|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who meets Meursault when he arrives for his mother's funeral?
2. How does Meursault show grief the weekend following his mother's death?
3. About what time does Salamano reminisce with Meursault?
4. How does Perez respond to the grief and exhaustion of the funeral procession?
5. Where does Meursault live at the start of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. On what piece of clothing of Meursault's does Marie comment and what does this item represent?
2. Where does the caretaker of the nursing home take Meursault after his arrival and what does the caretaker offer to do in this place that Meursault refuses?
3. Where does Meursault eat on his first day back to work after his mother's funeral and what does he do after lunch?
4. Who is Salamano and how do his neighbors respond to him?
5. Describe the conversation that Raymond and Meursault have with Salamano about his missing dog.
6. While Meursault considers the boiled potatoes he will have for dinner, who invites him for dinner and what is this person's appearance?
7. After spending the night together the weekend after Meursault's first week back at work, what do Meursault and Marie talk about and what is his response?
8. How does Meursault spend the morning of the Sunday after his mother's funeral?
9. What are Salamano's thoughts on Meursault sending his mother to the home?
10. When his employer calls him into the office, where does he offer him a job and how does Meursault feel about the offer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay evaluating the conclusion to the novel. Do you think it is complete or do you think it omits important details?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay exploring the significance of the role that the Arab men play in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay in which you examine the juxtaposition of life and death in the novel. How are these two themes used? Do the discussion of these themes produce similar or different results?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)