|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the stanza of the poem that opens Chapter 12, who or what is dead?
2. In Shawn's memory of Christmas when he is six years old, what are Cindy and Paul doing?
(a) Wrapping Shawn's Christmas present.
(b) Buying Shawn's Christmas gift.
(c) Wrapping Mom's Christmas gift.
(d) Sneaking peaks at their Christmas gifts.
3. What does Shawn's father say he did, night after night, when Shawn was born?
(a) Rage against the truth.
(b) Sink into a depression.
4. In Chapter 12, Cindy admits to feeling guilty about what?
(a) Yelling at her mother when she is frustrated.
(b) Hurting Shawn's feelings.
(c) Ever complaining.
(d) Going on The Alice Ponds Show.
5. In the chaos of packing to drive to Spokane, who tries to kiss Shawn's forehead?
6. When did Shawn's mother get her nickname?
(a) From one of Shawn's earliest vocalizations.
(b) From her younger brother, who could not pronounce her name as a child.
(c) From his father, before they are married.
(d) From his father, after Paul is born.
7. Who gathers with Shawn to watch his father's episode of The Alice Ponds Show?
(a) Cindy and Paul.
(b) Mom and Paul.
(c) Lindy, Cindy, and Paul.
(d) The extended McDaniel family.
8. What does Shawn's mother call Cindy and Paul downstairs to discuss the morning after Ally spends the night?
(a) Appearing on a talk show.
(b) The murder of a disabled child.
(c) The video Shawn's father made at his school.
(d) A made-for-television movie.
9. According to Shawn, what is a fancy name for babysitting?
(a) The Special Olympics.
(b) The television.
(d) Respite care.
10. How far away from Cindy and her friends is Shawn usually sitting before he is put to bed?
(a) All answers are correct.
(b) Close enough to hear all but whispered secrets.
(c) Fifteen feet away.
(d) One room away.
11. What do Cindy's friends do in front of Shawn that he sees as a "silver lining?"
(a) When they include him in conversations, they shout at him.
(b) They romp in the next room.
(c) They act as though Shawn is blind and deaf.
(d) They make sure to whisper their most private secrets so he cannot hear.
12. What does Shawn explain at the end of the angel dream?
(a) Angels aren't real!
(b) I don't want to die!
(c) I don't want to be an angel!
(d) I am not an angel!
13. When his father comes into Shawn's room, perhaps to kill him, how does Shawn feel?
14. Shawn, Cindy, and Paul all know what when it comes to their father?
(a) Their father is absent much of the time so there is little motivation for him to kill Shawn.
(b) He is too cowardly to ever hurt Shawn.
(c) Paul is stronger then his father, so Shawn is safe.
(d) No one can protect Shawn from him.
15. In the stanza of the poem that opens Chapter 10, what has become a "meringue of dust"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the two ruffians asking about for when they threaten Shawn?
2. According to the interview of Earl Detraux on the Alice Ponds Show, what does Earl seem to think was significant about Collin's behavior while he was dying?
3. In the interview when Alice Ponds mentions voluntary euthanasia, what is she implying?
4. What room do Cindy and her friends sleep in when there is a sleepover?
5. What is Earl Detraux doing now?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)