|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of advice does Mrs. Hedges offer Min?
(a) Mrs. Hedges tells Min to come work for her.
(b) Mrs. Hedges tells Min to go see The Prophet David who is a root doctor.
(c) Mrs. Hedges tells Min to leave Jones.
(d) Mrs. Hedges promises that things will get better with time.
2. Where do Lutie and Bub currently live?
(a) In an apartment by themselves.
(b) With Min and Jones.
(c) With Lutie's father and his girlfriend, Lil.
(d) In Lutie's employer's basement.
3. How does Jones feel about Mrs. Hedges?
(a) He likes her more than anyone in the neighborhood.
(b) He strongly dislikes her.
(c) He doesn't pay much attention to her.
(d) He thinks she's a valuable member of the community.
4. After waking up from her nightmare about Jones and the neighborhood, how does Lutie feel?
(a) She feels trapped.
(b) She feels defeated.
(c) She feels a new resolve to move Bub into a better neighborhood.
(d) She feels determined to go through with the end of her marriage.
5. How does Jones feel about the possibility of Min leaving him?
(a) He doesn't care too much about Min leaving him.
(b) He's happy to see her go.
(c) He hates the idea of Min leaving him.
(d) He doesn't believe it will ever happen.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Min feel about Mrs. Hedges?
2. What worries Lutie about Boots' driving?
3. What does Lutie ask of Mrs. Pizzini?
4. How do the orchestra members behave toward Lutie after they hear her sing?
5. How does Lutie feel once arriving home from singing for the orchestra at The Casino?
Short Essay Questions
1. Lutie secures the job at the Chandlers', but she is unable to share her joy with her husband. Why is this?
2. Jones becomes enraged when he looks at Bub and imagines that the boy resembles his father. Why do you think this is?
3. Why does Lutie refuse to wear the blouse crushed by Jones?
4. Chapter 5 is written from Min's point of view. Why has the author chosen to use different narrators?
5. How does Jones's decision to kick Min out after visiting Lutie's apartment reflect his mental instability?
6. In Lutie's dream, she is the one being asked to "unloose" the neighborhood people. Why has Lutie has been given this charge in the dream?
7. What is likely the reason Bub refuses to tell his mother he's afraid of the dark?
8. Describe what Junto's means to the different people in the neighborhood.
9. How does chapter 3 illustrate the racism and sexism faced by Lutie? Provide at least 1 example of each.
10. Describe how Jones and Lutie view one another.
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)