|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Cokes get the Silver Star for?
2. Who does Billy claim is a beautiful screamer?
3. What does Roger claim will happen to Sarge (Rooney) within one year?
4. In the beginning of Act 1, what does Martin tell Richie he does every morning when he wakes up?
5. What does Carlyle pull out of his pocket after catching Roger in Richie's footlocker?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does "standing tall" mean to the men in the bunk room?
2. Why does Billy have a problem with Carlyle turning off the lights in the bunk room?
3. Explain the joke that Carlyle tells after Richie storms out of the bunk room because Carlyle accuses him of "kissing his joint."
4. Why does Billy have such a hard time with the sexual relationship that Carlyle and Richie are alluding to happening in the bunk house and not somewhere else?
5. Why does Carlyle think that he must teach Billy a lesson for throwing a shoe at him?
6. Why does Billy get so angry at Richie for thinking that he is "Frankie"?
7. Why does Carlyle hate the Army?
8. Why does Richie make fun of Billy's vernacular?
9. What is symbolic about Cokes saying the the man in the spider hole was "singing it"?
10. Why does Roger believe that just because you tried it (homosexual activity) doesn't make one a homosexual?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Roger claims that Richie never told him that he was a homosexual. Go back through the play and note all of Richie's references to his homosexuality. Once finished, choose one statement that could be a masked admittance to his homosexuality and one that is a blatant. Compare and contrast the meaning/understanding behind each of the statements.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of Richie's "tall tales." Discuss why you believe Richie tells the story. Is there any truth behind the story? Why do you think Richie feels he must stretch the truth?
-What goes on in war: snakes and elephant dung
-The story about his dad leaving and being on TV
Essay Topic 3
Of all of the men in the play, who do you believe will/could go the furthest in their military career? Why? What character traits make this character the most likely to succeed?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)