|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What made Chinese immigrants a threat to the mining industry?
(a) Their long hair.
(b) Their culture.
(c) Their theivery.
(d) Their pointy shoes.
2. Where did Japanese women work in America?
(a) At home.
(b) In and out of the home.
(c) Out of the home.
(d) In laundromats.
3. Who did the foreign miners' license tax apply to?
(b) Chinese workers that did not want to become citizens.
(d) Chinese workers that were citizens.
4. Which Chinese group became active in the opium and prostitution rings?
(b) White Cobras.
(c) The Orange Dragons.
5. Where did Takaki go to college?
(a) The West coast.
(b) The South.
(c) The East coast.
(d) The Midwest.
6. How many Chinese workers were hired to work on the railways in 1865?
7. What were blood unions based upon?
(a) Family ties.
(c) National origin.
8. What types of businesses did Japanese immigrants open?
(a) Fruit and vegetable farms.
(b) Forest preserves.
(d) Medical practices.
9. When did William Hoper open his sugar mill?
10. When Hawaii could not longer import Chinese workers, who did they entice to the workforce next?
11. What was the purpose of the taxes that were imposed on immigrants, according to Takaki?
(b) Law and order.
(c) Exclusion of the Chinese.
(d) All citizens should be taxed.
12. What Marxist term does Takaki give the Asian workforce?
(b) The industrial reserve army.
(d) The capitalist navy.
13. In Chapter 3, where does Takaki write that many Chinese immigrants settled?
(a) New York.
14. What industry was very popular for Japanese immigrants to work in?
(d) Culinary arts.
15. At what grade did education stop for plantation worker's children?
(a) 12th grade.
(b) 1st grade.
(c) 4th grade.
(d) 8th grade.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Hawaiian plantation owners treat their workers?
2. What does Takaki say is the fastest growing ethnic population?
3. Where did Japanese immigrants believe they would end up living after a few years of work?
4. How would unmarried Hawaiian men select Japanese brides?
5. In what year did the plantations in Hawaii deal with multiple strikes?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)