|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What impression is Lutie left with after she explains her predicament to Boots and leaves his apartment building?
2. What does Bub do that makes him believe he will have to quit the mail scheme?
3. What does Mr. Crosse tell Lutie after hearing her sing?
4. Why does Boots decide against killing Jubilee?
5. How does Min explain the vial of scarlet liquid to Jones?
Essay Topic 1
In three or more paragraphs analyze the purpose of the following characters: Mrs. Hedges, Min, and Junto. Remember to consider their purpose in conjunction with the novel's theme. Once you've analyzed their purpose, comment on their effectiveness as characters. Has the author accomplished her goal with them? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The Street ends tragically. Not only is Lutie now a murderer, but she has abandoned her child. Considering the gravity of both of these acts, are you sympathetic to Lutie? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Jones suffers from some sort of mental disease. This fact is noted throughout The Street. Still, not one of the characters suggests that Jones might seek professional help for his condition. Why do you think the characters just dismiss Jones' state as hopeless? Why do you think Jones hasn't considered professional help himself? How might Jones be different if he were shown a bit of compassion from those who surround him? And lastly, what does his dismissal suggest about the society we live in?
This section contains 1,604 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)