|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens during the commercial after the interview of Earl Detraux on the Alice Ponds Show?
(a) The family room is silent.
(b) Shawn has a seizure.
(c) A bird files into the closed family room window.
(d) The electricity goes off.
2. What room do Cindy and her friends sleep in when there is a sleepover?
(a) The living room.
(b) Cindy's room.
(c) The guest room.
(d) The family room.
3. In Chapter 13, Shawn cannot stop thinking about his father. How long has it been since The Alice Ponds Show?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) A week.
(c) Five days.
(d) One day.
4. What type of audience does The Alice Ponds Show attract?
(a) An educated, boysterous audience.
(b) A wealthy, philanthropic audience.
(c) An uneducated, loud audience.
(d) The type of audience that watches PBS specials.
5. What is Shawn's bed like at home?
(a) An electric hospital bed.
(b) A steel crib.
(c) An oversized crib.
(d) A toddler bed in the shape of a race car.
6. After Shawn's father sits on Shawn's oversized crib, what does he put in his lap?
(a) A quilt.
(c) A pillow.
(d) A mobile.
7. According to the interview of Earl Detraux on the Alice Ponds Show, what is his quality of life like currently?
(a) His life is somewhat like Scout camp.
(b) His life is meaningless without his son.
(c) His life is fine as long as other people stay out of his way.
(d) His life is in shambles because his wife left him.
8. What does Shawn explain at the end of the angel dream?
(a) Angels aren't real!
(b) I don't want to be an angel!
(c) I am not an angel!
(d) I don't want to die!
9. In Chapter 12, what is Paul's punishment?
(a) Revocation of driving privileges.
(b) No allowance for a week.
(d) Weeding the rock garden.
10. Shawn's father's house can be described as what?
(a) A simple two-story house.
(b) A home befitting a Pulitzer Prize winner.
(c) Surrounded by a cherry orchard.
(d) A typical suburban home in Seattle.
11. What kind of tournament is Paul entering with his teammates?
(d) La Crosse.
12. In Chapter 14, who refers to Shawn as "baby boy"?
(a) Shawn's father.
(b) The angels.
(d) Shawn's mother.
13. What does Cindy call Earl Detraux?
(a) A crazed publicity seeker.
(b) A mad scientist.
(c) A selfish, self centered creep.
(d) A monster.
14. What happens to Shawn and his father after his father finishes speaking in Chapter 16?
(a) Shawn's father releases their thumbs.
(b) They lock eyes.
(c) Tears run down both of their cheeks.
(d) They breathe in unison.
15. After Shawn's father sits on his oversized crib, what does he do to Shawn?
(a) Kiss him.
(b) Smothers him with a quilt.
(c) Smothers him with a pillow.
(d) Bends his thumbs into right angles.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Shawn, what is a fancy name for babysitting?
2. In the stanza of the poem that opens Chapter 11, what is the overriding image or message?
3. In the dream in Chapter 14, where does Shawn hide?
4. What seems to fall off of the computer screen in Chapter 14?
5. Who is initially confused in the dream about the angels?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)