|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Perez testify about in court?
2. What does the attorney find when he interviews people about Meursault's background?
3. How long do the interrogations continue as preparations are made for Meursault's case?
4. What type of case is to follow Meursault's in court?
5. On the day of his trial, where is Meursault taken in handcuffs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the fight that Raymond and the others have with the Arabs at the beach.
2. Describe the physical attributes of the visiting room at the prison.
3. What question does the magistrate ask Meursault in which he is not satisfied with the response?
4. What is Meursault's mindset by the time Marie comes to visit him and why?
5. Describe Marie's visit to the prison.
6. As Meursault, Marie, and Raymond travel to the bus stop, who do they see and what comes of the encounter?
7. What does Meursault miss in prison and what does the guard have to say about this?
8. Whose testimony seems the most damaging and why?
9. When Meursault's attorney first arrives, what does he notice about Meursault and how does this affect him?
10. How does Meursault respond to the magistrate's question about whether he has anything to say in his own defense and how does the jury interpret his response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Meursault is offered a job in Paris. Compare and contrast his home city of Algiers, North Africa and the city Paris according to the evidence provided in the novel. Make sure to include references to how each are uses figuratively as well as literally.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay evaluating the conclusion to the novel. Do you think it is complete or do you think it omits important details?
Essay Topic 3
Select one character from the novel other than Meursault. Then, compare and contrast the character with Meursault. What are the similarities and differences in mannerism, action, emotion, thought, and so on?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)