|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Marie asks Meursault whether he loves her the first time, how does he respond?
2. What does Marie notice about Meursault's reaction to his mother's death?
3. How does the policeman respond to Raymond's verbal abuse when the police come to his home?
4. Why does Meursault's employer think the job in Paris is a good match for Meursault?
5. As Salamano looks for his dog, what does Raymond suggest?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conversation that Raymond and Meursault have with Salamano about his missing dog.
2. While Meursault considers the boiled potatoes he will have for dinner, who invites him for dinner and what is this person's appearance?
3. Who is Perez and what does he do during the funeral procession?
4. When Marie and Meursault hear a raucous disturbance coming from Raymond's apartment, what does Marie asks Meursault to do? How does he respond and why?
5. Where does the caretaker of the nursing home take Meursault after his arrival and what does the caretaker offer to do in this place that Meursault refuses?
6. How does Meursault's acknowledgment that his mother's funeral was the day before affect Marie and what observations does she make regarding his treatment of his mother's death?
7. Describe the conversation that Meursault and Marie have about the job offer.
8. Who is Salamano and how do his neighbors respond to him?
9. Where does Meursault stay during his night in the village where his mother had lived and who stays with him?
10. Describe Meursault's musings at the sun sets on the Sunday after his mother's funeral.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay considering the role that punishment plays in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Select one character from the novel other than Meursault. Then, compare and contrast the character with Meursault. What are the similarities and differences in mannerism, action, emotion, thought, and so on?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay evaluating the role and treatment of family in the novel.
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)