|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did immigrants think about Hawaii? Why did they go there?
(a) Easy access to fishing.
(b) It was paradise.
(c) It had a low cost of living.
(d) It was near the beach.
2. What were Chinese immigrants subjected to by American citizens, according to Chapter 3?
(b) Burning crosses.
(c) Welcoming to the community.
(d) Prejudice and immigration.
3. In what year did Hawaii begin recruiting Filipino workers?
4. What does Takaki say is the fastest growing ethnic population?
(a) Middle Eastern.
5. What jobs did female Chinese immigrants hold according to Chapter 3?
(b) Housekeepers and prostitutes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Chinese immigrants work in New England?
2. On what island did the author grow up?
3. Why did very few Chinese immigrants return to China according to The Chinese Six Companies?
4. What organization supported Chinese immigrants and protested their poor treatment?
5. Why did Filipino immigrants come to Hawaii?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the Japanese limit Korean immigration?
2. Describe the environment Takaki grew up in.
3. What was the ultimate goal of Japanese immigrants when coming to America?
4. What major ruling by the courts in 1910 effected Asian Indians and who overturned the decision?
5. What is the life of a first generation immigrant like in America?
6. How are Asians discriminated against in modern society?
7. Describe the story of Lung On and Ing Hay.
8. How did Filipinos feel about their homeland?
9. What happened when the Asian brides arrived in America? What were their reactions?
10. How did Hawaiian men bring Asian women to Hawaii?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)