|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Seventeenth Century- Gustavas, Cromwell, Turenne.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following was a widely-used tactic in William of Normandy's time?
(a) False retreats.
(b) Layered defenses.
(c) Wave attacks.
(d) Artillery bombardment.
2. What was the state of generalship during the British Civil Wars?
(a) British generals far outmatched those of other forces.
(b) Generals were unskilled politicians.
(c) Generals were skilled and evenly matched.
(d) The skills of generals on all sides varied widely.
3. In addition to the physical gains, why did Fabius employ his brand of warfare?
(a) For pyschological effect.
(b) To wear down his opponent's strength.
(c) In order to pillage territories more effectively.
(d) For pure fame and glory.
4. Which of the following elements is NOT described as being part of the "center" of a country's military power?
5. When an enemy is attacked along a "natural line of expectation," what is the usual result?
(a) The enemy will not be able to counter effectively.
(b) The enemy will not be prepared for the attack.
(c) The enemy has a high chance of resisting the attack.
(d) The enemy's strength will be worn down.
Short Answer Questions
1. Like Caesar, Belisarius was able to achieve victory in what way?
2. What was Belisarius's first major reconquest?
3. According to the author, which of the following strategies have been known and used by intelligent generals dating back to ancient times?
4. According to the indirect approach, military strategy needs to include plans to attack in what manner?
5. Who was the Emperor of the Western Roman Empire during Belisarius's time?
This section contains 289 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)