|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Meursault live at the start of the novel?
2. As the police leave Raymond's home, what do they tell Raymond to do?
3. How does Perez respond to the grief and exhaustion of the funeral procession?
4. What does Meursault do on the morning after his night with Marie?
5. What mode of transportation does Meursault take to the village where his mother's retirement home is located?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Meursault respond when Marie asks him to marry her and how does he feel about the question?
2. While Meursault considers the boiled potatoes he will have for dinner, who invites him for dinner and what is this person's appearance?
3. Describe Meursault's musings at the sun sets on the Sunday after his mother's funeral.
4. Describe the conversation that Meursault and Marie have about the job offer.
5. When Marie and Meursault hear a raucous disturbance coming from Raymond's apartment, what does Marie asks Meursault to do? How does he respond and why?
6. Where does Meursault stay during his night in the village where his mother had lived and who stays with him?
7. Describe Meursault's preparations before boarding the bus to his mother's funeral.
8. Describe Meursault's dinner at Celeste's when Marie cannot meet him for dinner?
9. How does Meursault interpret the questions from his employer when he returns to work and why?
10. Describe Raymond and Meursault's night after they go to the police station together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay in which you evaluate personal interaction in the novel. Consider how Meursault interacts with others and how they perceive his interaction.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay considering the role that punishment plays in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Select a physical setting from the novel, for example the cafe, the beach, etc. Then, explore the significance of the setting. How do the details of this setting contribute to plot and/or character development?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)