|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Shawn think about the city in which he lives?
(a) It's too rainy.
(b) It's wild to live near so many sports teams.
(c) It's cool beyond belief.
(d) It's not sunny enough.
2. In the stanza of the poem that opens Chapter 8, what is the main question being asked?
(a) Who is in there?
(b) How long must we wait?
(c) Why is this happening?
(d) What is wrong?
3. How many talk shows does Sydney appear on because of the poem?
4. How long ago was the premiere reading of the poem that was written about Shawn?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Two years.
(c) Three years.
(d) Five years.
5. What does Dad think the crow might do to Shawn?
(a) Leave droppings on his clothes.
(b) Infect him with disease.
(c) Give him lice.
(d) Peck his eyes out.
6. What does Dad throw at the crow?
(a) A paperback book.
(b) A newspaper.
(c) A glass of iced tea.
(d) A bucket of ice cubes.
7. Faced with the crow, Dad compares Shawn's helplessness to what?
(a) A bug.
(b) A feather.
(c) A baby.
(d) A worm.
8. Why is Dad enraged and fearful after the experience with the crow?
(a) Because his ex-wife left Shawn alone with him.
(b) Because the crow may induce a seizure in Shawn.
(c) Because he realizes that Shawn is helpless and impossible to protect.
(d) Because it is humiliating to have to be afraid of a crow.
9. In Shawn's opinion, the fame of the poem turned his father into a professional what?
(c) Talk show guest.
10. What happens in Chapter 7 when Shawn and his father are right in front of the camera?
(a) Shawn falls out of his wheelchair.
(b) Shawn has a seizure.
(c) The cameraman trips over one of the ambulatory students.
(d) His father notices Shawn nuzzling Becky.
11. In Chapter 7, why is it necessary to file an incident report?
(a) Because William turns out to be cruel.
(b) Because Shawn fell out of his wheelchair.
(c) Because William accidentally broke Shawn's arm.
(d) Because Shawn cracked his skull.
12. What is Shawn's bad news?
(a) Being born changed life for the whole family.
(b) He is a total "retardate."
(c) His parents got divorced because of him.
(d) All answers are correct.
13. According to Shawn in Chapter 8, when does his father seem to feel the closest to Shawn?
(a) During the reading of the award-winning poem.
(b) During his siezures.
(c) When his father laughs after performing the little "ritual."
(d) When sitting quietly next to Shawn in the sun.
14. What phrase is still confusing to Shawn?
(a) Door bell.
(b) Keep on trucking.
(c) Car wash.
(d) Kitty Hawk.
15. How does Shawn interact with Cindy while having an out-of-body experience?
(a) Shawn touches her hand and thanks her.
(b) Shawn yells in her ear.
(c) Shawn kisses her cheek.
(d) Shawn sits next to her at the beach.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can be frustrating to Shawn?
2. Why does Shawn say that he doesn't really have a body?
3. How old is Shawn when he learns to read?
4. How does Mom try to comfort Cindy about the dog?
5. What allows Shawn to witness the dog's moment of death?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)