|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the purpose of the taxes that were imposed on immigrants, according to Takaki?
(a) Law and order.
(b) All citizens should be taxed.
(d) Exclusion of the Chinese.
2. What Marxist term does Takaki give the Asian workforce?
(c) The industrial reserve army.
(d) The capitalist navy.
3. Who signed a law prohibiting Japanese from migrating from Hawaii to the mainland?
(a) President Roosevelt.
(b) President Kennedy.
(c) President Nixon.
(d) President Ford.
4. Where did Japanese women work in America?
(a) Out of the home.
(b) In and out of the home.
(c) In laundromats.
(d) At home.
5. In Chapter 3, how does Takaki claim Chinese immigrants were victimized?
(c) Insurance fraud.
6. What did immigrants think about Hawaii? Why did they go there?
(a) It had a low cost of living.
(b) Easy access to fishing.
(c) It was near the beach.
(d) It was paradise.
7. Where did Chinese immigrants work in New England?
(a) Maple fields.
(b) Raking leaves.
(c) Shoe Factories.
(d) Tire Factories.
8. Why did Chinese workers strike while working on the railways?
(b) Sexual harrasment.
(c) Health insurance.
(d) Higher wages.
9. On what island did the author grow up?
(d) Long Island.
10. Why did Hawaiian planters begin to hire nationalities other then Chinese?
(a) The Chinese immigration rates decreased.
(b) Other people applied for the job.
(c) To keep unions out.
(d) There was a strike.
11. What was the ethnic composition where the author grew up?
(b) Japanese and Chinese.
(d) Chinese and African American.
12. When did William Hoper open his sugar mill?
13. In what city in California did Chinese immigrants build China Town?
(a) San Francisco.
(b) San Jose.
14. When was the foreign miners' license tax imposed?
15. On what type of Hawaiian plantations needed Asian laborers?
(a) Sugar cane.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Takaki say is the fastest growing ethnic population?
2. What was the American Land and Produce Company?
3. When Hawaii could not longer import Chinese workers, who did they entice to the workforce next?
4. How many Chinese workers were hired to work on the railways in 1865?
5. Where did Takaki go to college?
This section contains 363 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)