|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What element of nature has played a role in all the negative episodes of Meursault's life?
2. How does imprisonment and interrogation change Meursault's belief in God?
3. In the interrogation room, which of the following does Meursault notice?
4. Besides cigarettes, what does Meursault miss while he is in prison?
5. After enduring many interrogations, how does Meursault feel about his surroundings?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the magistrate question Meursault about and what is Meursault's answer?
2. Describe Meursault's realization about punishment.
3. When Meursault's attorney first arrives, what does he notice about Meursault and how does this affect him?
4. What do Meursault, Marie, and Raymond spend the morning doing after arriving at the beach house?
5. When does the local magistrate first interview Meursault and in what is he most interested?
6. How does Meursault respond to the magistrate's question about whether he has anything to say in his own defense and how does the jury interpret his response?
7. Describe the events surrounding Meursault's killing of the Arab.
8. What is Meursault's mindset by the time Marie comes to visit him and why?
9. What question does the magistrate ask Meursault in which he is not satisfied with the response?
10. Describe what Meursault notices as he is placed in the interrogation room for the first time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the points made about the justice system in the novel. Write an essay evaluating the critiques of the justice system in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay exploring how the author sets up Meursault as a character to whom it is hard to relate. Give specific examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
In much of the novel, Meursault seems to be resigned to his fate. Write an essay examining the idea of fate and discussing how it is explored in the novel.
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)