|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does Raymond's mistress call him?
2. What does Meursault do on the way to visit his mother's village?
3. What does Meursault hear through his walls after talking to Salamano about the missing dog?
4. What does Meursault do after eating with the odd woman?
5. Why is Raymond tense before going to the beach house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Meursault's employer chastise Meursault?
2. After spending the night together the weekend after Meursault's first week back at work, what do Meursault and Marie talk about and what is his response?
3. How does Meursault's acknowledgment that his mother's funeral was the day before affect Marie and what observations does she make regarding his treatment of his mother's death?
4. Who is Perez and what does he do during the funeral procession?
5. Where does the caretaker of the nursing home take Meursault after his arrival and what does the caretaker offer to do in this place that Meursault refuses?
6. Why is Meursault alone on the beach after the day he has spent with Raymond and other friends at the beach house?
7. Describe the events surrounding Meursault's killing of the Arab.
8. What does Meursault vow to do if he escapes his fate and why?
9. Where does Meursault stay during his night in the village where his mother had lived and who stays with him?
10. Who does Meursault's attorney talk to and what does he find when he investigates Meursault's background?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay in which you examine the juxtaposition of life and death in the novel. How are these two themes used? Do the discussion of these themes produce similar or different results?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay evaluating the conclusion to the novel. Do you think it is complete or do you think it omits important details?
Essay Topic 3
In much of the novel, Meursault seems to be resigned to his fate. Write an essay examining the idea of fate and discussing how it is explored in the novel.
This section contains 1,207 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)