|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hebdige says that style can be be identified through which of the following?
(c) Political stance.
2. According to Chapter 9, a rocket jacket is which of the following qualities?
3. What does Hebdige say about post-war Britain with regard to mass media and how it defines cultural experience?
(a) "It shares images and ideals across age and gender."
(b) "It shares sound and images across class and culture."
(c) "It shares sound and images across race and culture."
(d) It shares truths and sound across age and race."
4. Which of the following do Rastafarians say is the strength behind their beliefs?
5. By their very nature, subcultures do what to the mass culture?
(d) Agree with.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 9, which of the following does Hebdige use as an example of an object that once again becomes solely associated with the dominant culture?
2. What does Hebdige define as "a systemic, material language in which objects can be combined in infinite ways to produce meaning"?
3. Hebdige says that reggae is primarily inspired by which of the following?
4. What period in history does Hebdige focus on?
5. What is a major difference between the participants of black subcultures and white subcultures?
This section contains 255 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)