|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Richie finish the following statement: "cleanliness is ....."?
2. As Billy and Roger contemplate Carlyle's enlistment into the Army, why does Billy claim Carlyle is in the Army?
3. Why does Richie believe the suicide attempt was made?
4. How many years does Martin have left to serve in the military?
5. In Act 1, where does Richie invite Billy to go?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Carlyle jealous of Billy, Richie, and Roger?
2. What is the underlying fear that all of the men share? (Billy, Roger, Richie, and Carlyle)
3. Why does Richie become stunned at Billy's comment: "that you go down; that you go up and down like a Yo-yo and you go blowin' all the trees like the wind?"
4. Why does Carlyle hate the Army?
5. Why doesn't Roger allow Richie to tell Cokes about what has happened to Rooney?
6. Why does Billy have a problem with Carlyle turning off the lights in the bunk room?
7. Why does Roger try to talk Billy into going into town while leaving Richie out of the conversation?
8. Although Carlyle tells Richie when they are alone in the bunk room that all he wants to do is talk, Richie does not believe him. What does Richie believe that Carlyle wants?
9. Why does the lieutenant's actions towards Roger speak to the stereotypical assumptions regarding the crime scene?
10. Why does Richie agree with Billy in regard to saying that there is something wrong with Carlyle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From the following character list, choose a character and discuss that character's feelings regarding homosexuality. Be sure to address the following questions in your answer: Is the character accepting of homosexuality? Does the character like/accept Richie? Does this character cause problems for Richie (from a military aspect)? Does this character cause problems for Richie from a personal aspect?
Essay Topic 2
Choose a character from the following list. Write a character analysis including information including the answers to the following questions: Who are they as a person? What do they want in life? What are their strengths? What are their weaknesses?
Essay Topic 3
Roger claims that Richie never told him that he was a homosexual. Go back through the play and note all of Richie's references to his homosexuality. Once finished, choose one statement that could be a masked admittance to his homosexuality and one that is a blatant. Compare and contrast the meaning/understanding behind each of the statements.
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)