|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the Emperor of the Western Roman Empire during Belisarius's time?
2. What is true regarding decisive victories?
(a) They can be rapid, or can take decades or longer to achieve.
(b) They always occur suddenly and often unexpectedly.
(c) They can only be won by indirect methods.
(d) They are independant of any gains made.
3. Why did many European principalities fail to become strong, united nations?
(a) There was insufficient technology to support a large state.
(b) Individual princes were unwilling to give up their power.
(c) Constant bickering drove them apart.
(d) The philosophy and religion of the time discouraged it.
4. Marlborough was notable for his use of what stratagems?
(a) Concentrated fire.
(b) Indirect manuevers.
(c) Tactical withdrawls.
(d) Bold frontal attacks.
5. According to the author, which of the following strategies have been known and used by intelligent generals dating back to ancient times?
(a) Building fortifications.
(b) Concentration of forces.
(c) Avoiding bloodshed and battles.
(d) False retreats.
Short Answer Questions
1. A "pincer movement" involves what kind of strategic maneuver?
2. Which war demonstrated the risks of using a largely unprofessional force?
3. Which of the following elements is NOT described as being part of the "center" of a country's military power?
4. According to the author, what nation first employed military strategy in Europe?
5. What events caused France to become a united nation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Varro chosen to replace Fabius?
2. What were the strategies of the French and Germans during the First World War?
3. What were European nations like during the era of the Wars of Spanish Succession?
4. What is a "natural line of expectation"?
5. Describe the nature of the Wars of Spanish Succession. What kinds of strategies were used, and what was unique about these wars?
6. Why are decisive results important in warfare?
7. How did Constable du Geusclin overcome English technological superiority?
8. Describe the changes that took place in France that led to Napoleon becoming ruler of that nation.
9. What instigated the Byzantine war against the Vandals?
10. Describe some of Belisarius's conquests.
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)