|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the sun sets the Sunday after his mother's funeral, what does Meursault think?
2. Why is Raymond's hand bandaged when Meursault comes over for dinner?
3. Where do Meursault and Marie spend the night after their day together?
4. What is the weather like for the funeral procession?
5. After his first week back at work after his mother's death, where does Meursault spend time with Marie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Meursault's dinner at Celeste's when Marie cannot meet him for dinner?
2. Why does Raymond invite Meursault to the police station with him and how does Meursault respond
3. Where does Meursault stay during his night in the village where his mother had lived and who stays with him?
4. Describe Raymond and Meursault's night after they go to the police station together?
5. When Marie and Meursault hear a raucous disturbance coming from Raymond's apartment, what does Marie asks Meursault to do? How does he respond and why?
6. Why does Meursault's employer chastise Meursault?
7. How does Meursault respond when Marie asks him to marry her and how does he feel about the question?
8. Where does Meursault go after the funeral and what does he plan to do there?
9. While Meursault considers the boiled potatoes he will have for dinner, who invites him for dinner and what is this person's appearance?
10. After spending the night together the weekend after Meursault's first week back at work, what do Meursault and Marie talk about and what is his response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay discussing the role of religion or religious belief in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay in which you evaluate personal interaction in the novel. Consider how Meursault interacts with others and how they perceive his interaction.
Essay Topic 3
Select a physical setting from the novel, for example the cafe, the beach, etc. Then, explore the significance of the setting. How do the details of this setting contribute to plot and/or character development?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)