|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Meursault to be overwhelmed with the desire to kiss Marie?
2. What does Meursault do on the morning after his night with Marie?
3. Which of the following items does Meursault borrow from a friend before traveling to his mother's funeral?
4. What mode of transportation does Meursault take to the village where his mother's retirement home is located?
5. Which of the following phrases describes Meursault's behavior at his mother's funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Perez and what does he do during the funeral procession?
2. How does Meursault respond when Marie asks him to marry her and how does he feel about the question?
3. Why does Meursault's employer chastise Meursault?
4. Where does Meursault eat on his first day back to work after his mother's funeral and what does he do after lunch?
5. Describe Meursault's experience washing his hands in the office when he returns to work.
6. Where does Meursault meet Marie on the day after his mother's funeral and what do they spend the day doing?
7. Where does Meursault go after the funeral and what does he plan to do there?
8. When his employer calls him into the office, where does he offer him a job and how does Meursault feel about the offer?
9. How does Meursault's acknowledgment that his mother's funeral was the day before affect Marie and what observations does she make regarding his treatment of his mother's death?
10. Describe Meursault's preparations before boarding the bus to his mother's funeral.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Meursault encounters many different characters during the novel. Which of these characters do you think has the most influence on him? On whom do you think he has the most influence? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay in which you evaluate whether Meursault's decisions or forces out of his control have the most effect on his life and the outcome of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on how foreshadowing is used as a literary device in the novel.
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)