|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the discussion about Frankie, Billy tells Richie that there is a new theory regarding homosexuality. What is the new theory?
2. According to Carlyle, what is the Army all about?
3. News regarding Martin has come in. Where is Martin going?
4. Why does Billy claim to want to get a part-time job as a bartender?
5. Carlyle has entered Richie's room looking for Roger. What does Richie do to make Carlyle think that Richie is going to hit on him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Roger claims that Richie never told him that he was a homosexual. Go back through the play and note all of Richie's references to his homosexuality. Once finished, choose one statement that could be a masked admittance to his homosexuality and one that is a blatant. Compare and contrast the meaning/understanding behind each of the statements.
Essay Topic 2
From the following character list, choose a character and discuss that character's feelings regarding homosexuality. Be sure to address the following questions in your answer: Is the character accepting of homosexuality? Does the character like/accept Richie? Does this character cause problems for Richie (from a military aspect)? Does this character cause problems for Richie from a personal aspect?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of Richie's "tall tales." Discuss why you believe Richie tells the story. Is there any truth behind the story? Why do you think Richie feels he must stretch the truth?
-What goes on in war: snakes and elephant dung
-The story about his dad leaving and being on TV
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)