|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How were Arab nations vulnerable during the First World War?
(a) They could not afford much loss of manpower.
(b) They had almost no communication or chain of command.
(c) They had no real firearms.
(d) Their supplies were extremely limited.
2. In the First World War, what was Italy's diplomatic status?
(a) It remained neutral, but was invaded by both Austria and France.
(b) It successfully remained neutral throughout the war.
(c) It was allied with France and England.
(d) It was allied with Austria and Hungary.
3. In World War II, what new branch of military technology provided enhanced mobility for soldiers?
(b) Transport ships.
(c) Landing craft.
4. What tactic, employed by generals as early as Belisarius, was widely used in World War II?
(a) Overlapping fields of fire.
(c) Human wave attacks.
5. How did Hitler's military achievements match up against those of Napoleon's?
(a) He matched Napoleon's achievements.
(b) He far exceeded Napoleon's accomplishments.
(c) Hitler's accomplishments were very different from Napoleon's.
(d) He did not come close to matching Napoleon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Turkey's strategies are most similar to those of what military leader?
2. About how many Russian soldiers died on the eastern front during the First World War?
3. What is the purpose of strategy?
4. How did Hitler secure the loyalty of the commanders serving under him?
5. The common and imprecise interpretation of Clausewitz's writings was that victory could achieved by having a majority of which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. What challenge did Germany face in fighting in Russian territory?
2. What were the results and casualty rates on the Southeastern and Mediterranean fronts during the First World War?
3. How did Hitler gain the loyalty and trust of his subordinates?
4. What was the problem with Clausewitz's writings, and why did they have a negative impact on the first World War?
5. How does the nature and purpose of strategy relate to people's unwillingness to be convinced of a point contrary to their own beliefs?
6. Explain the relationships between grand strategy, strategy and tactics.
7. What were the strengths and vulnerabilities of the Turks and the Arabs during the First World War?
8. What was unusual about Hitler's preparations for war?
9. Describe the strategies used by the Turks during the First World War.
10. According to the author, what were some motivating factors behind writing this book?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)