|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Lutie feel about Bub shining shoes?
(a) She thinks it's a healthy way to teach him some responsibility.
(b) She thinks it's inappropriate for a young boy to have a job while in school.
(c) She thinks the job reflects Bub's low self esteem.
(d) She believes if he shines shoes at this age, he'll be performing other low paying menial jobs when he's a grown man.
2. How does Lutie feel about Mrs. Chandler?
(a) She thinks Mrs. Chandler is an unattractive woman.
(b) She thinks Mrs. Chandler is heavily medicated.
(c) She thinks Mrs. Chandler is not very intelligent.
(d) She believes Mrs. Chandler is nice but that she lacks interest in her family.
3. How does Min's preacher dismiss her concerns?
(a) He laughs at her.
(b) He says, "We all got our troubles, Sister. We all got our troubles."
(c) He says, "Pass me the potatoes" while she is speaking.
(d) He tells her that her concerns are small and unimportant.
4. How does the author describe The Junto?
(a) Almost as if it's alive.
(b) Without many concrete references.
(c) As if it were the setting in a dream.
(d) Without color or feeling.
5. What does Boots remind Lutie of?
(a) Of a cat stalking its prey.
(b) Of a dog in heat.
(c) Of a foolish man with an outrageous dream.
(d) Of a stand-up man.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Lutie and Bub currently live?
2. Why does Lutie drop the subject of the draft when she knows Boots is lying?
3. How does Bub feel about the school lunches?
4. What does Boots invite Lutie to do?
5. While washing her blouse and realizing Jones has been through her possessions, what is Lutie sure of?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jones's decision to kick Min out after visiting Lutie's apartment reflect his mental instability?
2. How do Boots' responses to how he gets gas and how he avoided the draft serve the reader? What is the reader able to gather about Boots from his answers?
3. Lutie slaps Bub when she sees him with a shoe shining kit. Why does a shoe shining kit inspire such rage in Lutie?
4. What is likely the reason Bub refuses to tell his mother he's afraid of the dark?
5. Chapter 4 more clearly depicts Jones' obsession with Lutie. In fact, "she made him more aware of his loneliness that ate into him day and night." How might Lutie's mere appearance open up such a void in Jones?
6. How did the white bartenders treat the patrons of Junto's? How did this treatment differ from the treatment they received in the workforce?
7. After leaving Jim, Lutie never reaches out to him again. How does this single fact reflect Lutie's strength?
8. Considering Lutie's failed marriage and Jim's inability to provide for his family, what sort of future does Boots offers Lutie?
9. Boots treats Lutie as if she were prey. Does Lutie behaves as prey? Explain.
10. Chapter 1 outlines the dynamics of Lutie's household. Lutie's father's girlfriend, Lil, has Bub lighting her cigarettes and tasting her gin. How does Lil's behavior reflect and amplify Lutie's fears for her son?
This section contains 1,078 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)