|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does imprisonment and interrogation change Meursault's belief in God?
2. What do the women do while the men take a walk after lunch at the beach house?
3. How do the authorities around him respond to Meursault's lack of spirituality?
4. What is Meursault's view from his cell?
5. Where does Masson take Raymond for the treatment of his cuts on the beach?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Meursault's realization about punishment.
2. What does the magistrate question Meursault about and what is Meursault's answer?
3. Describe Marie's visit to the prison.
4. How do Meursault's feelings about God and repentance compare to other people in his situation?
5. For what means does the prosecutor state that Meursault is an intelligent man?
6. When Meursault's attorney first arrives, what does he notice about Meursault and how does this affect him?
7. Describe the physical attributes of the visiting room at the prison.
8. What does Meursault notice as he is led into the courtroom?
9. As Meursault, Marie, and Raymond travel to the bus stop, who do they see and what comes of the encounter?
10. Why is Meursault alone on the beach after the day he has spent with Raymond and other friends at the beach house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay exploring the significance of the role that the Arab men play in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the points made about the justice system in the novel. Write an essay evaluating the critiques of the justice system in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Meursault encounters many different characters during the novel. Which of these characters do you think has the most influence on him? On whom do you think he has the most influence? Explain.
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)