|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Meursault perceive being deprived of things after several months in prison?
2. When Meursault tells the guard about the things that he misses, what does the guard say?
3. How do the authorities around him respond to Meursault's lack of spirituality?
4. When Meursault and Raymond return to the cottage, why does Meursault not come up the steps?
5. According to the novel, how do most people who have been accused of murder receive God?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Meursault's mindset by the time Marie comes to visit him and why?
2. Describe Meursault's realization about punishment.
3. Why is Meursault alone on the beach after the day he has spent with Raymond and other friends at the beach house?
4. What does Meursault miss in prison and what does the guard have to say about this?
5. Describe the fight that Raymond and the others have with the Arabs at the beach.
6. What do Meursault, Marie, and Raymond spend the morning doing after arriving at the beach house?
7. For what means does the prosecutor state that Meursault is an intelligent man?
8. What does Meursault notice as he is led into the courtroom?
9. When Meursault's attorney first arrives, what does he notice about Meursault and how does this affect him?
10. What do Raymond, Masson, and Meursault do immediately after the knife fight on the beach?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Meursault travels to his mother's funeral at the beginning of the novel. After that, most of his movement is confined to a small area, especially in prison. Write an essay explaining how movement and lack of movement influence the character and plot development.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay evaluating the role and treatment of family in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
There is a significant portion of time spent talking about Salamano's dog. Write an essay explaining the symbolism and meaning of the dog in the novel.
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)