|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What problem does Carlyle have with all of the officers in the Army?
(a) They all have college educations.
(b) They are all black.
(c) They are all white.
(d) They all come from wealthy families.
2. After lights out, why does Carlyle say he is crawling on the floor?
(a) He is pretending he is at war and crawling through rice paddies.
(b) Carlyle says he is practicing his duties: "the low crawl."
(c) He has found a mouse and is following it home.
(d) He has gone mad and reverted to child-like behaviors.
3. According to the stage directions, how many lights hang at the center of the ceiling?
4. When discussing the war with Richie, who does Roger claim everyone is saying is the new "Hitler"?
(c) Ho Chi Minh.
(d) The president.
5. Roger asks Billy if he would rather fight a war in the freezing cold or one where there were "awful ....". Awful what?
(a) Living quarters.
6. As Roger is finishing up the mopping, what do Cokes and Rooney carry into the room?
(b) More mops.
(c) Whiskey and beer bottles.
(d) The mail.
7. Because of O'Flannigan's accident, what song was he unable to sing?
(b) Beautiful Screamers.
(c) Beautiful Streamers.
8. In the beginning of Act 1, what does Martin tell Richie he does every morning when he wakes up?
(d) Tries to sneak out.
9. Why does it seem impossible for Rooney to be competent in his MOS?
(a) He is too easily stressed.
(b) His eyesight is bad.
(c) He has had two heart attacks.
(d) His hands shake too much.
10. Since Rich missed dinner to take care of Richie, what does Billy bring him from the mess hall?
(a) A piece of pie.
(b) An apple.
(c) Beef jerky.
(d) A sandwich.
11. Who are the two black characters in the play?
(a) Carlyle and Roger.
(b) Billy and Martin.
(c) Roger and Clark.
(d) Clark and Billy.
12. What is Rooney's nickname for Cokes?
13. How did Billy come to join the Army?
(c) Part of judges orders.
(d) Time off for good behavior from jail.
14. Which character discusses the attempted suicide with the character who tried to slit his wrists?
15. Why does Carlyle refuse to get off of the floor and into bed?
(a) Carlyle says he cannot walk because of his broken ankle.
(b) Carlyle is afraid Richie will get into bed with him.
(c) Carlyle says he cannot find his bed; it is gone.
(d) Carlyle is afraid of his bed.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years does Martin have left to serve in the military?
2. While recalling events from his hometown, what does Roger tell the others happened to the man in the phone booth?
3. According to the stage directions, what song begins playing at the end of Act 1?
4. What excuse does Carlyle make for his behavior (crawling on the floor)?
5. At the end of Act 1, what does Richie do to Carlyle to get Billy to yell at him?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)