|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Meursault's view from his cell?
2. What has Meursault's attorney told him about the trial?
3. How many times does Meursault shoot the Arab?
4. Which of the following is true about how Meursault has handled prison conditions?
5. Where does Meursault find his attorney?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Meursault notice as he is led into the courtroom?
2. What is Meursault's mindset by the time Marie comes to visit him and why?
3. Whose testimony is last and how does this testimony go?
4. How does Meursault respond to the magistrate's question about whether he has anything to say in his own defense and how does the jury interpret his response?
5. Whose testimony seems the most damaging and why?
6. Describe the physical attributes of the visiting room at the prison.
7. When Meursault's attorney first arrives, what does he notice about Meursault and how does this affect him?
8. What are the jury's findings in the case and what is the sentence?
9. As the trial progresses, how does Meursault handle the trial and why?
10. What do Raymond, Masson, and Meursault do immediately after the knife fight on the beach?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the points made about the justice system in the novel. Write an essay evaluating the critiques of the justice system in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay exploring how the author sets up Meursault as a character to whom it is hard to relate. Give specific examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on how foreshadowing is used as a literary device in the novel.
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)