Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Rooney's (L.B.J.) MOS?
2. What does Roger claim will happen to Sarge (Rooney) within one year?
3. What is Richie's sexual orientation?
4. Roger asks Billy if he would rather fight a war in the freezing cold or one where there were "awful ....". Awful what?
5. According to the stage directions, how many lights hang at the center of the ceiling?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Richie mean by the "real Richie" is in Manhattan, and the other Richie is sitting in the Army reading a book?
2. Why does Billy have a problem with Carlyle turning off the lights in the bunk room?
3. Why does Carlyle think that he must teach Billy a lesson for throwing a shoe at him?
4. What does Carlyle mean when talking about "the black man's problem"?
5. Why does Carlyle get angry at Billy and Roger for keeping him and Richie apart?
6. Why does Carlyle speak in the third person when talking to Richie about his (Carlyle's) behavior the night he passed out on the bunk room floor?
7. Why does Richie agree with Billy in regard to saying that there is something wrong with Carlyle?
8. Explain the comparison Carlyle makes regarding "dealing trouble" and "smiling."
9. Why does Carlyle hate the Army?
10. Why is the fact that Roger smokes contradictory to his other behaviors?
Essay Topic 1
Of all of the men in the play, who do you believe will/could go the furthest in their military career? Why? What character traits make this character the most likely to succeed?
Essay Topic 2
From the following character list, choose a character and discuss that character's feelings regarding homosexuality. Be sure to address the following questions in your answer: Is the character accepting of homosexuality? Does the character like/accept Richie? Does this character cause problems for Richie (from a military aspect)? Does this character cause problems for Richie from a personal aspect?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the play, Billy repeatedly denies Richie's homosexuality. Why does Billy do this? What is Billy afraid of? Does Billy think that Richie is a threat? Be sure to use textual evidence to support your standpoint.
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)