|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Marie asks Meursault whether he loves her the first time, how does he respond?
2. Who meets Meursault when he arrives for his mother's funeral?
3. How does Meursault regard interruptions to his work schedule?
4. Where does Meursault eat before traveling to the village where his mother's retirement home is located?
5. Why does Meursault's employer think the job in Paris is a good match for Meursault?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Meursault respond when Marie asks him to marry her and how does he feel about the question?
2. When Marie and Meursault hear a raucous disturbance coming from Raymond's apartment, what does Marie asks Meursault to do? How does he respond and why?
3. While Meursault considers the boiled potatoes he will have for dinner, who invites him for dinner and what is this person's appearance?
4. Who is Perez and what does he do during the funeral procession?
5. How does Meursault interpret the questions from his employer when he returns to work and why?
6. Describe the conversation that Meursault and Marie have about the job offer.
7. Who is Salamano and how do his neighbors respond to him?
8. How does Meursault's acknowledgment that his mother's funeral was the day before affect Marie and what observations does she make regarding his treatment of his mother's death?
9. Where does Meursault meet Marie on the day after his mother's funeral and what do they spend the day doing?
10. Why does Meursault's employer chastise Meursault?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Meursault seems to remember very little when questioned about the shooting. Write an essay discussing the role of memory in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Select a character from the novel. Then write an essay in which you evaluate whether the character is portrayed consistently.
Essay Topic 3
Meursault travels to his mother's funeral at the beginning of the novel. After that, most of his movement is confined to a small area, especially in prison. Write an essay explaining how movement and lack of movement influence the character and plot development.
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)