|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What meal are Meursault and Marie planning to eat when they hear commotion in Raymond's apartment?
2. How does Raymond feel that his mistress is treating him?
3. Which of the following phrases describes Meursault's behavior at his mother's funeral?
4. Which of the following does Meursault NOT notice during his reflections the weekend after his mother's funeral?
5. On the first day that Meursault returns to work, who does he meet for lunch?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conversation that Raymond and Meursault have with Salamano about his missing dog.
2. While Meursault considers the boiled potatoes he will have for dinner, who invites him for dinner and what is this person's appearance?
3. How does Meursault's acknowledgment that his mother's funeral was the day before affect Marie and what observations does she make regarding his treatment of his mother's death?
4. On what piece of clothing of Meursault's does Marie comment and what does this item represent?
5. How does Meursault respond when Marie asks him to marry her and how does he feel about the question?
6. Where does Meursault meet Marie on the day after his mother's funeral and what do they spend the day doing?
7. Describe Meursault's dinner at Celeste's when Marie cannot meet him for dinner?
8. How does Meursault spend the morning of the Sunday after his mother's funeral?
9. Describe Meursault's musings at the sun sets on the Sunday after his mother's funeral.
10. When Marie and Meursault hear a raucous disturbance coming from Raymond's apartment, what does Marie asks Meursault to do? How does he respond and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In much of the novel, Meursault seems to be resigned to his fate. Write an essay examining the idea of fate and discussing how it is explored in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay discussing the role of religion or religious belief in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay considering the role that punishment plays in the novel.
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)