|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What valley did the author grow up in?
(a) Palolo Valley.
(b) Annapolis Valley.
(c) San Fernando Valley.
(d) Valley Gorge.
2. Why did the Japanese limit Korean immigration to Hawaii, according to Chapter 2?
(a) Hawaii decided to build a really big fence.
(b) So they could not compete with the Japense for jobs.
(c) Korea went to war.
(d) The quota was already met.
3. When Hawaii could not longer import Chinese workers, who did they entice to the workforce next?
4. Why did very few Chinese immigrants return to China according to The Chinese Six Companies?
(a) Lack of family.
(b) No passport.
(c) No money.
(d) The government would not let them return.
5. What was the ethnic composition where the author grew up?
(b) Chinese and African American.
(c) Japanese and Chinese.
6. Which Chinese group became active in the opium and prostitution rings?
(b) The Orange Dragons.
(c) White Cobras.
7. When did William Hoper open his sugar mill?
8. Who did the foreign miners' license tax apply to?
(c) Chinese workers that did not want to become citizens.
(d) Chinese workers that were citizens.
9. In what state did the author grow up?
(d) New York.
10. What Marxist term does Takaki give the Asian workforce?
(b) The industrial reserve army.
(c) The capitalist navy.
11. In what year were plans made for the transcontinental railroad?
12. What was put into place to protect Chinese immigrants but ultimately did not work?
(a) A wall.
(b) Federal laws.
(c) Prison guards.
(d) The Guardian Angels.
13. How many Koreans arrived in America between 1903 and 1920?
(a) More then 8,000.
(c) Less then 2,000.
(d) More then 12,000.
14. How were the Japanese treated in America?
(a) Like equals.
(b) Like brothers.
(c) Like the enemy.
(d) Like strangers.
15. Why does Takaki assert that Asian immigrants opened their own businesses?
(a) Exclusion from labor force.
(b) Lack of taxes.
(c) Government assistance.
(d) Work ethic.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Chinese immigrants work in New England?
2. Who received the highest wages in the Hawaiian plantations?
3. Why did Abiko Kyutaro return to Japan prior to moving permanently to America?
4. How many Asians arrived in Hawaii between 1850 and 1920?
5. What did Takaki write that contributed to growth of the Asian population in America?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)