|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What piece of clothing does Marie notice that Meursault is wearing that indicates he is mourning?
2. How does Meursault respond to Salamano's news about the dog when he returns home from having dinner with the odd woman?
3. For what does Meursault's employer chastise him?
4. When Meursault returns to work, how does his employer respond?
5. After the day of the funeral, where does Meursault meet Marie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Meursault eat on his first day back to work after his mother's funeral and what does he do after lunch?
2. How does Meursault spend the afternoon of the Sunday after his mother's funeral?
3. How does Meursault's acknowledgment that his mother's funeral was the day before affect Marie and what observations does she make regarding his treatment of his mother's death?
4. How does Meursault interpret the questions from his employer when he returns to work and why?
5. What are Salamano's thoughts on Meursault sending his mother to the home?
6. While Meursault considers the boiled potatoes he will have for dinner, who invites him for dinner and what is this person's appearance?
7. Where does Meursault go after the funeral and what does he plan to do there?
8. Who is Salamano and how do his neighbors respond to him?
9. Describe Meursault's dinner at Celeste's when Marie cannot meet him for dinner?
10. Describe the conversation that Raymond and Meursault have with Salamano about his missing dog.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay considering the role that punishment plays in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Select a physical setting from the novel, for example the cafe, the beach, etc. Then, explore the significance of the setting. How do the details of this setting contribute to plot and/or character development?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay in which you evaluate whether Meursault's decisions or forces out of his control have the most effect on his life and the outcome of the novel.
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)