|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What industry did many Chinese immigrants move to the United States for?
(a) Coal mining.
(b) Diamond mining.
(c) Gold mining.
(d) Steel mining.
2. In what year did the plantations in Hawaii deal with multiple strikes?
3. Where did Japanese women work in America?
(a) At home.
(b) In laundromats.
(c) In and out of the home.
(d) Out of the home.
4. What did Takaki write that contributed to growth of the Asian population in America?
(a) Freedom of religion.
(b) Immigration Act of 1965.
(c) Freedom of speech.
(d) Immigration Act of 1922.
5. Why did Chinese immigrants begin to open laundromats?
(a) They were fired from the railroad.
(b) The initial capital was low.
(c) There was a great need for the service.
(d) Familes could run the buisness.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the mining industry turned their back on the Chinese, what industry did they turn to?
2. What were Chinese immigrants subjected to by American citizens, according to Chapter 3?
3. On what type of Hawaiian plantations needed Asian laborers?
4. Why did very few Chinese immigrants return to China according to The Chinese Six Companies?
5. What was the Japanese community based upon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the McCarran-Watter Act declare?
2. How did the coupon payment system work and what was wrong with it?
3. How does Takaki assert that Asians are discriminated against in Chapter 1?
4. What jobs did Filipino women hold prior to coming to America?
5. Why did Filipino workers strike and what was the outcome of the strikes?
6. Describe the environment Takaki grew up in.
7. What was the ultimate goal of Japanese immigrants when coming to America?
8. Why did Takaki write this book?
9. Approximately how many Asians arrived in Hawaii between 1850 and 1920, and where did they work?
10. What was the purpose of the taxes implemented on mining in the 1850s?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)