|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Billy claim is a beautiful screamer?
2. What happened to Cokes when he ran over a spider hole while in battle?
3. While recalling events from his hometown, what does Roger tell the others happened to the man in the phone booth?
4. Why does Carlyle refuse to get off of the floor and into bed?
5. What is Rooney's nickname for Cokes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Richie mean by the "real Richie" is in Manhattan, and the other Richie is sitting in the Army reading a book?
2. Why does the lieutenant's actions towards Roger speak to the stereotypical assumptions regarding the crime scene?
3. Why does Carlyle claim that the Vietnam war is not their (Carlyle's and Roger's) war?
4. Why does Billy say that he would rather face "freezin' cold" than snakes?
5. What is the significance of Billy shutting the door at the end of Act 2, Scene 1?
6. Why does Billy get so angry at Richie for thinking that he is "Frankie"?
7. Why is Richie afraid of the Vietcong and war?
8. Why does Carlyle speak in the third person when talking to Richie about his (Carlyle's) behavior the night he passed out on the bunk room floor?
9. What does Roger mean by the statement he makes regarding white men and Coppertone?
10. What is a "streamer"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
All of the men (Billy, Roger, Richie, and Carlyle) are afraid of war. Choose one character and define their fear of war using textual evidence while explaining the reasoning behind the fears.
Essay Topic 2
What does Carlyle mean when he says, "it has been a long damn time...you ain't gonna put a stop to it," to Billy? What is Carlyle talking about? Could there be a hidden meaning to this statement? Be sure to use textual evidence to support.
Essay Topic 3
Choose a pairing from the following list. Discuss the friendship in depth. Be sure to address the following questions in the essay: What is the friendship based upon? What are the strengths in the friendship? What are the weakness of the friendship? Is the friendship "typical"? Why/ why not? Be sure to use textual evidence to support the answers.
-Billy and Roger
-Roger and Carlyle
-Billy and Richie (if you see a friendship)
-Cokes and Rooney
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)