|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How were the Japanese treated in America?
(a) Like equals.
(b) Like brothers.
(c) Like strangers.
(d) Like the enemy.
2. What valley did the author grow up in?
(a) San Fernando Valley.
(b) Annapolis Valley.
(c) Palolo Valley.
(d) Valley Gorge.
3. In what state did the author grow up?
(b) New York.
4. How did Hawaiian plantation owners treat their workers?
(a) They starved them.
(b) They beat them.
5. In what city in California did Chinese immigrants build China Town?
(b) San Jose.
(d) San Francisco.
6. At what grade did education stop for plantation worker's children?
(a) 4th grade.
(b) 12th grade.
(c) 1st grade.
(d) 8th grade.
7. After the mining industry turned their back on the Chinese, what industry did they turn to?
8. What were blood unions based upon?
(b) National origin.
(d) Family ties.
9. When was the foreign miners' license tax imposed?
10. When did the Indian population begin to grow in Hawaii?
11. What Marxist term does Takaki give the Asian workforce?
(a) The industrial reserve army.
(b) The capitalist navy.
12. Why did Japanese people immigrate to the United States according to Takaki?
(a) To escape criminal charages.
(b) To escape harsh rulers.
(c) For a change of scenery.
(d) To make a higher wage.
13. What organization supported Chinese immigrants and protested their poor treatment?
(a) Chinese Six Companies.
(d) Chinese Star Shooters.
14. What does diversity in the work place accomplish according to Chapter 2?
(a) The bosses experience multiple cultures.
(b) It provides an educational experience.
(c) It makes a positive work environment.
(d) It prevents one block of immigrants from becoming too powerful.
15. In what year was a law passed that prohibited Japanese from owning land?
Short Answer Questions
1. What were Chinese immigrants subjected to by American citizens, according to Chapter 3?
2. Why did the Japanese limit Korean immigration to Hawaii, according to Chapter 2?
3. What emotion did the picture brides feel when they met their husbands?
4. Why did Abiko Kyutaro return to Japan prior to moving permanently to America?
5. Why did Chinese immigrants go into debt easily?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)