|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the two black characters in the play?
2. What excuse does Carlyle make for his behavior (crawling on the floor)?
3. Why is Cokes sent home from battle?
4. How many bunks are on the stage at the opening of Act 1?
5. What does Roger get caught looking at in Richie's footlocker?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is wrong with the lieutenant's statement: "two perfectly trained and primed strong pieces of U.S. Army property cut to [expletive] up in here"?
2. Explain the comparison Carlyle makes regarding "dealing trouble" and "smiling."
3. What is ironic about Carlyle's attire going into town?
4. Why does Billy get so angry at Richie for thinking that he is "Frankie"?
5. Rooney makes a huge show about Cokes's boots. What makes Cokes's boots special?
6. What does Roger tell Billy he "better learn"?
7. Why do Roger and Carlyle laugh at Richie when they leave to go to town?
8. Why does Roger seem oblivious to the fact that Richie is a homosexual?
9. Why is the fact that Roger smokes contradictory to his other behaviors?
10. What is ironic about Rooney being a demolitions expert?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationship between Cokes and Rooney. Why do you believe they have the relationship that they do? What fuels their friendship? Would their friendship be the same if they had not served together?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the division between the enlisted men (Billy, Roger, Richie, and Carlyle) and the officers (Rooney and Cokes). Which group seems to be more stable? Is this normal? Who would have gone further as a group? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Choose from the following list a character and discuss the/any stereotypes related to the character. Be sure to address the following questions in the essay: Does the character fall into a typical stereotype? Why/Why not? How do they align with a particular stereotype? How do they stray from a particular stereotype? Do those around them see them as falling into a particular stereotype? Do they see themselves in alignment with a particular stereotype? Be sure to use textual evidence to support decisions.
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)