|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Richie try to get Carlyle to leave the room peacefully after Carlyle accuses him of being rude?
2. Where did Billy and Roger meet for the first time?
3. What part of the day is it at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1?
4. When Billy throws a basketball at Richie, what does the basketball knock out of Richie's hand?
5. What is Carlyle's job in P Company?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose a pairing from the following list. Discuss the friendship in depth. Be sure to address the following questions in the essay: What is the friendship based upon? What are the strengths in the friendship? What are the weakness of the friendship? Is the friendship "typical"? Why/ why not? Be sure to use textual evidence to support the answers.
-Billy and Roger
-Roger and Carlyle
-Billy and Richie (if you see a friendship)
-Cokes and Rooney
Essay Topic 2
What does "ownership" in the military mean to the men (Billy, Roger, Richie, and Carlyle)? What do they own? Does someone "own" them? Why is ownership so important to each character? (Address each character and ownership individually.)
Essay Topic 3
At times, the only color in the play that seems to matter is "Army green." What makes the racial lines blur? Are there poignant racial stereotypes that surface? Be sure to include textual evidence.
This section contains 1,092 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)