|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of powder does Richie use for his rashes?
(a) Baby powder.
(b) Baking powder.
(c) Foot powder.
(d) Army issue medicated powder.
2. How did Billy come to join the Army?
(a) Time off for good behavior from jail.
(d) Part of judges orders.
3. What character tries to slit his wrists in a suicide attempt?
4. How does Richie finish the following statement: "cleanliness is ....."?
5. What excuse does Carlyle make for his behavior (crawling on the floor)?
(a) Carlyle says he has lost his mind.
(b) Carlyle states that he is drunk.
(c) Carlyle does not give an excuse.
(d) Carlyle states he is afraid of dying and acting like a child makes him feel better.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Billy threaten Richie while they are mopping the bunks?
2. Why does Roger want to stay at the barracks instead of going downtown with Carlyle?
3. Which character discusses the attempted suicide with the character who tried to slit his wrists?
4. According to the stage directions, what color are the shades that cover the lights?
5. As Billy and Roger contemplate Carlyle's enlistment into the Army, why does Billy claim Carlyle is in the Army?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Carlyle is cuffed, why does Carlye think that the lieutenant and MPs have no right to tell him what to do?
2. What is the significance of Billy shutting the door at the end of Act 2, Scene 1?
3. Explain the comparison Carlyle makes regarding "dealing trouble" and "smiling."
4. Explain the joke that Carlyle tells after Richie storms out of the bunk room because Carlyle accuses him of "kissing his joint."
5. At the end of the play, Cokes puts a lot of things into perspective for Roger and Richie. What does Cokes tell them?
6. As Billy, Roger and Richie are discussing going out, Richie calls going to a whorehouse "disgusting." Billy's replies to Richie with "look who's talking." What do both men mean?
7. What does Roger tell Billy he "better learn"?
8. Why does Carlyle call Roger a "Tom"?
9. What is ironic about Rooney being a demolitions expert?
10. Why does Billy say that he would rather face "freezin' cold" than snakes?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)