|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Roger get caught looking at in Richie's footlocker?
2. What object is at the foot of each of the bunks?
3. Why is Cokes sent home from battle?
4. Because of O'Flannigan's accident, what song was he unable to sing?
5. According to Cokes, what makes the "gooks" yellow?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a "streamer"?
2. Why does Carlyle have a problem with the duty the Army has assigned him?
3. Why does Carlyle think that he must teach Billy a lesson for throwing a shoe at him?
4. Why did Roger continue to talk to Billy when they first met in P Company?
5. Why doesn't Roger allow Richie to tell Cokes about what has happened to Rooney?
6. Why does Martin try to commit suicide?
7. Why does Billy have a problem with Carlyle turning off the lights in the bunk room?
8. What is symbolic about Cokes saying the the man in the spider hole was "singing it"?
9. Why does Richie agree with Billy in regard to saying that there is something wrong with Carlyle?
10. Explain the comparison Carlyle makes regarding "dealing trouble" and "smiling."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does "ownership" in the military mean to the men (Billy, Roger, Richie, and Carlyle)? What do they own? Does someone "own" them? Why is ownership so important to each character? (Address each character and ownership individually.)
Essay Topic 2
Explain the differences between Roger and Carlyle. Be sure to address their individual standpoints on the Army, homosexuality, race, and friendship.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of Richie's "tall tales." Discuss why you believe Richie tells the story. Is there any truth behind the story? Why do you think Richie feels he must stretch the truth?
-What goes on in war: snakes and elephant dung
-The story about his dad leaving and being on TV
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)