|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Meursault's sentence?
2. After enduring many interrogations, how does Meursault feel about his surroundings?
3. What mindset does Meursault resign himself to in prison?
4. When Meursault enters the courtroom, what is he overcome by?
5. With whom does Meursault share a cell?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the jury's findings in the case and what is the sentence?
2. What do Raymond, Masson, and Meursault do immediately after the knife fight on the beach?
3. What does Meursault miss in prison and what does the guard have to say about this?
4. For what means does the prosecutor state that Meursault is an intelligent man?
5. Describe the fight that Raymond and the others have with the Arabs at the beach.
6. Describe the physical attributes of the visiting room at the prison.
7. What does Meursault notice as he is led into the courtroom?
8. Whose testimony seems the most damaging and why?
9. What do Meursault, Marie, and Raymond spend the morning doing after arriving at the beach house?
10. Describe what Meursault notices as he is placed in the interrogation room for the first time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay evaluating the role and treatment of family in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay in which you examine the juxtaposition of life and death in the novel. How are these two themes used? Do the discussion of these themes produce similar or different results?
Essay Topic 3
Meursault travels to his mother's funeral at the beginning of the novel. After that, most of his movement is confined to a small area, especially in prison. Write an essay explaining how movement and lack of movement influence the character and plot development.
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)