Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Rooney's (L.B.J.) MOS?
2. What does Roger claim will happen to Sarge (Rooney) within one year?
3. What is Richie's sexual orientation?
4. Roger asks Billy if he would rather fight a war in the freezing cold or one where there were "awful ....". Awful what?
5. According to the stage directions, how many lights hang at the center of the ceiling?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Richie mean by the "real Richie" is in Manhattan, and the other Richie is sitting in the Army reading a book?
2. Why does Billy have a problem with Carlyle turning off the lights in the bunk room?
3. Why does Carlyle think that he must teach Billy a lesson for throwing a shoe at him?
4. What does Carlyle mean when talking about "the black man's problem"?
5. Why does Carlyle get angry at Billy and Roger for keeping him and Richie apart?
6. Why does Carlyle speak in the third person when talking to Richie about his (Carlyle's) behavior the night he passed out on the bunk room floor?
7. Why does Richie agree with Billy in regard to saying that there is something wrong with Carlyle?
8. Explain the comparison Carlyle makes regarding "dealing trouble" and "smiling."
9. Why does Carlyle hate the Army?
10. Why is the fact that Roger smokes contradictory to his other behaviors?
Discuss the tensions between Billy and Richie throughout the play. Why do the tensions exist for Billy? Why do the tensions exist for Richie? Are the tensions justified? Why/why not?
Explain the differences between Roger and Carlyle. Be sure to address their individual standpoints on the Army, homosexuality, race, and friendship.
Choose a character from the following list. Discuss whether or not you believe that character thinks/believes Richie is a homosexual. Be sure to discuss their conversations, behaviors, and the stage directions associated with any textual evidence that is deemed supportive of the decision.
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)