|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Takaki assert people think about America's population?
(a) That the population is Asian.
(b) That the population is diverse.
(c) That America is a melting pot.
(d) That the population is white.
2. Who signed a law prohibiting Japanese from migrating from Hawaii to the mainland?
(a) President Nixon.
(b) President Kennedy.
(c) President Roosevelt.
(d) President Ford.
3. What jobs did female Chinese immigrants hold according to Chapter 3?
(d) Housekeepers and prostitutes.
4. What emotion did the picture brides feel when they met their husbands?
(a) Disappointment .
5. What does diversity in the work place accomplish according to Chapter 2?
(a) It makes a positive work environment.
(b) It prevents one block of immigrants from becoming too powerful.
(c) The bosses experience multiple cultures.
(d) It provides an educational experience.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were Chinese immigrants subjected to by American citizens, according to Chapter 3?
2. In what year did the plantations in Hawaii deal with multiple strikes?
3. How did Hawaiian plantation owners treat their workers?
4. Which policy worker called for the use of Chinese workers on the transcontinental railroad?
5. When did the first wave of Asian immigration begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the major industry Filipino immigrants became involved in?
2. What is the life of a first generation immigrant like in America?
3. How did Chinese immigrants come to work on the Transcontinental Railroad in 1848?
4. How did the coupon payment system work and what was wrong with it?
5. Who is Abiko Kyutaro and what did he accomplish?
6. Explain the term 'paper son.'
7. Why did Takaki write this book?
8. What is partnership farming and who participated?
9. How does Takaki assert that Asians are discriminated against in Chapter 1?
10. What happened when the Asian brides arrived in America? What were their reactions?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)