|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Meursault take so much pleasure in washing his hands on the morning he returns to work?
2. Why does Meursault's employer think the job in Paris is a good match for Meursault?
3. What do Meursault and the odd woman talk about during dinner?
4. Who accompanies Raymond to the police station as a witness?
5. After the day of the funeral, where does Meursault meet Marie?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Meursault spend the afternoon of the Sunday after his mother's funeral?
2. Where does Meursault meet Marie on the day after his mother's funeral and what do they spend the day doing?
3. When his employer calls him into the office, where does he offer him a job and how does Meursault feel about the offer?
4. Describe Raymond and Meursault's night after they go to the police station together?
5. On what piece of clothing of Meursault's does Marie comment and what does this item represent?
6. Describe the conversation that Meursault and Marie have about the job offer.
7. Describe Meursault's musings at the sun sets on the Sunday after his mother's funeral.
8. After spending the night together the weekend after Meursault's first week back at work, what do Meursault and Marie talk about and what is his response?
9. Describe Meursault's experience washing his hands in the office when he returns to work.
10. Where does the caretaker of the nursing home take Meursault after his arrival and what does the caretaker offer to do in this place that Meursault refuses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay in which you evaluate personal interaction in the novel. Consider how Meursault interacts with others and how they perceive his interaction.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay evaluating the conclusion to the novel. Do you think it is complete or do you think it omits important details?
Essay Topic 3
Meursault seems to remember very little when questioned about the shooting. Write an essay discussing the role of memory in the novel.
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)