|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Meursault's employer think the job in Paris is a good match for Meursault?
2. What does Raymond plan on doing when his mistress returns?
3. Where does Meursault live at the start of the novel?
4. Which of the following does Meursault NOT notice during his reflections the weekend after his mother's funeral?
5. Why is Raymond's hand bandaged when Meursault comes over for dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the caretaker of the nursing home take Meursault after his arrival and what does the caretaker offer to do in this place that Meursault refuses?
2. Describe the conversation that Meursault and Marie have about the job offer.
3. How does Meursault spend the morning of the Sunday after his mother's funeral?
4. Who is Perez and what does he do during the funeral procession?
5. Who is Salamano and how do his neighbors respond to him?
6. Describe Meursault's preparations before boarding the bus to his mother's funeral.
7. How does Meursault respond when Marie asks him to marry her and how does he feel about the question?
8. Why does Meursault's employer chastise Meursault?
9. Where does Meursault meet Marie on the day after his mother's funeral and what do they spend the day doing?
10. Why does Raymond invite Meursault to the police station with him and how does Meursault respond
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the points made about the justice system in the novel. Write an essay evaluating the critiques of the justice system in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay in which you evaluate whether Meursault's decisions or forces out of his control have the most effect on his life and the outcome of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on how foreshadowing is used as a literary device in the novel.
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)