|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What problem does Carlyle have with all of the officers in the Army?
(a) They are all white.
(b) They all have college educations.
(c) They all come from wealthy families.
(d) They are all black.
2. Why does Carlyle refuse to get off of the floor and into bed?
(a) Carlyle says he cannot find his bed; it is gone.
(b) Carlyle says he cannot walk because of his broken ankle.
(c) Carlyle is afraid Richie will get into bed with him.
(d) Carlyle is afraid of his bed.
3. At the end of Act 1, what does Richie do to Carlyle to get Billy to yell at him?
(a) Richie kisses Carlyle.
(b) Richie lies down beside Carlyle.
(c) Richie kicks Carlyle.
(d) Richie covers up Carlyle and pats his arm.
4. After lights out, why does Carlyle say he is crawling on the floor?
(a) He is pretending he is at war and crawling through rice paddies.
(b) Carlyle says he is practicing his duties: "the low crawl."
(c) He has gone mad and reverted to child-like behaviors.
(d) He has found a mouse and is following it home.
5. How many people from Billy's platoon are going to Vietnam?
6. Why does Richie believe the suicide attempt was made?
(a) To get out of the military.
(b) For attention.
(c) To really cause death.
(d) For a diagnosis of mental illness.
7. Why does Billy threaten Richie while they are mopping the bunks?
(a) Because he is afraid Richie will tell the Army he is homosexual.
(b) Because Richie is not working hard enough.
(c) Because Richie keeps making advances towards him (flirting).
(d) Because Billy caught Richie smoking pot.
8. How did Billy come to join the Army?
(b) Part of judges orders.
(c) Time off for good behavior from jail.
9. After Richie leaves to take a shower, what do Billy and Roger decide to do?
(a) Go shower.
(b) Mop and buff the floor.
(c) Look at a Playboy.
(d) Go find Martin.
10. What does Roger claim will happen to Sarge (Rooney) within one year?
(a) He will die in action in the war.
(b) He will drink himself to death.
(c) He will blow himself up.
(d) He will be dishonorably discharged.
11. What happens to Cokes after he and Rooney finish singing their song?
(a) Cokes passes out and dies.
(b) Cokes kisses Richie.
(c) Cokes falls on his face.
(d) Cokes punches Billy.
12. As Billy, Roger, and Richie are getting finishing up the floors, Roger gets out a radio. What song are they listening to?
(a) "Ruby," by Ray Charles.
(b) "It's Now or Never," by Elvis Presley.
(c) "Solider Boy," by The Shirelles.
(d) "The Twist," by Chubby Checker.
13. Roger asks Billy if he would rather fight a war in the freezing cold or one where there were "awful ....". Awful what?
(d) Living quarters.
14. How are Cokes's boots different from everyone else's?
(a) Cokes's boots have a bullet hole in them.
(b) Cokes does not wear boots; he wears dress shoes.
(c) Cokes wears jungle boots.
(d) Cokes's boots are brown.
15. Why does Richie think that Roger would understand problems associated with being homosexual?
(a) Because Roger has secrets comparable to hiding one's sexual orientation.
(b) Because Richie states that blacks are supposed to be understanding about human struggles.
(c) Because Roger's brother is homosexual, and Roger should be understanding.
(d) Because Richie believes that Roger is a homosexual and just not telling anyone.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Cokes, what makes the "gooks" yellow?
2. Who are the two black characters in the play?
3. What is Rooney's nickname for Cokes?
4. In Act 1, where does Richie invite Billy to go?
5. What did Cokes do to the man in the spider hole?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)