|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Chinese immigrants go into debt easily?
(a) No access to internet to pay bills.
(b) High spending habits.
(c) Low wages.
(d) Lack of knowledge of credit laws.
2. When did the first wave of Asian immigration begin?
(a) With the Mayflower.
(b) The Cold War.
(c) Immigration Act of 1924.
(d) Immigration Act of 1968.
3. Where did Japanese immigrants believe they would end up living after a few years of work?
4. In what state did the author grow up?
(a) New York.
5. After the mining industry turned their back on the Chinese, what industry did they turn to?
6. In Chapter 3, where does Takaki write that many Chinese immigrants settled?
(c) New York.
7. What did the blood unions become in 1920?
(a) Hawaii Laborers Association.
(b) The Laborers in Arms Association.
(c) The Asian Pacific Party.
(d) Fight! Freedom! Work!
8. How long had Takaki's family been in America?
(a) Six months.
(b) Ten generations.
(c) More than three generations.
(d) One generation.
9. What did immigrants think about Hawaii? Why did they go there?
(a) Easy access to fishing.
(b) It had a low cost of living.
(c) It was paradise.
(d) It was near the beach.
10. How many Koreans arrived in America between 1903 and 1920?
(a) Less then 2,000.
(c) More then 8,000.
(d) More then 12,000.
11. Who did the foreign miners' license tax apply to?
(c) Chinese workers that did not want to become citizens.
(d) Chinese workers that were citizens.
12. In what year were plans made for the transcontinental railroad?
13. What was the American Land and Produce Company also known as?
(d) Yamato Colony.
14. What was the purpose of the taxes that were imposed on immigrants, according to Takaki?
(a) Law and order.
(b) Exclusion of the Chinese.
(c) All citizens should be taxed.
15. How many Chinese workers were hired to work on the railways in 1865?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did unmarried Hawaiian men use to find brides in Japan?
2. Why did very few Chinese immigrants return to China according to The Chinese Six Companies?
3. At what grade did education stop for plantation worker's children?
4. In what year did the plantations in Hawaii deal with multiple strikes?
5. What was the Japanese community based upon?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)