|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Roger and Billy bring Carlyle while he is laying on the floor?
2. Since Rich missed dinner to take care of Richie, what does Billy bring him from the mess hall?
3. What did Cokes do to the man in the spider hole?
4. How does Richie finish the following statement: "cleanliness is ....."?
5. Which character discusses the attempted suicide with the character who tried to slit his wrists?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Billy shutting the door at the end of Act 2, Scene 1?
2. Although Carlyle tells Richie when they are alone in the bunk room that all he wants to do is talk, Richie does not believe him. What does Richie believe that Carlyle wants?
3. Why do Roger and Carlyle laugh at Richie when they leave to go to town?
4. Why does Richie think that Roger would understand the problems associated with being homosexual?
5. Why does Carlyle have a problem with the duty the Army has assigned him?
6. Why does Billy believe himself to be a busybody?
7. What does Roger mean by the statement he makes regarding white men and Coppertone?
8. Explain the hidden meaning behind Carlyle's comment: "it is dark in the night. Black man got a black body--he disappear."
9. What does Carlyle mean when talking about "the black man's problem"?
10. After Carlyle is cuffed, why does Carlye think that the lieutenant and MPs have no right to tell him what to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the play, Billy repeatedly denies Richie's homosexuality. Why does Billy do this? What is Billy afraid of? Does Billy think that Richie is a threat? Be sure to use textual evidence to support your standpoint.
Essay Topic 2
What does "ownership" in the military mean to the men (Billy, Roger, Richie, and Carlyle)? What do they own? Does someone "own" them? Why is ownership so important to each character? (Address each character and ownership individually.)
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of Richie's "tall tales." Discuss why you believe Richie tells the story. Is there any truth behind the story? Why do you think Richie feels he must stretch the truth?
-What goes on in war: snakes and elephant dung
-The story about his dad leaving and being on TV
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)