|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Takaki assert people think about America's population?
(a) That the population is white.
(b) That America is a melting pot.
(c) That the population is Asian.
(d) That the population is diverse.
2. What is a credit ticket?
(a) The receipt of credit.
(b) The borrowing of money for passage to Hawaii.
(c) The bartering sysmtem on the islands.
(d) How business owners traded workers.
3. What organization supported Chinese immigrants and protested their poor treatment?
(c) Chinese Star Shooters.
(d) Chinese Six Companies.
4. On what island did the author grow up?
(b) Long Island.
5. What did the Filipino labor contracts include?
6. What types of businesses did Japanese immigrants open?
(a) Forest preserves.
(b) Medical practices.
(d) Fruit and vegetable farms.
7. What were the names of the secret societies formed to protect Asian members?
(c) The Free Masons.
(d) The Mighty Steeds.
8. What industry did many Chinese immigrants move to the United States for?
(a) Steel mining.
(b) Gold mining.
(c) Diamond mining.
(d) Coal mining.
9. How were the Japanese treated similarly to the Chinese immigrants?
(a) As dedicated workers.
(b) With open arms.
(c) Racial prejudice.
(d) With respect.
10. What industry was very popular for Japanese immigrants to work in?
(c) Culinary arts.
11. After the mining industry turned their back on the Chinese, what industry did they turn to?
12. Why did very few Chinese immigrants return to China according to The Chinese Six Companies?
(a) No money.
(b) No passport.
(c) Lack of family.
(d) The government would not let them return.
13. Where did Japanese women work in America?
(a) At home.
(b) In laundromats.
(c) In and out of the home.
(d) Out of the home.
14. What was the reaction in Chapter 3, to the special taxes put upon Chinese immigrants?
(b) A new president.
(d) Lawsuits and protests.
15. How did Hawaiian plantation owners treat their workers?
(a) They beat them.
(c) They starved them.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city in California did Chinese immigrants build China Town?
2. Why did Japanese people immigrate to the United States according to Takaki?
3. Who did the foreign miners' license tax apply to?
4. Which Chinese group became active in the opium and prostitution rings?
5. How many Asians arrived in Hawaii between 1850 and 1920?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)