|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While in Connecticut, what valuable lesson does Lutie learn?
(a) "...Being rich is simple. It does not require much work at all."
(b) "...Not everyone can be rich. It requires a lot of hard work."
(c) "...Black people will never be rich since it requires too much hard work and planning."
(d) "...anybody could be rich if he wanted to and worked hard enough and figured it out carefully enough."
2. How does Lutie feel about Bub shining shoes?
(a) She thinks it's a healthy way to teach him some responsibility.
(b) She believes if he shines shoes at this age, he'll be performing other low paying menial jobs when he's a grown man.
(c) She thinks the job reflects Bub's low self esteem.
(d) She thinks it's inappropriate for a young boy to have a job while in school.
3. What proposition does Mrs. Hedges offer Lutie that causes Lutie to think, "If you live on this damn street you're supposed to want to earn a little extra money sleeping around nights"?
(a) Mrs. Hedges offers to allow Bub to shine shoes in her apartment.
(b) Mrs. Hedges tells Lutie that she knows of a rich family looking for a maid's help.
(c) Mrs. Hedges offers to keep Bub for Lutie until Lutie gets off of work.
(d) Mrs. Hedges tells Lutie that she knows of a white man who "would like her services".
4. Where does Lutie head after Mrs. Hedges has made her proposition?
(a) Jones' apartment.
(b) Junto's Bar and Grill.
(c) The Chandlers'.
(d) The movies.
5. How did Mrs. Hedges once embarrass Jones?
(a) By calling him unattractive.
(b) By announcing that he could talk to her through the window rather than coming inside her apartment.
(c) By pointing out the lowly nature of his job.
(d) By telling the neighborhood a private detail about him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character is the first to be introduced?
2. How does Jones feel about Mrs. Hedges?
3. After returning from her visit with David, what does Min do differently at home?
4. What does Lutie fantasize about while standing outside the super's apartment?
5. How does Bub feel about the school lunches?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)