|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Meursault refuse to call the police when the commotion is going on in Raymond's apartment?
2. About what time does Salamano reminisce with Meursault?
3. What does Raymond plan on doing when his mistress returns?
4. Where does Meursault eat before traveling to the village where his mother's retirement home is located?
5. How does Meursault regard interruptions to his work schedule?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conversation that Raymond and Meursault have with Salamano about his missing dog.
2. Where does Meursault go after the funeral and what does he plan to do there?
3. On what piece of clothing of Meursault's does Marie comment and what does this item represent?
4. When Marie and Meursault hear a raucous disturbance coming from Raymond's apartment, what does Marie asks Meursault to do? How does he respond and why?
5. Describe Meursault's experience washing his hands in the office when he returns to work.
6. When Raymond opens the door for the police, what does the policeman discover and who else is observing the situation?
7. How does Meursault's acknowledgment that his mother's funeral was the day before affect Marie and what observations does she make regarding his treatment of his mother's death?
8. Where does Meursault eat on his first day back to work after his mother's funeral and what does he do after lunch?
9. When his employer calls him into the office, where does he offer him a job and how does Meursault feel about the offer?
10. Who is Salamano and how do his neighbors respond to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Select a physical setting from the novel, for example the cafe, the beach, etc. Then, explore the significance of the setting. How do the details of this setting contribute to plot and/or character development?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay considering the role that punishment plays in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay exploring how the author sets up Meursault as a character to whom it is hard to relate. Give specific examples from the novel.
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)