|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Paul?
(a) Shawn's middle brother.
(b) Shawn's older brother.
(c) Shawn's younger brother.
(d) Shawn's cousin.
2. What gives Shawn a chill as his father is leaving his classroom after filming footage for the PBS Special?
(a) A sudden gust of cold air.
(b) Something in his father's expression.
(c) A screeching bird that files in through the window.
(d) The words, "...end his pain."
3. Why does Shawn get confused about some aspects and experiences of life?
(a) Because his brain injury causes hallucinations sometimes.
(b) Because his family shelters him intentionally.
(c) Because hearing about things is not as informative as experiencing things yourself.
(d) Because he cannot turn his head voluntarily.
4. How does Shawn's mother describe Sydney to Connie?
(a) As cowardly and weak.
(b) As a prize-winning journalist narcissist.
(c) As a wonderful teacher without patience.
(d) As a literary genius who has issues.
5. How many talk shows does Sydney appear on because of the poem?
Short Answer Questions
1. In the first verse of the poem that Sydney writes, what animal does he use to refer to Shawn?
2. What kind of prize does his father win?
3. What do Shawn's parents explain to their friends "a trillion times?"
4. Why is Dad enraged and fearful after the experience with the crow?
5. How many times has Shawn's father said his name aloud in his presence?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Shawn think that his father is smart?
2. How does seeing the death of the dog make Shawn feel?
3. How does Shawn's special gift progress and strengthen?
4. How much control does Shawn have over his seizures?
5. Describe what the special education class at Shoreline High School is like according to Shawn, and how the students behave.
6. What does the encounter with the crow reveal to Shawn's father, and what thought occurs to him?
7. When talking to her mother, how does Cindy explain her experience with the dog's death?
8. How does Shawn describe his father?
9. How does Shawn learn to read?
10. What kinds of things is Shawn able to remember using his gift?
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)