|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Meursault while his fate is being decided in the courtroom?
2. How are Marie and Meursault physically situated when she comes to visit him in prison?
3. How does Meursault react to his friends in the courtroom?
4. When Raymond testifies, for what is he criticized?
5. When Raymond and Meursault encounter the two Arabs, what results from them staring each other down with their weapons?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Meursault's mindset by the time Marie comes to visit him and why?
2. Describe the events surrounding Meursault's killing of the Arab.
3. What do Meursault, Marie, and Raymond spend the morning doing after arriving at the beach house?
4. When does the local magistrate first interview Meursault and in what is he most interested?
5. Describe what Meursault notices as he is placed in the interrogation room for the first time?
6. When Meursault's attorney first arrives, what does he notice about Meursault and how does this affect him?
7. What can Meursault see outside his prison cell?
8. What are the jury's findings in the case and what is the sentence?
9. What do Raymond, Masson, and Meursault do immediately after the knife fight on the beach?
10. What does Meursault notice as he is led into the courtroom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In much of the novel, Meursault seems to be resigned to his fate. Write an essay examining the idea of fate and discussing how it is explored in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay in which you evaluate whether Meursault's decisions or forces out of his control have the most effect on his life and the outcome of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay exploring how the author sets up Meursault as a character to whom it is hard to relate. Give specific examples from the novel.
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)