|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Roger think Richie joined the Army?
2. What did Cokes get the Silver Star for?
3. In Act 1, where does Richie invite Billy to go?
4. Why does Roger tell Carlyle that he got such a nice room in the Army?
5. What do Roger and Billy bring Carlyle while he is laying on the floor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Carlyle have a problem with the duty the Army has assigned him?
2. Why does Richie make fun of Billy's vernacular?
3. Why doesn't Roger allow Richie to tell Cokes about what has happened to Rooney?
4. What is a "streamer"?
5. What does Roger mean by the statement he makes regarding white men and Coppertone?
6. Why does Roger seem oblivious to the fact that Richie is a homosexual?
7. What changes regarding Carlyle's behavior when Richie closes the bunk room door because of "the draft"?
8. What does Carlyle mean when talking about "the black man's problem"?
9. What is ironic about Carlyle's attire going into town?
10. Why does Billy have a problem with Carlyle turning off the lights in the bunk room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the tensions between Billy and Richie throughout the play. Why do the tensions exist for Billy? Why do the tensions exist for Richie? Are the tensions justified? Why/why not?
Essay Topic 2
What does "ownership" in the military mean to the men (Billy, Roger, Richie, and Carlyle)? What do they own? Does someone "own" them? Why is ownership so important to each character? (Address each character and ownership individually.)
Essay Topic 3
Describe the division between the enlisted men (Billy, Roger, Richie, and Carlyle) and the officers (Rooney and Cokes). Which group seems to be more stable? Is this normal? Who would have gone further as a group? Why?
This section contains 1,716 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)