|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Rooney's nickname for Cokes?
2. What did Cokes get the Silver Star for?
3. What is Richie's sexual orientation?
4. What did Cokes do to the man in the spider hole?
5. Who are the two black characters in the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Roger seem oblivious to the fact that Richie is a homosexual?
2. Why did Roger continue to talk to Billy when they first met in P Company?
3. At the end of the play, Cokes puts a lot of things into perspective for Roger and Richie. What does Cokes tell them?
4. Why does Carlyle call Roger a "Tom"?
5. Why does Billy believe himself to be a busybody?
6. Why does the lieutenant's actions towards Roger speak to the stereotypical assumptions regarding the crime scene?
7. Why do Roger and Carlyle laugh at Richie when they leave to go to town?
8. Although Carlyle tells Richie when they are alone in the bunk room that all he wants to do is talk, Richie does not believe him. What does Richie believe that Carlyle wants?
9. Why does Billy compare Carlyle to an animal?
10. What is symbolic about Cokes saying the the man in the spider hole was "singing it"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Carlyle mean when he says, "it has been a long damn time...you ain't gonna put a stop to it," to Billy? What is Carlyle talking about? Could there be a hidden meaning to this statement? Be sure to use textual evidence to support.
Essay Topic 2
Choose a character from the following list. Write a character analysis including information including the answers to the following questions: Who are they as a person? What do they want in life? What are their strengths? What are their weaknesses?
Essay Topic 3
Of all of the men in the play, who do you believe will/could go the furthest in their military career? Why? What character traits make this character the most likely to succeed?
This section contains 1,682 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)