|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What method of transportation do Meursault, Raymond, and Marie take to the beach house?
2. What does Meursault notice about the jury and pressmen in the courtroom?
3. During the magistrate's questioning, what does Meursault remember about the day of the murder?
4. Which of the following is true about most of the statements by the prosecutor in court?
5. What do the women do while the men take a walk after lunch at the beach house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the events surrounding Meursault's killing of the Arab.
2. How do Meursault's feelings about God and repentance compare to other people in his situation?
3. What are the jury's findings in the case and what is the sentence?
4. Describe the fight that Raymond and the others have with the Arabs at the beach.
5. What does the magistrate question Meursault about and what is Meursault's answer?
6. Whose testimony is last and how does this testimony go?
7. What question does the magistrate ask Meursault in which he is not satisfied with the response?
8. Describe Meursault's realization about punishment.
9. As the trial progresses, how does Meursault handle the trial and why?
10. What is Meursault's mindset by the time Marie comes to visit him and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In much of the novel, Meursault seems to be resigned to his fate. Write an essay examining the idea of fate and discussing how it is explored in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Select a character from the novel. Then write an essay in which you evaluate whether the character is portrayed consistently.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay in which you evaluate personal interaction in the novel. Consider how Meursault interacts with others and how they perceive his interaction.
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)