|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the purpose of the taxes that were imposed on immigrants, according to Takaki?
(a) Exclusion of the Chinese.
(b) Law and order.
(c) All citizens should be taxed.
2. At what grade did education stop for plantation worker's children?
(a) 12th grade.
(b) 8th grade.
(c) 1st grade.
(d) 4th grade.
3. When did the first wave of Asian immigration begin?
(a) Immigration Act of 1924.
(b) With the Mayflower.
(c) Immigration Act of 1968.
(d) The Cold War.
4. What location became the prime meeting spot for Chinese immigrants?
(c) Shopping malls.
5. How did Hawaiian plantation owners treat their workers?
(a) They beat them.
(b) They starved them.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what island did the author grow up?
2. How were the Japanese treated similarly to the Chinese immigrants?
3. When Hawaii could not longer import Chinese workers, who did they entice to the workforce next?
4. Why did Chinese workers strike while working on the railways?
5. What was the Japanese community based upon?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Hawaiian men bring Asian women to Hawaii?
2. Describe the story of Lung On and Ing Hay.
3. What were the working conditions of Filipino immigrants?
4. What happened when the Asian brides arrived in America? What were their reactions?
5. Approximately how many Asians arrived in Hawaii between 1850 and 1920, and where did they work?
6. What is the life of a first generation immigrant like in America?
7. How did the coupon payment system work and what was wrong with it?
8. Why did Vietnamese immigrants arrive in America and where did they live when they first arrived?
9. What ethnic group does Takaki assert is the fastest growing population in the United States and why?
10. Describe the Chinese immigrants' experience with the Central Pacific Railroad.
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)