|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What emotion did the picture brides feel when they met their husbands?
(c) Disappointment .
2. In what year did the plantations in Hawaii deal with multiple strikes?
3. What Marxist term does Takaki give the Asian workforce?
(c) The capitalist navy.
(d) The industrial reserve army.
4. Where did Japanese women work in America?
(a) In laundromats.
(b) Out of the home.
(c) At home.
(d) In and out of the home.
5. Who did unmarried Hawaiian men use to find brides in Japan?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did William Hoper find to be productive workers?
2. When did William Hoper open his sugar mill?
3. What organization supported Chinese immigrants and protested their poor treatment?
4. What did the husbands force their Japanese brides to wear upon their arrival to Hawaii?
5. How many Koreans arrived in America between 1903 and 1920?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the Korean immigrants not have their own community to live in?
2. How did Americans react to Filipino immigration?
3. How did Hawaiian men bring Asian women to Hawaii?
4. Why did the sugar plantations treat their workers well? How did they treat them well?
5. What ethnic group does Takaki assert is the fastest growing population in the United States and why?
6. What business did William Hoper run? Who did he hire to help run his business?
7. How did Filipinos feel about their homeland?
8. How did the second generation of Koreans born in America differ from their parents?
9. Define the Tongs and the Fongs.
10. Describe the environment Takaki grew up in.
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)