|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Raymond suggest that he and the person who accompanied him do after they return back from the police station?
2. As a gesture of their new friendship what does Raymond offer to Meursault?
3. How does Marie react to the news that Meursault's mother has died only one day before she spends the day with Meursault?
4. After the day of the funeral, where does Meursault meet Marie?
5. How old does Meursault say that his mother was at the time of her death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Meursault's dinner at Celeste's when Marie cannot meet him for dinner?
2. When Marie and Meursault hear a raucous disturbance coming from Raymond's apartment, what does Marie asks Meursault to do? How does he respond and why?
3. Describe Raymond and Meursault's night after they go to the police station together?
4. Where does Meursault go after the funeral and what does he plan to do there?
5. How does Meursault interpret the questions from his employer when he returns to work and why?
6. Why does Raymond invite Meursault to the police station with him and how does Meursault respond
7. How does Meursault's acknowledgment that his mother's funeral was the day before affect Marie and what observations does she make regarding his treatment of his mother's death?
8. Who is Perez and what does he do during the funeral procession?
9. What accommodations does Meursault ask his employer to make when he finds out his mother has died and how does the employer react?
10. When Raymond opens the door for the police, what does the policeman discover and who else is observing the situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay in which you evaluate whether Meursault's decisions or forces out of his control have the most effect on his life and the outcome of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
There is a significant portion of time spent talking about Salamano's dog. Write an essay explaining the symbolism and meaning of the dog in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay in which you evaluate personal interaction in the novel. Consider how Meursault interacts with others and how they perceive his interaction.
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)