1. Describe the environment Takaki grew up in.
Takaki grew up in Paolo Valley in Oahu, Hawaii. The community was a mix of Japanese, Chinese, and Hawaiian families.
2. Describe Takaki's college experience. How was he treated?
Takaki went to a Midwestern college. He was treated as a foreign exchange student even though his parents were American.
3. What ethnic group does Takaki assert is the fastest growing population in the United States and why?
Takaki writes that the Asian population is the fastest growing population in the United States because of the Immigration Act of 1965.
4. How does Takaki assert that Asians are discriminated against in Chapter 1?
Takaki writes that Asians are discriminated against through wages and internment camps.
5. What business did William Hoper run? Who did he hire to help run his business?
William Hoper ran a sugar mill in the 1830s. He initially hired Hawaiians but then hired Chinese immigrants to help his business.
This section contains 1,629 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)