|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Rooney's nickname for Cokes?
2. Who does Billy claim is a beautiful screamer?
3. What does Roger claim will happen to Sarge (Rooney) within one year?
(a) He will die in action in the war.
(b) He will be dishonorably discharged.
(c) He will drink himself to death.
(d) He will blow himself up.
4. What kind of powder does Richie use for his rashes?
(a) Baby powder.
(b) Army issue medicated powder.
(c) Foot powder.
(d) Baking powder.
5. Why does Roger tell Carlyle that he got such a nice room in the Army?
(a) Because he is a Spec 4.
(b) Because of good behavior.
(c) Because of his relationship with the master sergent.
(d) Because he paid off the bunk officer.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 1, where does Richie invite Billy to go?
2. According to Cokes's and Rooney's song, what must a paratrooper count to before pulling the cord to his shoot?
3. Who are the two black characters in the play?
4. What division of the Army have Rooney and Cokes been in together?
5. What character tries to slit his wrists in a suicide attempt?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Billy finally levels with Richie about the flirting, what does he say?
2. What is symbolic about Cokes saying the the man in the spider hole was "singing it"?
3. Why does Carlyle call Roger a "Tom"?
4. What is the significance of Billy shutting the door at the end of Act 2, Scene 1?
5. What does Roger mean by the statement he makes regarding white men and Coppertone?
6. Why does Carlyle hate the Army?
7. Why does Carlyle claim that the Vietnam war is not their (Carlyle's and Roger's) war?
8. Explain the sexual innuendos that Richie makes regarding Billy and Roger's workout.
9. Explain the hidden meaning behind Carlyle's comment: "it is dark in the night. Black man got a black body--he disappear."
10. After Carlyle is cuffed, why does Carlye think that the lieutenant and MPs have no right to tell him what to do?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)