|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After returning home from her drive with Boots, what does Lutie discover in her closet?
(a) That her blouse has been crushed and hung in a different spot.
(b) That she has nothing clean to wear.
(c) That Bub has hung some of his clothes there.
(d) That her shoes have been scattered about.
2. Why does Lutie visit Junto's?
(a) To find a new husband.
(b) To gossip with the women.
(c) To escape her apartment.
(d) To hide from Bub.
3. Where do Lutie and Bub currently live?
(a) With Min and Jones.
(b) In Lutie's employer's basement.
(c) In an apartment by themselves.
(d) With Lutie's father and his girlfriend, Lil.
4. What proposition does Mrs. Hedges offer Lutie that causes Lutie to think, "If you live on this damn street you're supposed to want to earn a little extra money sleeping around nights"?
(a) Mrs. Hedges tells Lutie that she knows of a white man who "would like her services".
(b) Mrs. Hedges offers to keep Bub for Lutie until Lutie gets off of work.
(c) Mrs. Hedges tells Lutie that she knows of a rich family looking for a maid's help.
(d) Mrs. Hedges offers to allow Bub to shine shoes in her apartment.
5. How do the orchestra members react to Lutie when Boots introduces her?
(a) As if she were interrupting something.
(b) As if she were just another girl Boots had picked up.
(c) As if they were eager to get to know her.
(d) As if she were the most beautiful woman they'd ever seen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lutie ask of Mrs. Pizzini?
2. What does Jones do when Lutie tries to unchain him in her dream?
3. Which of the following is a job Jones has held?
4. How does Min feel about Mrs. Hedges?
5. How does Boots respond to Lutie's question about how he's able to get gas for his car?
Short Essay Questions
1. Jones becomes enraged when he looks at Bub and imagines that the boy resembles his father. Why do you think this is?
2. How does Lutie feel after being offered the job of singer in Boots' band? What does she know for sure after the offer?
3. What does Lutie feels she sees in the eyes of the neighborhood people, specifically the people she sees in the emergency room?
4. How did the white bartenders treat the patrons of Junto's? How did this treatment differ from the treatment they received in the workforce?
5. In Chapter 1, what idea does the author hope to represent with the shrinking canary, dog, and woman in Jones' apartment?
6. Considering Lutie's failed marriage and Jim's inability to provide for his family, what sort of future does Boots offers Lutie?
7. Chapter 2 provides Lutie with a valuable lesson: "Anybody could be rich if he wanted to and worked hard enough and figured it out carefully enough." Still, Lutie is often discouraged by the world around her. How does the external world affect Lutie's internal life?
8. After leaving Jim, Lutie never reaches out to him again. How does this single fact reflect Lutie's strength?
9. Lutie slaps Bub when she sees him with a shoe shining kit. Why does a shoe shining kit inspire such rage in Lutie?
10. What is likely the reason Bub refuses to tell his mother he's afraid of the dark?
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)