|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Meursault's attorney feel about Meursault's lack of emotion?
2. What does Meursault observe about the physical surroundings of the interrogation room?
3. Which of the following is true about how Meursault has handled prison conditions?
4. While Raymond, Meursault, and Masson are walking, who slashes Raymond on his arms and lips with a knife?
5. How does Meursault feel when he thinks the thoughts of a free man?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Meursault respond to the magistrate's question about whether he has anything to say in his own defense and how does the jury interpret his response?
2. Describe what Meursault notices as he is placed in the interrogation room for the first time?
3. Whose testimony seems the most damaging and why?
4. As Meursault, Marie, and Raymond travel to the bus stop, who do they see and what comes of the encounter?
5. Describe the physical attributes of the visiting room at the prison.
6. What does Meursault miss in prison and what does the guard have to say about this?
7. Describe Meursault's realization about punishment.
8. Why is Meursault alone on the beach after the day he has spent with Raymond and other friends at the beach house?
9. As the trial progresses, how does Meursault handle the trial and why?
10. Describe the fight that Raymond and the others have with the Arabs at the beach.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay evaluating the conclusion to the novel. Do you think it is complete or do you think it omits important details?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay in which you examine the juxtaposition of life and death in the novel. How are these two themes used? Do the discussion of these themes produce similar or different results?
Essay Topic 3
Meursault travels to his mother's funeral at the beginning of the novel. After that, most of his movement is confined to a small area, especially in prison. Write an essay explaining how movement and lack of movement influence the character and plot development.
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)