|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Cokes and Rooney are telling the men about their past, what do they say happened to O'Flannigan?
2. Why does Roger think Richie joined the Army?
3. How did Billy come to join the Army?
4. Since Rich missed dinner to take care of Richie, what does Billy bring him from the mess hall?
5. What is the one threat (as stated by the stage directions) that all of the men share?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Roger allow Richie to tell Cokes about what has happened to Rooney?
2. Why does Carlyle hate the Army?
3. Why did Roger continue to talk to Billy when they first met in P Company?
4. Why does Billy have a problem with Carlyle turning off the lights in the bunk room?
5. Why does Billy compare Carlyle to an animal?
6. Why is Billy so upset about grabbing a razor to cut Carlyle?
7. Why do Roger and Carlyle laugh at Richie when they leave to go to town?
8. Why does Carlyle speak in the third person when talking to Richie about his (Carlyle's) behavior the night he passed out on the bunk room floor?
9. Why does Richie make fun of Billy's vernacular?
10. At the end of the play, Cokes puts a lot of things into perspective for Roger and Richie. What does Cokes tell them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the division between the enlisted men (Billy, Roger, Richie, and Carlyle) and the officers (Rooney and Cokes). Which group seems to be more stable? Is this normal? Who would have gone further as a group? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Roger claims that Richie never told him that he was a homosexual. Go back through the play and note all of Richie's references to his homosexuality. Once finished, choose one statement that could be a masked admittance to his homosexuality and one that is a blatant. Compare and contrast the meaning/understanding behind each of the statements.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of Richie's "tall tales." Discuss why you believe Richie tells the story. Is there any truth behind the story? Why do you think Richie feels he must stretch the truth?
-What goes on in war: snakes and elephant dung
-The story about his dad leaving and being on TV
This section contains 1,793 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)