|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who meets Meursault when he arrives for his mother's funeral?
2. What does Raymond do with the letter to his mistress?
3. What does Marie think of the lunch that Meursault cooks for her?
4. When Meursault returns home after dinner with the odd woman, what news does Salamano give him about the dog?
5. How does Meursault interpret his employer's response to his mother's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. After spending the night together the weekend after Meursault's first week back at work, what do Meursault and Marie talk about and what is his response?
2. Describe Meursault's musings at the sun sets on the Sunday after his mother's funeral.
3. Describe Raymond and Meursault's night after they go to the police station together?
4. Where does Meursault meet Marie on the day after his mother's funeral and what do they spend the day doing?
5. Who is Perez and what does he do during the funeral procession?
6. Describe Meursault's dinner at Celeste's when Marie cannot meet him for dinner?
7. When his employer calls him into the office, where does he offer him a job and how does Meursault feel about the offer?
8. Why does Meursault's employer chastise Meursault?
9. How does Meursault spend the afternoon of the Sunday after his mother's funeral?
10. Where does Meursault stay during his night in the village where his mother had lived and who stays with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In much of the novel, Meursault seems to be resigned to his fate. Write an essay examining the idea of fate and discussing how it is explored in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
There is a significant portion of time spent talking about Salamano's dog. Write an essay explaining the symbolism and meaning of the dog in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Select a physical setting from the novel, for example the cafe, the beach, etc. Then, explore the significance of the setting. How do the details of this setting contribute to plot and/or character development?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)