|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Cokes claim he has been falling down a lot?
(a) From leukemia.
(b) From dizzy spells.
(c) From PTSD.
(d) From drinking.
2. What is the one threat (as stated by the stage directions) that all of the men share?
(c) The war.
(d) Losing a limb.
3. As Cokes and Rooney are telling the men about their past, what do they say happened to O'Flannigan?
(a) He did not pack his shoot properly, and it did not deploy.
(b) During a jump gone bad, he broke both of his legs and the Army sent him home.
(c) He pulled the shoot release at 500 feet and died.
(d) He turned on his fellow soliders, and they pushed him out of a plane.
4. Why does Richie think that Roger would understand problems associated with being homosexual?
(a) Because Roger has secrets comparable to hiding one's sexual orientation.
(b) Because Richie believes that Roger is a homosexual and just not telling anyone.
(c) Because Richie states that blacks are supposed to be understanding about human struggles.
(d) Because Roger's brother is homosexual, and Roger should be understanding.
5. Which character discusses the attempted suicide with the character who tried to slit his wrists?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Cokes when he ran over a spider hole while in battle?
2. What is Richie's sexual orientation?
3. According to the stage directions, how many lights hang at the center of the ceiling?
4. How many people from Billy's platoon are going to Vietnam?
5. Why does Carlyle refuse to get off of the floor and into bed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Carlyle mean when talking about "the black man's problem"?
2. Why does Richie think that Roger would understand the problems associated with being homosexual?
3. Explain the comparison Carlyle makes regarding "dealing trouble" and "smiling."
4. Explain the hidden meaning behind Carlyle's comment: "it is dark in the night. Black man got a black body--he disappear."
5. What happened when Billy was sixteen that made him want to become a priest?
6. Why does Carlyle call Roger a "Tom"?
7. What does "standing tall" mean to the men in the bunk room?
8. Roger tells Carlyle, "we both tole you it ain't goin' on here." What does this mean?
9. What is ironic about Rooney being a demolitions expert?
10. Although Carlyle tells Richie when they are alone in the bunk room that all he wants to do is talk, Richie does not believe him. What does Richie believe that Carlyle wants?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)