|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the men are discussing Carlyle before going to town, why does Roger say Carlyle has been acting like he has?
2. After calling Richie "Eddie," what does Richie say his friends call him?
3. According to Carlyle, what is the Army all about?
4. After Billy tells Carlyle that Richie is not "queer," what does Carlyle claim to want from Richie?
5. What is the only book that Richie tries to read during the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose a character from the following list. Discuss whether or not you believe that character thinks/believes Richie is a homosexual. Be sure to discuss their conversations, behaviors, and the stage directions associated with any textual evidence that is deemed supportive of the decision.
Essay Topic 2
What does Carlyle mean when he says, "it has been a long damn time...you ain't gonna put a stop to it," to Billy? What is Carlyle talking about? Could there be a hidden meaning to this statement? Be sure to use textual evidence to support.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the tensions between Billy and Richie throughout the play. Why do the tensions exist for Billy? Why do the tensions exist for Richie? Are the tensions justified? Why/why not?
This section contains 1,129 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)