|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Meursault view Raymond's desire to be his friend?
2. Which of the following does Meursault NOT notice during his reflections the weekend after his mother's funeral?
3. When the sun sets the Sunday after his mother's funeral, what does Meursault think?
4. When Marie asks Meursault whether he loves her the first time, how does he respond?
5. How does Meursault end up eating with an odd woman that he doesn't know?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the caretaker of the nursing home take Meursault after his arrival and what does the caretaker offer to do in this place that Meursault refuses?
2. How does Meursault spend the afternoon of the Sunday after his mother's funeral?
3. Why does Raymond invite Meursault to the police station with him and how does Meursault respond
4. When his employer calls him into the office, where does he offer him a job and how does Meursault feel about the offer?
5. How does Meursault's acknowledgment that his mother's funeral was the day before affect Marie and what observations does she make regarding his treatment of his mother's death?
6. Describe Meursault's dinner at Celeste's when Marie cannot meet him for dinner?
7. What accommodations does Meursault ask his employer to make when he finds out his mother has died and how does the employer react?
8. Describe Raymond and Meursault's night after they go to the police station together?
9. Describe the conversation that Raymond and Meursault have with Salamano about his missing dog.
10. When Marie and Meursault hear a raucous disturbance coming from Raymond's apartment, what does Marie asks Meursault to do? How does he respond and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay evaluating the conclusion to the novel. Do you think it is complete or do you think it omits important details?
Essay Topic 2
Meursault encounters many different characters during the novel. Which of these characters do you think has the most influence on him? On whom do you think he has the most influence? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay in which you evaluate whether Meursault's decisions or forces out of his control have the most effect on his life and the outcome of the novel.
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)