|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Shawn's father sits on Shawn's oversized crib, what does he put in his lap?
(a) A quilt.
(b) A mobile.
(d) A pillow.
2. In the stanza of the poem that opens Chapter 12, who or what is dead?
3. In the chaos of packing to drive to Spokane, who tries to kiss Shawn's forehead?
4. In the stanza of the poem at the beginning of Chapter 15, what is falling?
5. When Shawn tells Ally that he loves her, what word or phrase does he almost add?
(c) Always and forever.
(d) Because you are so beautiful.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shawn say interferes with his ability to secure a close, intimate relationship with a girl?
2. According to Shawn, what is a fancy name for babysitting?
3. In Chapter 13, Shawn cannot stop thinking about his father. How long has it been since The Alice Ponds Show?
4. In Shawn's memory of Christmas when he is six years old, what are Cindy and Paul doing?
5. What do the ruffians do to Shawn?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Shawn's opinion of the role of memories and "being known for who you are" when someone dies?
2. Paul and Shawn's mother have opposite views about Sydney, Shawn's father. Who does Shawn agree with and what is his opinion of his father?
3. Why is it significant that Shawn's father volunteers to take care of Shawn by himself overnight and sends Vonda home?
4. While Shawn has a doozy of a seizure during the end of the Alice Ponds show, what does he experience?
5. What did Shawn's father do at the Pacific Science Center when Shawn was eight years old?
6. How does Shawn describe the African animal mobile that hangs over his bed, and why does he describe it in this manner?
7. On The Alice Ponds Show, what is Alice Ponds' goal while interviewing Sydney McDaniel.
8. Paul and Cindy discuss their father's appearance on The Alice Ponds Show. What do they think about what their father says on the show?
9. What is the Annie-Sullivan-meeting-Helen Keller-in-The Miracle-Worker routine and what does Shawn think about it?
10. What is Sydney McDaniel's definition of parental love, as offered on The Alice Ponds Show?
This section contains 1,320 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)