|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bub plan to do with the money he's earned from the mail scheme?
2. Upon seeing the postman, what plan does Jones concoct?
3. How does Miss Rinner feel about her students and their families?
4. What does Lutie read in the newspaper on the train one evening on her way home from work?
5. How do Boots and Junto view Lutie?
Essay Topic 1
Every writer has his or her own style. That style is marked by word choice, sentence structure, and elements like characterization and plot development. How would you describe Ann Petry's style? Be sure to use direct quotes from the text to illustrate your point. It may be helpful to compare and contrast Petry to other authors you've read.
Essay Topic 2
The Street ends tragically. Not only is Lutie now a murderer, but she has abandoned her child. Considering the gravity of both of these acts, are you sympathetic to Lutie? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
In three or more paragraphs analyze the purpose of the following characters: Mrs. Hedges, Min, and Junto. Remember to consider their purpose in conjunction with the novel's theme. Once you've analyzed their purpose, comment on their effectiveness as characters. Has the author accomplished her goal with them? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,565 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)