|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did very few Chinese immigrants return to China according to The Chinese Six Companies?
(a) No passport.
(b) The government would not let them return.
(c) Lack of family.
(d) No money.
2. Why did Filipino immigrants come to Hawaii?
(a) To escape criminal sentences.
(b) To be near the beach.
(c) To escape poverty.
(d) To learn how to surf.
3. What were blood unions based upon?
(b) National origin.
(c) Family ties.
4. Who did William Hoper find to be productive workers?
(b) Polish immigrants
(c) Chinese immigrants.
(d) Brazilian immigrants.
5. Where did Japanese immigrants believe they would end up living after a few years of work?
6. When did William Hoper open his sugar mill?
7. When Hawaii could not longer import Chinese workers, who did they entice to the workforce next?
8. What does diversity in the work place accomplish according to Chapter 2?
(a) It prevents one block of immigrants from becoming too powerful.
(b) The bosses experience multiple cultures.
(c) It makes a positive work environment.
(d) It provides an educational experience.
9. Why did Japanese people immigrate to the United States according to Takaki?
(a) For a change of scenery.
(b) To escape criminal charages.
(c) To escape harsh rulers.
(d) To make a higher wage.
10. What industry was very popular for Japanese immigrants to work in?
(a) Culinary arts.
11. What position did Asians hold on the occupational ladder, according to Takaki?
(a) Lowest rung
(b) Middle rung.
(c) Asians didn't make it on the ladder.
(d) Highest rung.
12. How were the Japanese treated similarly to the Chinese immigrants?
(a) With open arms.
(b) As dedicated workers.
(c) Racial prejudice.
(d) With respect.
13. What were the names of the secret societies formed to protect Asian members?
(b) The Free Masons.
(d) The Mighty Steeds.
14. Which policy worker called for the use of Chinese workers on the transcontinental railroad?
(a) William Clinton.
(b) George Frank.
(c) Aaron H. Palmer.
(d) James F. Kennedy.
15. Why does Takaki assert that Asian immigrants opened their own businesses?
(a) Work ethic.
(b) Lack of taxes.
(c) Government assistance.
(d) Exclusion from labor force.
Short Answer Questions
1. What organization supported Chinese immigrants and protested their poor treatment?
2. What did the blood unions become in 1920?
3. What is a credit ticket?
4. What was the ethnic composition where the author grew up?
5. What caused the strike with the Central Pacific Railroad to end?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)