|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Perez testify about in court?
2. What do the women do while the men take a walk after lunch at the beach house?
3. How does Marie try to instill hope in Meursault?
4. After enduring many interrogations, how does Meursault feel about his surroundings?
5. Prior to the trial, how does Meursault perceive the case against him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Meursault, Marie, and Raymond spend the morning doing after arriving at the beach house?
2. Describe Meursault's realization about punishment.
3. As the trial progresses, how does Meursault handle the trial and why?
4. What does Meursault notice as he is led into the courtroom?
5. Why is Meursault alone on the beach after the day he has spent with Raymond and other friends at the beach house?
6. What do Raymond, Masson, and Meursault do immediately after the knife fight on the beach?
7. For what means does the prosecutor state that Meursault is an intelligent man?
8. Describe the fight that Raymond and the others have with the Arabs at the beach.
9. What can Meursault see outside his prison cell?
10. Who does Meursault's attorney talk to and what does he find when he investigates Meursault's background?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a significant portion of time spent talking about Salamano's dog. Write an essay explaining the symbolism and meaning of the dog in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay in which you examine the juxtaposition of life and death in the novel. How are these two themes used? Do the discussion of these themes produce similar or different results?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay exploring the significance of the role that the Arab men play in the novel.
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)