|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Raymond feel that his mistress is treating him?
2. Why does Meursault refuse to call the police when the commotion is going on in Raymond's apartment?
3. On the first day that Meursault returns to work, who does he meet for lunch?
4. When Meursault returns to work, how does his employer respond?
5. Which of the following does Meursault NOT notice during his reflections the weekend after his mother's funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Meursault's preparations before boarding the bus to his mother's funeral.
2. Where does the caretaker of the nursing home take Meursault after his arrival and what does the caretaker offer to do in this place that Meursault refuses?
3. How does Meursault's acknowledgment that his mother's funeral was the day before affect Marie and what observations does she make regarding his treatment of his mother's death?
4. Where does Meursault eat on his first day back to work after his mother's funeral and what does he do after lunch?
5. Where does Meursault stay during his night in the village where his mother had lived and who stays with him?
6. Why does Meursault's employer chastise Meursault?
7. Describe the purpose of the letter that Meursault agrees to write for Raymond.
8. Describe the conversation that Meursault and Marie have about the job offer.
9. Describe Raymond and Meursault's night after they go to the police station together?
10. Where does Meursault meet Marie on the day after his mother's funeral and what do they spend the day doing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Meursault travels to his mother's funeral at the beginning of the novel. After that, most of his movement is confined to a small area, especially in prison. Write an essay explaining how movement and lack of movement influence the character and plot development.
Essay Topic 2
Select a physical setting from the novel, for example the cafe, the beach, etc. Then, explore the significance of the setting. How do the details of this setting contribute to plot and/or character development?
Essay Topic 3
Select one character from the novel other than Meursault. Then, compare and contrast the character with Meursault. What are the similarities and differences in mannerism, action, emotion, thought, and so on?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)