|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After asking for a loan, why does Roger claim that Carlyle needs to get off base for a while?
2. After Carlyle leaves the room, after calling Richie rude, what does Billy say will cause him to find another bunk room?
3. After calling Richie "Eddie," what does Richie say his friends call him?
4. What is the only book that Richie tries to read during the play?
5. After Billy tells Carlyle that Richie is not "queer," what does Carlyle claim to want from Richie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the division between the enlisted men (Billy, Roger, Richie, and Carlyle) and the officers (Rooney and Cokes). Which group seems to be more stable? Is this normal? Who would have gone further as a group? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Choose a character from the following list. Discuss whether or not you believe that character thinks/believes Richie is a homosexual. Be sure to discuss their conversations, behaviors, and the stage directions associated with any textual evidence that is deemed supportive of the decision.
Essay Topic 3
Who do you believe the strongest character in the play is? The weakest? Why do you believe this to be true? Be sure to use textual evidence to support the decision.
This section contains 1,164 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)