|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What control does Shawn have over his body?
(a) Shawn can control his eyes.
(b) Shawn can bounce his head.
(c) Shawn cannot control any of his muscles or functions.
(d) Shawn can control his left finger and tap out Morse code.
2. According to Chapter 1, what is Bell Town?
(a) The unofficial former Grunge Capital of the universe.
(b) A hangout next to the Space Needle.
(c) A hangout a mile from Shawn's home.
(d) A store where Sean buys CDs and DVDs.
3. What is Shawn's bad news?
(a) All answers are correct.
(b) His parents got divorced because of him.
(c) He is a total "retardate."
(d) Being born changed life for the whole family.
4. What is Shawn's birth order?
(a) Oldest Boy.
(d) Middle child.
5. What does Shawn think about death?
(a) Death will put him out of his misery.
(b) Death is peaceful.
(c) Death is a big fat nothing.
(d) Death is the exactly the opposite of of what Cindy says it is.
6. Why does Shawn get confused about some aspects and experiences of life?
(a) Because his brain injury causes hallucinations sometimes.
(b) Because his family shelters him intentionally.
(c) Because he cannot turn his head voluntarily.
(d) Because hearing about things is not as informative as experiencing things yourself.
7. How old is Shawn the first few times that his spirit leaves his body?
8. Shawn values the experience of having seizures so much that he would trade what in order to continue having seizures?
(a) The lives of his immediate family.
(b) His special gift.
(c) His wheelchair.
(d) The ability to read.
9. In Chapter 8, what idea is more confusing to Shawn because he knows that his father loves him?
(a) That his father divorced his mother.
(b) That his father left the family.
(c) That his father might kill him without being sure it is the right thing to do.
(d) That his father makes money from being his father.
10. When first describing the Severely/Profoundly Handicapped Special Education Program that he attends, how does Shawn describe the class?
(a) A zoo.
(b) A refuge.
(c) A circus.
(d) An oasis.
11. In Chapter 5, during the "amazingly loud" applause, who flinches?
(a) The reporter.
(d) The young waiter.
12. Why does Shawn say that he doesn't really have a body?
(a) Because his body doesn't work right.
(b) Because he has never been able to see what he looks like.
(c) Because he has cerebral palsy.
(d) Because his life has always just been in his head.
13. Where does the crow land?
(a) On the telephone line in the alley behind the house.
(b) On the rear-view mirror on his father's car.
(c) On Shawn's spare wheelchair.
(d) On the railing under the overhanging branches.
14. What word or concept is confusing to Shawn until he sees it written out?
(a) Bow legged.
15. According to the conversation that Lindy has with her friend Connie, what aspect of Shawn's condition bothers Sydney the most?
(a) That Shawn's intelligence is so much lower than his own.
(b) That Shawn might be trapped inside himself.
(c) That Shawn does not resemble Sydney at all.
(d) That Shawn is their youngest child.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Shawn the week before his father comes by the house?
2. What is the pain that Dad speaks of wanting to end for Shawn?
3. What does Dad think the crow might do to Shawn?
4. What is Shawn's gift?
5. What can really bum out Shawn sometimes?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)