|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Meursault hear through his walls after talking to Salamano about the missing dog?
2. As a gesture of their new friendship what does Raymond offer to Meursault?
3. In reaction to news that his mother has died, how many days does Meursault ask off from his job?
4. What else does Meursault believe has changed with his mother's death?
5. Where does Meursault live at the start of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Meursault's feelings about God and repentance compare to other people in his situation?
2. What is Meursault's mindset by the time Marie comes to visit him and why?
3. Where does Meursault eat on his first day back to work after his mother's funeral and what does he do after lunch?
4. For what means does the prosecutor state that Meursault is an intelligent man?
5. How does Meursault spend the morning of the Sunday after his mother's funeral?
6. How does Meursault respond to the magistrate's question about whether he has anything to say in his own defense and how does the jury interpret his response?
7. What are the jury's findings in the case and what is the sentence?
8. What does Meursault notice as he is led into the courtroom?
9. Describe Meursault's experience washing his hands in the office when he returns to work.
10. Describe the events surrounding Meursault's killing of the Arab.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Meursault is offered a job in Paris. Compare and contrast his home city of Algiers, North Africa and the city Paris according to the evidence provided in the novel. Make sure to include references to how each are uses figuratively as well as literally.
Essay Topic 2
There is a significant portion of time spent talking about Salamano's dog. Write an essay explaining the symbolism and meaning of the dog in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Select a physical setting from the novel, for example the cafe, the beach, etc. Then, explore the significance of the setting. How do the details of this setting contribute to plot and/or character development?
This section contains 1,139 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)