|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the trial progresses, what happens to Meursault's level of interest?
2. On the day of his trial, where is Meursault taken in handcuffs?
3. What does Meursault notice about the jury and pressmen in the courtroom?
4. Who officially determines Meursault's fate?
5. How does imprisonment and interrogation change Meursault's belief in God?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the events surrounding Meursault's killing of the Arab.
2. As Meursault, Marie, and Raymond travel to the bus stop, who do they see and what comes of the encounter?
3. When Meursault's attorney first arrives, what does he notice about Meursault and how does this affect him?
4. What do Raymond, Masson, and Meursault do immediately after the knife fight on the beach?
5. What are the jury's findings in the case and what is the sentence?
6. What can Meursault see outside his prison cell?
7. What is Meursault's mindset by the time Marie comes to visit him and why?
8. How do Meursault's feelings about God and repentance compare to other people in his situation?
9. What does Meursault miss in prison and what does the guard have to say about this?
10. Describe Meursault's realization about punishment.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay exploring how the author sets up Meursault as a character to whom it is hard to relate. Give specific examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay considering the role that punishment plays in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay evaluating the conclusion to the novel. Do you think it is complete or do you think it omits important details?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)