|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following was a significant factor in the psychology of generals during World War II?
(a) Their national character.
(b) Their education.
(c) Their desire for promotion.
(d) Their extraordinary need for recognition.
2. Which war did Clausewitz's writings have a major impact on?
(a) World War I.
(b) The American Civil War.
(c) World War II.
(d) The Crimean War.
3. The common and imprecise interpretation of Clausewitz's writings was that victory could achieved by having a majority of which of the following?
(a) Trained generals.
(b) Soldiers and supplies.
(c) Railways, factories and major cities.
(d) Public support.
4. Which of the following did Clausewitz see himself as?
(a) A statesman.
(b) A philosopher.
(c) A scientist.
(d) A diplomat.
5. How were Arab nations vulnerable during the First World War?
(a) They could not afford much loss of manpower.
(b) They had almost no communication or chain of command.
(c) Their supplies were extremely limited.
(d) They had no real firearms.
6. What was England's primary strength throughout the First World War?
(a) Its army.
(b) Its tanks.
(c) Its navy.
(d) Its airforce.
7. Clausewitz himself admitted that his books had what flaw?
(a) They were too complicated for most students of warfare.
(b) Some of them were written by other people.
(c) They were not complete.
(d) They were outdated.
8. In the author's view, a battle that results in massive casualties and the temporary gain of an objective is best described as which of the following?
(a) A disaster.
(b) An indecisive result.
(c) An indirect method.
(d) A decisive result.
9. How did Hitler's military achievements match up against those of Napoleon's?
(a) He did not come close to matching Napoleon.
(b) Hitler's accomplishments were very different from Napoleon's.
(c) He far exceeded Napoleon's accomplishments.
(d) He matched Napoleon's achievements.
10. Which important development did Clausewitz overlook in his books?
(a) Secret treaties.
(c) The machine-gun.
(d) Rifled weapons.
11. What was one way that Hitler gained political ascendancy in Germany?
(a) By exploiting in-fighting.
(b) By paying out welfare whenever possible.
(c) By cutting down on corruption.
(d) By expelling foreigners.
12. Hitler missed an excellent opportunity to wipe out the English army in what region?
13. Communications are most critical for forces of what size?
14. Which of the following historical commanders did NOT enjoy supreme power in both military and political matters, as did Hitler?
15. Germany's expansion forced what undesirable condition on it?
(a) Communications became impossible.
(b) It had too few usable ports.
(c) It had no allies nearby.
(d) It was fighting at maximum effort on two fronts.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was an important use of air-power in World War II?
2. What is meant by "strength faces strength"?
3. In general, what was the state of mobility during World War II?
4. In general, the Germans avoided what strategic mistake?
5. What is the most essential factor in concentrating forces?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)