|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In order to understand punk, one must understand which of the following?
(a) The direction in which it is going.
(b) The origins of other subcultures.
(c) Its origins.
(d) The direction in which other subcultures are going.
2. Which of the following is a way that "powerless teenagers" can feel like they are "socially significant"?
(a) Join a subculture.
(b) Engage in violence.
(c) Defy gravity.
(d) Follow the rules of the mass culture.
3. After the migration of the Rastafarian parents, what musical style did they introduce to the world?
(b) R & B.
4. Where are the parents of the Rastafarians from?
(d) West Indies.
5. How does Hebdige relate style to the "myth of consensus"?
(a) It is to "overrun the 'myth of consensus' enjoyed by the mass culture."
(b) It is to "agree with the 'myth of consensus' enjoyed by the mass culture."
(c) It is to "overturn the 'myth of consensus' enjoyed by the mass culture."
(d) It is to "overturn the 'myth of consensus' hated by the mass culture."
Short Answer Questions
1. The Rastafarian subculture says the "black sufferer" is placed where?
2. Which of the following subcultures was viewed by the mass culture as a major threat and lead its members to declare war?
3. To which philosopher does Hebdige compare his beliefs?
4. Which of the following motivated punk?
5. How does Hebdige define style?
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)