|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With regards to bloodless victories and attacks against targets other than human lives, the author states which of the following?
(a) These strategies are equally valid or more valid than direct combat.
(b) These results are impossible to achieve.
(c) Strategy should only include these factors.
(d) These results can only be obtained through high mobility.
2. Turkey's strategies are most similar to those of what military leader?
(b) Constable du Guesclin.
3. Which nation did Russia decide to focus their efforts on first?
4. According to the author, what type of government is least capable of creating ideal generals?
5. Lawrence frequently utilized which strategy?
(b) Wedge attacks.
(d) Trapping forces by dependency.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Limited aim" strategy generally precludes what type of outcome?
2. In World War II, what new branch of military technology provided enhanced mobility for soldiers?
3. Which of the following outcomes is NOT specifically mentioned as being important to plan for?
4. Forces are usually drawn into the "horns of a dilemma" in what way?
5. What bias are generals likely to carry during war councils?
Short Essay Questions
1. How successful was Germany's expansion during the early parts of World War II? Why was this expansion eventually halted and reversed?
2. How did Hitler gain the loyalty and trust of his subordinates?
3. What are the important strategic differences between large and small armies.
4. What is a wedge attack, what is it used for and how is it countered?
5. What challenge did Germany face in fighting in Russian territory?
6. According to the author, what were some motivating factors behind writing this book?
7. How did Hitler's study of Napoleon negatively influence him?
8. How does the nature and purpose of strategy relate to people's unwillingness to be convinced of a point contrary to their own beliefs?
9. Explain the relationships between grand strategy, strategy and tactics.
10. What was the state of strategy and tactics on the eastern front during the First World War?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)