|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Roger claim will happen to Sarge (Rooney) within one year?
(a) He will drink himself to death.
(b) He will be dishonorably discharged.
(c) He will die in action in the war.
(d) He will blow himself up.
2. What kind of powder does Richie use for his rashes?
(a) Baking powder.
(b) Foot powder.
(c) Baby powder.
(d) Army issue medicated powder.
3. How did Martin and Richie come to be in the military?
(a) It is judges orders to avoid jail time.
(b) They enlisted.
(c) They were drafted.
(d) It is part of time off for good behavior from jail.
4. According to Cokes's and Rooney's song, what must a paratrooper count to before pulling the cord to his shoot?
5. What is the one threat (as stated by the stage directions) that all of the men share?
(a) Losing a limb.
(c) The war.
Short Answer Questions
1. Since Rich missed dinner to take care of Richie, what does Billy bring him from the mess hall?
2. How are Cokes's boots different from everyone else's?
3. Who are the two black characters in the play?
4. How many years does Martin have left to serve in the military?
5. While recalling events from his hometown, what does Roger tell the others happened to the man in the phone booth?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Carlyle speak in the third person when talking to Richie about his (Carlyle's) behavior the night he passed out on the bunk room floor?
2. Explain the joke that Carlyle tells after Richie storms out of the bunk room because Carlyle accuses him of "kissing his joint."
3. What is ironic about Carlyle's attire going into town?
4. What does "standing tall" mean to the men in the bunk room?
5. What is the underlying fear that all of the men share? (Billy, Roger, Richie, and Carlyle)
6. What does Roger mean when he says to Billy, "every black man in the world ain't like me"?
7. At the end of the play, Cokes puts a lot of things into perspective for Roger and Richie. What does Cokes tell them?
8. What is Carlyle's problem with education?
9. Why does Roger believe that just because you tried it (homosexual activity) doesn't make one a homosexual?
10. Why does Roger try to talk Billy into going into town while leaving Richie out of the conversation?
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)