of consensus' enjoyed by the mass culture."
7. According to Chapter 4, what does the black culture lose as it spreads into the world?
8. What type of "rebellion" does Hebdige say subcultures are?
9. What happened to the people of London as the heat intensified?
(a) Nothing. The heat wave did not affect them.
(b) The people went from being annoyed to being violent.
(c) The people migrated to Dublin, Ireland.
(d) The masses died.
10. Which of the following is NOT a "common object" mentioned by Hebdige in the last paragraph of Chapter 1?
(b) Safety pin.
(d) Pointed shoes.
11. The anger of the people turned into what type of riots?
12. Of the following, which is a common activity that affects social behavior?
(d) Playing sports.
13. Which of the following describes a standard of the Glam subculture?
14. According to Hebdige, subcultures serve the purpose of allowing individuals to do which of the following?
(a) Overthrow the mass culture.
(b) Become a part of the mass culture.
(c) Prove that the mass culture serves no purpose.
(d) Symbolically separate themselves from the mass culture.
15. What purpose does Hebdige say mass culture serves to subcultures?
(d) Promote growth.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Teddy Boys of the 70's are a symbol of what?
2. What do the Teddy Boys of the 50's represent?
3. Punk's motivating music types came together through which of the following to create Punk?
4. According to Hebdige, there is a disconnect between black sound and what?
5. What does Hebdige say is one of the things that "deconstructs rock music back to its more fundamental roots"?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)