|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens at the very end of chapter 16?
(a) Shawn's father turns away.
(b) Shawn's father lifts the pillow.
(c) Shawn has a seizure.
(d) Shawn leaves his body.
2. After Shawn's father sits on Shawn's oversized crib, what does he put in his lap?
(a) A mobile.
(c) A pillow.
(d) A quilt.
3. In Chapter 13, Shawn cannot stop thinking about his father. How long has it been since The Alice Ponds Show?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) A week.
(c) One day.
(d) Five days.
4. What happens to Shawn and his father after his father finishes speaking in Chapter 16?
(a) They lock eyes.
(b) Tears run down both of their cheeks.
(c) They breathe in unison.
(d) Shawn's father releases their thumbs.
5. When does Paul realize what he is doing with the lighter?
(a) When their mother opens the back door.
(b) When the lighter fails to ignite.
(c) When Cindy screams in his face.
(d) When Shawn goes into a seizure.
6. What is Earl Detraux doing now?
(a) Making a PBS special with Shawn's father.
(b) Making a made-for-TV movie with Shawn's father.
(c) Appearing on the Alice Ponds show.
(d) Serving time.
7. What does the reader know for sure Vonda has in her purse?
(b) A cell phone.
(c) Nail polish.
(d) Shawn's father's book.
8. In the stanza of the poem that opens Chapter 10, what has become a "meringue of dust"?
9. What does Shawn explain at the end of the angel dream?
(a) I don't want to die!
(b) I am not an angel!
(c) I don't want to be an angel!
(d) Angels aren't real!
10. What is newsworthy about Collin?
(a) He appears on the Alice Ponds show.
(b) He appears in a PBS Special about disabled children.
(c) He is smothered.
(d) He has a special motorized wheelchair.
11. What do the ruffians do to Shawn?
(a) They dump him out of his wheelchair.
(b) They squirt him with a hose.
(c) They burn him.
(d) They stab the tires of his wheelchair.
12. What shocks Shawn while he is dreaming about the angels?
(a) That his father sees him.
(b) That his father thinks he is an angel.
(c) That he can hear his own voice.
(d) That he and his father are actually talking.
13. What does Shawn do at the end of the dream about Ally?
(a) Soar off into the universe holding Ally by the hand.
(b) Begin to cry.
(c) Smile the biggest smile ever.
(d) Walk off into the sunset with Ally.
14. In Chapter 12, Cindy admits to feeling guilty about what?
(a) Ever complaining.
(b) Yelling at her mother when she is frustrated.
(c) Going on The Alice Ponds Show.
(d) Hurting Shawn's feelings.
15. In the interview when Alice Ponds mentions voluntary euthanasia, what is she implying?
(a) That children are not the same as adults.
(b) That all types of euthanasia are the same.
(c) That Sydney is off-topic.
(d) That her studio audience does not understand the topic.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 9, what suddenly matters a lot to Shawn?
2. Shawn's father's house can be described as what?
3. How does Shawn feel after meeting Ally?
4. Who believes that kids like Shawn and their families need more than the Special Olympics?
5. In the stanza of the poem that opens Chapter 9, what is the ghost bird replacing?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)