|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the people in the courtroom feel about what Meursault says in his own defense?
2. When he is led back into the courtroom, what does Meursault notice?
3. Who officially determines Meursault's fate?
4. How many times does Meursault shoot the Arab?
5. When Raymond and Meursault return to the beach after Raymond is injured, what does Raymond ask Meursault if he should do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Meursault notices as he is placed in the interrogation room for the first time?
2. What question does the magistrate ask Meursault in which he is not satisfied with the response?
3. When Meursault's attorney first arrives, what does he notice about Meursault and how does this affect him?
4. For what means does the prosecutor state that Meursault is an intelligent man?
5. What can Meursault see outside his prison cell?
6. Describe the events surrounding Meursault's killing of the Arab.
7. What do Raymond, Masson, and Meursault do immediately after the knife fight on the beach?
8. Whose testimony is last and how does this testimony go?
9. As Meursault, Marie, and Raymond travel to the bus stop, who do they see and what comes of the encounter?
10. As the trial progresses, how does Meursault handle the trial and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Meursault encounters many different characters during the novel. Which of these characters do you think has the most influence on him? On whom do you think he has the most influence? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay evaluating the role and treatment of family in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay in which you examine the juxtaposition of life and death in the novel. How are these two themes used? Do the discussion of these themes produce similar or different results?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)