|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Shawn do at the Pacific Science Center when he is eight?
(a) View the Grossology Exhibit about the human body.
(b) Attend a laser show.
(c) Ride the virtual reality attraction.
(d) Attend a special summer camp.
2. In the stanza of the poem at the beginning of Chapter 15, what is falling?
3. What does Shawn's mother call Cindy and Paul downstairs to discuss the morning after Ally spends the night?
(a) The video Shawn's father made at his school.
(b) A made-for-television movie.
(c) The murder of a disabled child.
(d) Appearing on a talk show.
4. According to the interview of Earl Detraux on the Alice Ponds Show, what is his quality of life like currently?
(a) His life is in shambles because his wife left him.
(b) His life is somewhat like Scout camp.
(c) His life is fine as long as other people stay out of his way.
(d) His life is meaningless without his son.
5. In the interview when Alice Ponds mentions voluntary euthanasia, what is she implying?
(a) That Sydney is off-topic.
(b) That all types of euthanasia are the same.
(c) That her studio audience does not understand the topic.
(d) That children are not the same as adults.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Earl Detraux's son?
2. Which of the following is not a happy memory for Shawn?
3. In Chapter 14, who refers to Shawn as "baby boy"?
4. In Chapter 13, Shawn cannot stop thinking about his father. How long has it been since The Alice Ponds Show?
5. On The Alice Ponds Show, what does Sydney McDaniel claim kills Collin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is apparent about the relationship between Paul and his father after Paul finds out that his father wants him to go on the Alice Ponds show?
2. The morning after Ally spends the night, why does Shawn think that something is wrong?
3. On The Alice Ponds Show, there is a clip of an interview between Sydney McDaniel and Earl Detraux. What does Earl Detraux look like and what is his demeanor?
4. What is the Annie-Sullivan-meeting-Helen Keller-in-The Miracle-Worker routine and what does Shawn think about it?
5. What is Sydney McDaniel's definition of parental love, as offered on The Alice Ponds Show?
6. In Chapter 14, why does Shawn fall asleep exhausted at ten o'clock that night?
7. If Shawn has never been to his father's house, does Shawn have an accurate knowledge of what his father's bedroom looks like, and if so, how does he know?
8. How does Shawn describe the African animal mobile that hangs over his bed, and why does he describe it in this manner?
9. Why does Shawn say in Chapter 12 that he never loved or feared his brother more than at one particular moment the previous summer?
10. On The Alice Ponds Show, what is Alice Ponds' goal while interviewing Sydney McDaniel.
This section contains 1,330 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)