|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the day of his trial, where is Meursault taken in handcuffs?
2. What blinds Meursault before he shoots the Arab?
3. Where is Meursault while his fate is being decided in the courtroom?
4. How does Meursault's attorney feel about Meursault's lack of emotion?
5. What is Meursault's view from his cell?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whose testimony seems the most damaging and why?
2. Describe Meursault's realization about punishment.
3. What do Raymond, Masson, and Meursault do immediately after the knife fight on the beach?
4. What does the magistrate question Meursault about and what is Meursault's answer?
5. Describe the events surrounding Meursault's killing of the Arab.
6. What question does the magistrate ask Meursault in which he is not satisfied with the response?
7. How do Meursault's feelings about God and repentance compare to other people in his situation?
8. What is Meursault's mindset by the time Marie comes to visit him and why?
9. When Meursault's attorney first arrives, what does he notice about Meursault and how does this affect him?
10. Describe Marie's visit to the prison.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay discussing the role of religion or religious belief in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay considering the role that punishment plays in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the points made about the justice system in the novel. Write an essay evaluating the critiques of the justice system in the novel.
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)