|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What offer does Meursault receive and refuse when at the morgue?
2. Why does Meursault refuse to call the police when the commotion is going on in Raymond's apartment?
3. Why does Meursault's employer think the job in Paris is a good match for Meursault?
4. Whose beach house do Raymond, Meursault, and Marie visit?
5. When Marie asks Meursault whether he loves her the first time, how does he respond?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Meursault eat on his first day back to work after his mother's funeral and what does he do after lunch?
2. How does Meursault respond when Marie asks him to marry her and how does he feel about the question?
3. Describe Meursault's preparations before boarding the bus to his mother's funeral.
4. Why does Meursault's employer chastise Meursault?
5. Describe the conversation that Meursault and Marie have about the job offer.
6. When Marie and Meursault hear a raucous disturbance coming from Raymond's apartment, what does Marie asks Meursault to do? How does he respond and why?
7. Where does the caretaker of the nursing home take Meursault after his arrival and what does the caretaker offer to do in this place that Meursault refuses?
8. What accommodations does Meursault ask his employer to make when he finds out his mother has died and how does the employer react?
9. How does Meursault spend the afternoon of the Sunday after his mother's funeral?
10. Where does Meursault meet Marie on the day after his mother's funeral and what do they spend the day doing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Select a physical setting from the novel, for example the cafe, the beach, etc. Then, explore the significance of the setting. How do the details of this setting contribute to plot and/or character development?
Essay Topic 2
Meursault travels to his mother's funeral at the beginning of the novel. After that, most of his movement is confined to a small area, especially in prison. Write an essay explaining how movement and lack of movement influence the character and plot development.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the points made about the justice system in the novel. Write an essay evaluating the critiques of the justice system in the novel.
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)