|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the police leave Raymond's home, what do they tell Raymond to do?
2. On the first day that Meursault returns to work, who does he meet for lunch?
3. Whose beach house do Raymond, Meursault, and Marie visit?
4. Where does the funeral procession travel?
5. How old does Meursault say that his mother was at the time of her death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Meursault's experience washing his hands in the office when he returns to work.
2. How does Meursault spend the afternoon of the Sunday after his mother's funeral?
3. Where does Meursault go after the funeral and what does he plan to do there?
4. Describe Meursault's musings at the sun sets on the Sunday after his mother's funeral.
5. Describe Meursault's preparations before boarding the bus to his mother's funeral.
6. Who is Perez and what does he do during the funeral procession?
7. How does Meursault respond when Marie asks him to marry her and how does he feel about the question?
8. When Raymond opens the door for the police, what does the policeman discover and who else is observing the situation?
9. When Marie and Meursault hear a raucous disturbance coming from Raymond's apartment, what does Marie asks Meursault to do? How does he respond and why?
10. Why does Raymond invite Meursault to the police station with him and how does Meursault respond
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Select a physical setting from the novel, for example the cafe, the beach, etc. Then, explore the significance of the setting. How do the details of this setting contribute to plot and/or character development?
Essay Topic 2
Meursault encounters many different characters during the novel. Which of these characters do you think has the most influence on him? On whom do you think he has the most influence? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay evaluating the conclusion to the novel. Do you think it is complete or do you think it omits important details?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)