Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Rooney's (L.B.J.) MOS?
2. What does Roger claim will happen to Sarge (Rooney) within one year?
3. What is Richie's sexual orientation?
4. Roger asks Billy if he would rather fight a war in the freezing cold or one where there were "awful ....". Awful what?
5. According to the stage directions, how many lights hang at the center of the ceiling?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Richie mean by the "real Richie" is in Manhattan, and the other Richie is sitting in the Army reading a book?
2. Why does Billy have a problem with Carlyle turning off the lights in the bunk room?
3. Why does Carlyle think that he must teach Billy a lesson for throwing a shoe at him?
4. What does Carlyle mean when talking about "the black man's problem"?
5. Why does Carlyle get angry at Billy and Roger for keeping him and Richie apart?
6. Why does Carlyle speak in the third person when talking to Richie about his (Carlyle's) behavior the night he passed out on the bunk room floor?
7. Why does Richie agree with Billy in regard to saying that there is something wrong with Carlyle?
8. Explain the comparison Carlyle makes regarding "dealing trouble" and "smiling."
9. Why does Carlyle hate the Army?
10. Why is the fact that Roger smokes contradictory to his other behaviors?
Essay Topic 1
Choose a character from the following list. Write a character analysis including information including the answers to the following questions: Who are they as a person? What do they want in life? What are their strengths? What are their weaknesses?
Essay Topic 2
Roger claims that Richie never told him that he was a homosexual. Go back through the play and note all of Richie's references to his homosexuality. Once finished, choose one statement that could be a masked admittance to his homosexuality and one that is a blatant. Compare and contrast the meaning/understanding behind each of the statements.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Cokes and Rooney. Why do you believe they have the relationship that they do? What fuels their friendship? Would their friendship be the same if they had not served together?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)