|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Roger tell Carlyle that he got such a nice room in the Army?
(a) Because of good behavior.
(b) Because of his relationship with the master sergent.
(c) Because he paid off the bunk officer.
(d) Because he is a Spec 4.
2. What did Cokes do to the man in the spider hole?
(a) Nothing, he was taken by a medic back to the camp.
(b) Threw the contents from his latrine down the hole onto the man.
(c) Threw in a gernade, sat on the lid, and waited for it to blow.
(d) Aimed his rifle down the hole and opened fire.
3. What excuse does Carlyle make for his behavior (crawling on the floor)?
(a) Carlyle does not give an excuse.
(b) Carlyle says he has lost his mind.
(c) Carlyle states that he is drunk.
(d) Carlyle states he is afraid of dying and acting like a child makes him feel better.
4. As Billy and Roger contemplate Carlyle's enlistment into the Army, why does Billy claim Carlyle is in the Army?
(a) Billy claims it is only because of the court order.
(b) Billy claims it is a deathwish.
(c) Billy claims it is because of Freedom's Frontier.
(d) Billy claims it is to finally become someone to be proud of.
5. How many years does Martin have left to serve in the military?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people from Billy's platoon are going to Vietnam?
2. Since Rich missed dinner to take care of Richie, what does Billy bring him from the mess hall?
3. While recalling events from his hometown, what does Roger tell the others happened to the man in the phone booth?
4. As Billy, Roger, and Richie are getting finishing up the floors, Roger gets out a radio. What song are they listening to?
5. How did Billy come to join the Army?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the murders, Roger has not changed in regard to his obsession. What does Roger do after everyone but he and Richie have left?
2. Why does Richie agree with Billy in regard to saying that there is something wrong with Carlyle?
3. Why doesn't Roger allow Richie to tell Cokes about what has happened to Rooney?
4. Why does Carlyle speak in the third person when talking to Richie about his (Carlyle's) behavior the night he passed out on the bunk room floor?
5. Why does Roger try to talk Billy into going into town while leaving Richie out of the conversation?
6. After Carlyle is cuffed, why does Carlye think that the lieutenant and MPs have no right to tell him what to do?
7. Why does the lieutenant's actions towards Roger speak to the stereotypical assumptions regarding the crime scene?
8. Explain the comparison Carlyle makes regarding "dealing trouble" and "smiling."
9. What is symbolic about Cokes saying the the man in the spider hole was "singing it"?
10. What action does Richie make to cause Billy to realize what is about to happen between him (Richie) and Carlyle?
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)