|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of which of the following materials is the beach house made?
2. What does Meursault observe about the physical surroundings of the interrogation room?
3. In what type of information is the magistrate most interested?
4. How can the lights in the visiting room of the prison be described?
5. As Meursault watches Marie converse with Masson's wife, what does he think about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Meursault alone on the beach after the day he has spent with Raymond and other friends at the beach house?
2. What is Meursault's mindset by the time Marie comes to visit him and why?
3. What does Meursault miss in prison and what does the guard have to say about this?
4. What question does the magistrate ask Meursault in which he is not satisfied with the response?
5. What are the jury's findings in the case and what is the sentence?
6. How do Meursault's feelings about God and repentance compare to other people in his situation?
7. For what means does the prosecutor state that Meursault is an intelligent man?
8. Describe the physical attributes of the visiting room at the prison.
9. Describe Meursault's realization about punishment.
10. What does the magistrate question Meursault about and what is Meursault's answer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay exploring how the author sets up Meursault as a character to whom it is hard to relate. Give specific examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Select a character from the novel. Then write an essay in which you evaluate whether the character is portrayed consistently.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay in which you examine the juxtaposition of life and death in the novel. How are these two themes used? Do the discussion of these themes produce similar or different results?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)