|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Act 1, what does Richie do to Carlyle to get Billy to yell at him?
2. In Act 1, where does Richie invite Billy to go?
3. In the beginning of Act 1, what does Martin tell Richie he does every morning when he wakes up?
4. What problem does Carlyle have with all of the officers in the Army?
5. As Cokes and Rooney are telling the men about their past, what do they say happened to O'Flannigan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Carlyle think that he must teach Billy a lesson for throwing a shoe at him?
2. Why does Carlyle speak in the third person when talking to Richie about his (Carlyle's) behavior the night he passed out on the bunk room floor?
3. Why does Carlyle get angry at Billy and Roger for keeping him and Richie apart?
4. Why is Richie afraid of the Vietcong and war?
5. Why does Billy have a problem with Carlyle turning off the lights in the bunk room?
6. What does Roger mean when he says to Billy, "every black man in the world ain't like me"?
7. What is the underlying fear that all of the men share? (Billy, Roger, Richie, and Carlyle)
8. As Billy, Roger and Richie are discussing going out, Richie calls going to a whorehouse "disgusting." Billy's replies to Richie with "look who's talking." What do both men mean?
9. Why does Carlyle claim that the Vietnam war is not their (Carlyle's and Roger's) war?
10. Why is the fact that Roger smokes contradictory to his other behaviors?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Cokes' reaction to finding out that Richie is a homosexual. What does Cokes say about Richie's homosexuality? Why is Cokes' answer ironic? What would one expect from Cokes given hie military ranking? Does Cokes' leukemia have anything to do with his reaction? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Of all of the men in the play, who do you believe will/could go the furthest in their military career? Why? What character traits make this character the most likely to succeed?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the tensions between Billy and Richie throughout the play. Why do the tensions exist for Billy? Why do the tensions exist for Richie? Are the tensions justified? Why/why not?
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)