|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Meursault hear through his walls after talking to Salamano about the missing dog?
2. How did Meursault know Marie?
3. What does Marie notice about Meursault's reaction to his mother's death?
4. How does Meursault respond to Salamano's news about the dog when he returns home from having dinner with the odd woman?
5. When Marie asks Meursault whether he loves her the first time, how does he respond?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Raymond and Meursault's night after they go to the police station together?
2. On what piece of clothing of Meursault's does Marie comment and what does this item represent?
3. How does Meursault respond when Marie asks him to marry her and how does he feel about the question?
4. While Meursault considers the boiled potatoes he will have for dinner, who invites him for dinner and what is this person's appearance?
5. What accommodations does Meursault ask his employer to make when he finds out his mother has died and how does the employer react?
6. Describe Meursault's preparations before boarding the bus to his mother's funeral.
7. Where does Meursault stay during his night in the village where his mother had lived and who stays with him?
8. How does Meursault spend the morning of the Sunday after his mother's funeral?
9. Where does Meursault eat on his first day back to work after his mother's funeral and what does he do after lunch?
10. When Raymond opens the door for the police, what does the policeman discover and who else is observing the situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on how foreshadowing is used as a literary device in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay evaluating the conclusion to the novel. Do you think it is complete or do you think it omits important details?
Essay Topic 3
Select a physical setting from the novel, for example the cafe, the beach, etc. Then, explore the significance of the setting. How do the details of this setting contribute to plot and/or character development?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)