|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How can the lights in the visiting room of the prison be described?
2. What does the prosecutor say about Meursault's intelligence?
3. When Meursault finds the Arab man next to the water, how does the Arab react?
4. In the interrogation room, which of the following does Meursault notice?
5. What does Perez testify about in court?
Short Essay Questions
1. What question does the magistrate ask Meursault in which he is not satisfied with the response?
2. When does the local magistrate first interview Meursault and in what is he most interested?
3. How do Meursault's feelings about God and repentance compare to other people in his situation?
4. What does Meursault notice as he is led into the courtroom?
5. Describe Marie's visit to the prison.
6. What does Meursault miss in prison and what does the guard have to say about this?
7. Describe the events surrounding Meursault's killing of the Arab.
8. Whose testimony is last and how does this testimony go?
9. What do Raymond, Masson, and Meursault do immediately after the knife fight on the beach?
10. Who does Meursault's attorney talk to and what does he find when he investigates Meursault's background?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay in which you examine the juxtaposition of life and death in the novel. How are these two themes used? Do the discussion of these themes produce similar or different results?
Essay Topic 2
Consider the points made about the justice system in the novel. Write an essay evaluating the critiques of the justice system in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay exploring how the author sets up Meursault as a character to whom it is hard to relate. Give specific examples from the novel.
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)