Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What impression is Lutie left with after she explains her predicament to Boots and leaves his apartment building?
2. What does Bub do that makes him believe he will have to quit the mail scheme?
3. What does Mr. Crosse tell Lutie after hearing her sing?
4. Why does Boots decide against killing Jubilee?
5. How does Min explain the vial of scarlet liquid to Jones?
Essay Topic 1
Lutie becomes hysterical when she finds that her son is in possession of a shoe shining kit. She rationalizes her behavior by claiming that Bub's decision to shine shoes will ultimately lead him down a path of mediocrity. Why is Lutie unable to see the practical convenience of her son helping out with the household expenses? How does this failure to be practical reflect the effects of racism on Lutie's outlook? Do you agree with Lutie's decision not to allow her son to help her care for the family? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Up until the novel's end, Lutie can be heralded as a virtuous character. Then, she kills Boots. In an essay, chart Lutie's decline and go further to explain it. What is the author's message in the demise of her main and moral character?
Essay Topic 3
Mrs. Hedges is an unattractive woman who has been burned so badly she refuses to show her body to a single soul. Yet, she orchestrates the selling of beauty and women's bodies. In an essay, explain this contradiction and analyze the author's use of it. Specifically, explain what point the contraction makes. You may wish to incorporate some of Mrs. Hedges' other obvious contradictions.
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)