|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What emotion did the picture brides feel when they met their husbands?
(c) Disappointment .
2. How long had Takaki's family been in America?
(a) Six months.
(b) One generation.
(c) Ten generations.
(d) More than three generations.
3. What were Chinese immigrants subjected to by American citizens, according to Chapter 3?
(a) Welcoming to the community.
(b) Prejudice and immigration.
(c) Burning crosses.
4. What were blood unions based upon?
(b) Family ties.
(d) National origin.
5. What made Chinese immigrants a threat to the mining industry?
(a) Their long hair.
(b) Their pointy shoes.
(c) Their culture.
(d) Their theivery.
6. What Marxist term does Takaki give the Asian workforce?
(a) The industrial reserve army.
(c) The capitalist navy.
7. What is a credit ticket?
(a) How business owners traded workers.
(b) The receipt of credit.
(c) The borrowing of money for passage to Hawaii.
(d) The bartering sysmtem on the islands.
8. Why did Hawaiian planters begin to hire nationalities other then Chinese?
(a) Other people applied for the job.
(b) To keep unions out.
(c) The Chinese immigration rates decreased.
(d) There was a strike.
9. Why did very few Chinese immigrants return to China according to The Chinese Six Companies?
(a) No money.
(b) No passport.
(c) The government would not let them return.
(d) Lack of family.
10. What was the ethnic composition where the author grew up?
(a) Japanese and Chinese.
(c) Chinese and African American.
11. In what year were plans made for the transcontinental railroad?
12. What was the American Land and Produce Company also known as?
(c) Yamato Colony.
13. Who did William Hoper find to be unproductive workers at his sugar mill?
(d) The elderly.
14. What industry did many Chinese immigrants move to the United States for?
(a) Steel mining.
(b) Gold mining.
(c) Diamond mining.
(d) Coal mining.
15. After the mining industry turned their back on the Chinese, what industry did they turn to?
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the first wave of Asian immigration begin?
2. Which Chinese group became active in the opium and prostitution rings?
3. What was the purpose of the taxes that were imposed on immigrants, according to Takaki?
4. What caused the strike with the Central Pacific Railroad to end?
5. In what year did the plantations in Hawaii deal with multiple strikes?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)