|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who accompanies Raymond to the police station as a witness?
2. Why does Meursault refuse to call the police when the commotion is going on in Raymond's apartment?
3. What does Meursault see people doing as he sits by the window during the Sunday after his mother's funeral?
4. What does Meursault do on the way to visit his mother's village?
5. What does Meursault do on the morning after his night with Marie?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Meursault's acknowledgment that his mother's funeral was the day before affect Marie and what observations does she make regarding his treatment of his mother's death?
2. Why does Raymond invite Meursault to the police station with him and how does Meursault respond
3. What are Salamano's thoughts on Meursault sending his mother to the home?
4. What accommodations does Meursault ask his employer to make when he finds out his mother has died and how does the employer react?
5. Who is Salamano and how do his neighbors respond to him?
6. Describe Meursault's preparations before boarding the bus to his mother's funeral.
7. How does Meursault respond when Marie asks him to marry her and how does he feel about the question?
8. Where does Meursault stay during his night in the village where his mother had lived and who stays with him?
9. Describe the conversation that Raymond and Meursault have with Salamano about his missing dog.
10. Where does Meursault eat on his first day back to work after his mother's funeral and what does he do after lunch?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay in which you evaluate whether Meursault's decisions or forces out of his control have the most effect on his life and the outcome of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on how foreshadowing is used as a literary device in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Select a physical setting from the novel, for example the cafe, the beach, etc. Then, explore the significance of the setting. How do the details of this setting contribute to plot and/or character development?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)