|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jones discover when he gets home from Lutie's?
(a) He discovers that Min and another man are in his apartment.
(b) He discovers that Min isn't home and that all her best clothes are gone.
(c) He discovers that his electricity has been shut off.
(d) He discovers that Min has prepared a fabulous dinner.
2. What does Boots invite Lutie to do?
(a) Audition for a band.
(b) Work as a barmaid at Junto's.
(c) Have free drinks all night long.
(d) Play songs on the jukebox for free.
3. Why does Min think Jones kicked her in her bottom?
(a) Jones thinks Min is stupid and can't get anything right.
(b) Jones is angry about his job.
(c) Jones doesn't like the way Min looks as compared to Lutie.
(d) Jones is an evil man.
4. What effect does Lutie have on Jones?
(a) She makes him see the importance of having a wife.
(b) She makes him more aware of his lonliness.
(c) She makes him realize he doesn't love Min.
(d) She makes him long for home.
5. How do the elderly women in the neighborhood feel about The Junto?
(a) They love it.
(b) They think it is an important part of the community.
(c) They're indifferent to it.
(d) They hate it.
6. After returning from her visit with David, what does Min do differently at home?
(a) She slams the door rather than closing it quietly.
(b) She tosses things about in the bedroom.
(c) She refuses to cook.
(d) She ignores Jones's requests for dinner.
7. How does Bub feel about being slapped by Lutie?
(a) He is understanding of Lutie's reaction.
(b) He's upset and thinks Lutie is preventing him from earning a little extra money.
(c) He seems unphased as Lutie hits him often.
(d) He is embarrassed and secretly mocks his mother.
8. What saves Lutie from Boots' first exhibition of his sexual intentions?
(a) A stranger walks up to the car and asks for a ride.
(b) She points out the time which reminds Boots he has someplace to be.
(c) She jumps out of the car screaming.
(d) She begins crying frantically.
9. Why hasn't Lutie divorced Jim?
(a) She does not believe in divorce.
(b) She can't afford it.
(c) She still loves him.
(d) She can't find the time to file the paperwork.
10. How does Min's preacher dismiss her concerns?
(a) He laughs at her.
(b) He says, "Pass me the potatoes" while she is speaking.
(c) He tells her that her concerns are small and unimportant.
(d) He says, "We all got our troubles, Sister. We all got our troubles."
11. Where is Boots' band scheduled to perform?
(a) The Hilton.
(b) The Casino.
(c) The Junto.
(d) The library.
12. What does Lutie do when Boots tries to put his arm around her waist as he prepares to leave her?
(a) Smiles and tells him goodnight.
(b) Throws her head back and laughs.
(c) Pushes him away violently.
(d) Allows him to pull her close.
13. According to Granny, how do the meats in the butcher shop keep their fresh color?
(a) She says that the butchers only display the freshest meat.
(b) She says that the butchers use food coloring.
(c) She says that the butchers freeze the meat nightly.
(d) She says that butchers in Harlem use embalming fluid to give the meat a nice fresh color.
14. From whose point of view is Chapter 5 written?
(a) Min's point of view.
(b) Bub's point of view.
(c) Jones's point of view.
(d) Mrs. Hedges's point of view.
15. Where do Lutie and Bub currently live?
(a) In Lutie's employer's basement.
(b) With Lutie's father and his girlfriend, Lil.
(c) In an apartment by themselves.
(d) With Min and Jones.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character is the first to be introduced?
2. Which of the following is a job Jones has held?
3. How do the orchestra members behave toward Lutie after they hear her sing?
4. Why does the author choose to use animals to represent the neighborhood people in Lutie's nightmare?
5. Why does everyone stop to hear Lutie sing along with the jukebox?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)