|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Carlyle is leaving the room, he calls Richie a punk. What does Richie call Carlyle?
2. What does Roger take out of his locker to put on before leaving the base?
3. Why does Billy get angry when Richie questions him about a story he told about a friend turning gay?
4. As the others are leaving for town, what does Richie claim Billy is scared to death of?
5. What is the only book that Richie tries to read during the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of Richie's "tall tales." Discuss why you believe Richie tells the story. Is there any truth behind the story? Why do you think Richie feels he must stretch the truth?
-What goes on in war: snakes and elephant dung
-The story about his dad leaving and being on TV
Essay Topic 2
From the following character list, choose a character and discuss that character's feelings regarding homosexuality. Be sure to address the following questions in your answer: Is the character accepting of homosexuality? Does the character like/accept Richie? Does this character cause problems for Richie (from a military aspect)? Does this character cause problems for Richie from a personal aspect?
Essay Topic 3
All of the characters have a flaw. Choose a character from the following list and describe their flaw. Use textual evidence to support the decision. Be sure to address the following questions in the essay: What is the character's flaw? Do others recognize the flaw? Do other characters depend on this flaw to use against the owner of the flaw? Does the character recognize their own flaw?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)