|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Billy and Roger contemplate Carlyle's enlistment into the Army, why does Billy claim Carlyle is in the Army?
(a) Billy claims it is to finally become someone to be proud of.
(b) Billy claims it is a deathwish.
(c) Billy claims it is only because of the court order.
(d) Billy claims it is because of Freedom's Frontier.
2. What excuse does Carlyle make for his behavior (crawling on the floor)?
(a) Carlyle says he has lost his mind.
(b) Carlyle states he is afraid of dying and acting like a child makes him feel better.
(c) Carlyle does not give an excuse.
(d) Carlyle states that he is drunk.
3. Which character discusses the attempted suicide with the character who tried to slit his wrists?
4. According to Cokes, what makes the "gooks" yellow?
(a) Yellow fever as children.
(b) Old booze and urinating in the water supply.
(c) Too much beer.
5. According to the stage directions, what song begins playing at the end of Act 1?
(a) The National Anthem.
(b) A funeral march.
(c) The Star-Spangled Banner.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Cokes's and Rooney's song, what must a paratrooper count to before pulling the cord to his shoot?
2. As Roger is finishing up the mopping, what do Cokes and Rooney carry into the room?
3. Why is Cokes sent home from battle?
4. What does Roger get caught looking at in Richie's footlocker?
5. At the end of Act 1, what does Richie do to Carlyle to get Billy to yell at him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does "standing tall" mean to the men in the bunk room?
2. Why does Billy have a problem with Carlyle turning off the lights in the bunk room?
3. Why does Richie become stunned at Billy's comment: "that you go down; that you go up and down like a Yo-yo and you go blowin' all the trees like the wind?"
4. What action does Richie make to cause Billy to realize what is about to happen between him (Richie) and Carlyle?
5. Why do Roger and Carlyle laugh at Richie when they leave to go to town?
6. Why did Roger continue to talk to Billy when they first met in P Company?
7. What is the underlying fear that all of the men share? (Billy, Roger, Richie, and Carlyle)
8. Rooney makes a huge show about Cokes's boots. What makes Cokes's boots special?
9. What is Carlyle's problem with education?
10. What changes regarding Carlyle's behavior when Richie closes the bunk room door because of "the draft"?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)