|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Shawn's father sits on his oversized crib, what does he do to Shawn?
(a) Smothers him with a quilt.
(b) Smothers him with a pillow.
(c) Kiss him.
(d) Bends his thumbs into right angles.
2. What does Shawn explain at the end of the angel dream?
(a) I don't want to be an angel!
(b) I don't want to die!
(c) I am not an angel!
(d) Angels aren't real!
3. What is Shawn's bed like at home?
(a) A steel crib.
(b) An oversized crib.
(c) An electric hospital bed.
(d) A toddler bed in the shape of a race car.
4. In the dream in Chapter 14, where does Shawn hide?
(a) In the corner of the room.
(b) In the closet.
(c) Behind the door.
(d) Just outside in the hall.
5. What are the first word or words that Shawn's father has ever heard Shawn speak?
(b) Dad, it's me.
(c) Hey, come here.
(d) Dad, I'm okay.
6. On The Alice Ponds Show, what does Sydney McDaniel claim kills Collin?
(a) His father.
(b) A seizure.
(c) The medical establishment.
(d) His medical condition coupled with a poor quality of life.
7. Cindy says something on the Alice Ponds Show that Paul calls "classic." What does she say?
(a) Do I know you?
(b) I go there often.
(c) Which brother?
(d) I'd be lost without him.
8. What does Cindy call Earl Detraux?
(a) A selfish, self centered creep.
(b) A crazed publicity seeker.
(c) A monster.
(d) A mad scientist.
9. In the stanza of the poem at the beginning of Chapter 15, what is falling?
10. Who believes that kids like Shawn and their families need more than the Special Olympics?
11. In Chapter 14, who refers to Shawn as "baby boy"?
(a) The angels.
(c) Shawn's mother.
(d) Shawn's father.
12. After the fight, who tells the strangers that they need to leave the yard?
13. According to the interview of Earl Detraux on the Alice Ponds Show, what is his quality of life like currently?
(a) His life is meaningless without his son.
(b) His life is somewhat like Scout camp.
(c) His life is in shambles because his wife left him.
(d) His life is fine as long as other people stay out of his way.
14. When did Shawn's mother get her nickname?
(a) From one of Shawn's earliest vocalizations.
(b) From his father, after Paul is born.
(c) From her younger brother, who could not pronounce her name as a child.
(d) From his father, before they are married.
15. Why is Shawn glad that Ally leaves before he got up?
(a) So she will not see him eating breakfast.
(b) Because he knows that the sooner she leaves the sooner she will return.
(c) So he can remember how she appears in his dream.
(d) Because no guests means uninterrupted one-on-one time with his mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shawn's father say he did, night after night, when Shawn was born?
2. According to Shawn, how often does Shawn visit his father's house?
3. What do Cindy's friends do in front of Shawn that he sees as a "silver lining?"
4. What is newsworthy about Collin?
5. After Shawn's father sits on Shawn's oversized crib, what does he put in his lap?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)