Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What impression is Lutie left with after she explains her predicament to Boots and leaves his apartment building?
2. What does Bub do that makes him believe he will have to quit the mail scheme?
3. What does Mr. Crosse tell Lutie after hearing her sing?
4. Why does Boots decide against killing Jubilee?
5. How does Min explain the vial of scarlet liquid to Jones?
Essay Topic 1
In three or more paragraphs analyze the purpose of the following characters: Mrs. Hedges, Min, and Junto. Remember to consider their purpose in conjunction with the novel's theme. Once you've analyzed their purpose, comment on their effectiveness as characters. Has the author accomplished her goal with them? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Mrs. Hedges is an unattractive woman who has been burned so badly she refuses to show her body to a single soul. Yet, she orchestrates the selling of beauty and women's bodies. In an essay, explain this contradiction and analyze the author's use of it. Specifically, explain what point the contraction makes. You may wish to incorporate some of Mrs. Hedges' other obvious contradictions.
Essay Topic 3
Has Ann Petry written a successful novel? If so, what qualities deem it so? If not, what qualities prevent its success? Support your answer with evidence from the text and your own prior knowledge.
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)