|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does Raymond's mistress call him?
2. How does Marie feel about the job Meursault was offered in Paris?
3. What does Meursault do on the way to visit his mother's village?
4. Where does Meursault eat before traveling to the village where his mother's retirement home is located?
5. How does Meursault show grief the weekend following his mother's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. After spending the night together the weekend after Meursault's first week back at work, what do Meursault and Marie talk about and what is his response?
2. What accommodations does Meursault ask his employer to make when he finds out his mother has died and how does the employer react?
3. Where does Meursault meet Marie on the day after his mother's funeral and what do they spend the day doing?
4. Where does Meursault go after the funeral and what does he plan to do there?
5. How does Meursault spend the morning of the Sunday after his mother's funeral?
6. Who is Salamano and how do his neighbors respond to him?
7. When Raymond opens the door for the police, what does the policeman discover and who else is observing the situation?
8. What are Salamano's thoughts on Meursault sending his mother to the home?
9. How does Meursault respond when Marie asks him to marry her and how does he feel about the question?
10. When Marie and Meursault hear a raucous disturbance coming from Raymond's apartment, what does Marie asks Meursault to do? How does he respond and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay in which you evaluate personal interaction in the novel. Consider how Meursault interacts with others and how they perceive his interaction.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay in which you evaluate whether Meursault's decisions or forces out of his control have the most effect on his life and the outcome of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay in which you examine the juxtaposition of life and death in the novel. How are these two themes used? Do the discussion of these themes produce similar or different results?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)