|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Meursault while his fate is being decided in the courtroom?
2. The injuries that Raymond receives from the knife fight can be described by which of the following words?
3. How do the authorities feel about Meursault's lack of emotion?
4. What does Meursault observe about the physical surroundings of the interrogation room?
5. What is Meursault looking for when he finds the Arab man lying near the water?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Meursault alone on the beach after the day he has spent with Raymond and other friends at the beach house?
2. How does Meursault respond to the magistrate's question about whether he has anything to say in his own defense and how does the jury interpret his response?
3. For what means does the prosecutor state that Meursault is an intelligent man?
4. What can Meursault see outside his prison cell?
5. Whose testimony is last and how does this testimony go?
6. What does the magistrate question Meursault about and what is Meursault's answer?
7. As the trial progresses, how does Meursault handle the trial and why?
8. Describe Meursault's realization about punishment.
9. Describe what Meursault notices as he is placed in the interrogation room for the first time?
10. What do Meursault, Marie, and Raymond spend the morning doing after arriving at the beach house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay in which you evaluate whether Meursault's decisions or forces out of his control have the most effect on his life and the outcome of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay evaluating the conclusion to the novel. Do you think it is complete or do you think it omits important details?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay exploring how the author sets up Meursault as a character to whom it is hard to relate. Give specific examples from the novel.
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)