|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Meursault waits for his trial, what does he notice about the noise in the courtroom?
2. During the magistrate's questioning, what does Meursault remember about the day of the murder?
3. With whom does Meursault share a cell?
4. How do the authorities around him respond to Meursault's lack of spirituality?
5. What does Meursault observe about the physical surroundings of the interrogation room?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Meursault's attorney talk to and what does he find when he investigates Meursault's background?
2. How do Meursault's feelings about God and repentance compare to other people in his situation?
3. What does Meursault notice as he is led into the courtroom?
4. Describe Marie's visit to the prison.
5. For what means does the prosecutor state that Meursault is an intelligent man?
6. What does Meursault miss in prison and what does the guard have to say about this?
7. Describe the physical attributes of the visiting room at the prison.
8. Describe Meursault's realization about punishment.
9. Whose testimony seems the most damaging and why?
10. What question does the magistrate ask Meursault in which he is not satisfied with the response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In much of the novel, Meursault seems to be resigned to his fate. Write an essay examining the idea of fate and discussing how it is explored in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay evaluating the conclusion to the novel. Do you think it is complete or do you think it omits important details?
Essay Topic 3
Meursault seems to remember very little when questioned about the shooting. Write an essay discussing the role of memory in the novel.
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)