|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who writes a letter to Raymond's mistress begging her to return?
2. What mode of transportation does Meursault take to the village where his mother's retirement home is located?
3. How does Meursault show grief the weekend following his mother's death?
4. When Marie asks Meursault whether he loves her the first time, how does he respond?
5. How does Marie feel about the job Meursault was offered in Paris?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Meursault go after the funeral and what does he plan to do there?
2. How does Meursault's acknowledgment that his mother's funeral was the day before affect Marie and what observations does she make regarding his treatment of his mother's death?
3. What are Salamano's thoughts on Meursault sending his mother to the home?
4. Describe the purpose of the letter that Meursault agrees to write for Raymond.
5. Where does Meursault eat on his first day back to work after his mother's funeral and what does he do after lunch?
6. When Raymond opens the door for the police, what does the policeman discover and who else is observing the situation?
7. Describe the conversation that Meursault and Marie have about the job offer.
8. Describe Raymond and Meursault's night after they go to the police station together?
9. How does Meursault respond when Marie asks him to marry her and how does he feel about the question?
10. Describe Meursault's musings at the sun sets on the Sunday after his mother's funeral.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Select a character from the novel. Then write an essay in which you evaluate whether the character is portrayed consistently.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay discussing the role of religion or religious belief in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Select a physical setting from the novel, for example the cafe, the beach, etc. Then, explore the significance of the setting. How do the details of this setting contribute to plot and/or character development?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)