|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 5, during the "amazingly loud" applause, who flinches?
(a) The reporter.
(b) The young waiter.
2. What can be frustrating to Shawn?
(a) His reflexes.
(b) Being talked to like a newborn baby.
(c) That he is pretty sure his father is planning to kill him.
(d) Being trapped inside a useless body.
3. How long ago was the premiere reading of the poem that was written about Shawn?
(a) Five years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Three years.
(d) Two years.
4. What does Cindy do when the dog is hit by the car?
(a) Picks up the dog and strokes its face until it dies.
(b) Continues driving.
(c) Swerves and doubles back.
(d) Calls for help on the cell phone.
5. According to Shawn in Chapter 8, when does his father seem to feel the closest to Shawn?
(a) When his father laughs after performing the little "ritual."
(b) When sitting quietly next to Shawn in the sun.
(c) During his siezures.
(d) During the reading of the award-winning poem.
Short Answer Questions
1. What phrase is confusing to Shawn at first because of his lack of experience?
2. What does the crow do that startles Shawn and his father?
3. How old is Shawn when his father feeds him for the last time?
4. According to Shawn in Chapter 7, how does the "proven scientific method for judging such things" classify Shawn?
5. In Chapter 8, what do the doctors say is "almost impossible?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What "techniques of making contact" does Shawn mention have not been tried on him?
2. Why does Shawn need medicine to control the seizures?
3. What does Lindy say to her friend Connie about her feelings toward Sydney's abandonment of the family?
4. What kinds of things is Shawn able to remember using his gift?
5. What is Shawn able to do when his spirit leaves his body during a seizure?
6. What is Shawn's out-of-body experience like while his father is in the classroom shooting video with a cameraman?
7. How does Shawn describe the first signs that he will have a seizure?
8. How does Shawn use the example of George Washington to show the reader that he knows more than he is given credit for?
9. When Shawn first heard people referred to as "vegetables," what types of images did he envision in his head?
10. Why does Shawn think that his father is smart?
This section contains 1,093 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)