|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When referring to the philosophies of others, Hebdige discusses which type of conflict?
2. Which of the following is a way that "powerless teenagers" can feel like they are "socially significant"?
(a) Join a subculture.
(b) Follow the rules of the mass culture.
(c) Defy gravity.
(d) Engage in violence.
3. What type of "rebellion" does Hebdige say subcultures are?
4. What happened to the people of London as the heat intensified?
(a) The people went from being annoyed to being violent.
(b) The masses died.
(c) The people migrated to Dublin, Ireland.
(d) Nothing. The heat wave did not affect them.
5. Reggae has origins in which of the following?
(b) Post-war Britain.
(c) West Indies.
(d) Pre-war Britain.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Hebdige, subcultures serve the purpose of allowing individuals to do which of the following?
2. Hebdige's Subculture is which of the following approaches to understanding the styles of Britain's youth cultures?
3. Which of the following is NOT a "common object" mentioned by Hebdige in the last paragraph of Chapter 1?
4. Hebdige states, "the implication is that style, with its inherent subversion, can . . ." do what?
5. How does Hebdige define the purpose of style?
This section contains 282 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)